Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #4891
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There View Post
First half of my new to me garage painted, 5 gallons on so far. Lots of lighting to follow.

First time in 10 years I have had room for all of my toys. Now I even have room to acquire more cylinders.
Cool, whats your plan for the lighting?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #4892
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
almost finished

Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #4893
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingbear View Post

Very nice. Question, why the multi leveling in height leading in?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #4894
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

lift in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Very nice. Question, why the multi leveling in height leading in?
In the middle of the garage .. will be a lift. I wanted it high enough so I could lift my sprinter van 5 feet off the ground. The sprinter is 8ft 7 inch so you add 5 ft you will be at almost 14.. The middle is 16 ft high to the bottom of the trusses.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #4895
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
Cool, whats your plan for the lighting?
Still have not set a plan. Thinking of putting up (6-8) 96"L T8 florescent fixtures(Qty 4, 48"L bubs each). 2 in-line on each side plus 1 or 2 rows in the middle area. Plus a couple under cabinet lights over the future work bench.

Was looking at T5HO's and loved the bright light. Could not justify the bulb cost difference. Plus I kept reading that they should be put up ~ 14 feet while I only have 10' ceilings.

This is in a 32' x 28' foot 2 stall garage. If anyone has other lighting ideas or advice I am willing to listen.
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #4896
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There View Post
Still have not set a plan. Thinking of putting up (6-8) 96"L T8 florescent fixtures(Qty 4, 48"L bubs each). 2 in-line on each side plus 1 or 2 rows in the middle area. Plus a couple under cabinet lights over the future work bench.

Was looking at T5HO's and loved the bright light. Could not justify the bulb cost difference. Plus I kept reading that they should be put up ~ 14 feet while I only have 10' ceilings.

This is in a 32' x 28' foot 2 stall garage. If anyone has other lighting ideas or advice I am willing to listen.
I used a combination of T5ho and T8. I would have added another set of T5 to the main room. My ceiling are 16 and has a few dark spots in the corner.

My garge is 26 x52 3 pairs of T5ho and 1 pair of T8
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #4897
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 297
Closed on my man castle (oh yeah, with attached house) last Friday. Pressure wash/degrease/pressure wash/acid etch/pressure wash. 9 gallons of semi gloss on the walls (could have used another coat) and some LANL surplus powerplant epoxy paint on the floor. Start moving in tomorrow!

After cleanup:

After paint:

SantaFeTrailer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #4898
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by eod3mc View Post
starblade....looks like you have all the bases covered
+1
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #4899
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Well, it's been years of waiting, saving, planning and dreaming! I've read and reread this thread and a bunch of stuff over on garagejournal.com. But the WAC is finally starting to take shape. Let me explain. The WAC aka, Workshop Apartment Cabin is a place to call home when I am in the States and a workshop to keep the Moto-Fleet running! It's a hang out, a workshop, a vacation home, and an office. And it was built by fellow advriders!

With winters like these along the Minnesota North Shore of Lake Superior, one needs a workshop to restore bikes during the months were riding on 2 wheels isn't an option.

Highway 61

It all started during the first ever Minnesota North Shore Shindig, where I met MikeS. Behold, he was a log home builder, who knew a thing or two about contracting. A few months later he was framing the WAC. Before that could happen I had to do some clearing. One afternoon later, this is what I had.

The building was put on the far end of the 17 acres, giving me plenty of room to build a home someday on other parts of the property. It's a 50x30 slab on grade with a partition for livable space (kitchen/bathroom) on the ground floor as well as the workshop on the ground floor. Upstairs consists of a attic trusses with a large living room with plenty of space for pull out couches and a bedroom/office. The slab has two loops of Wirsbo in the cement for two zone heating (livable space and workshop).

Let the construction begin.

Kitchen window.

Progress continued through last fall.

Steel roof goes on and WAC get's wrapped! Mike worked hard on the steel roof and with great results.

The upstairs window has a good view of the lakes. It's fun watching freighters cruise the lake when they hug the Minnesota shore during strong westerly winds.

Another advrider, Arrowhead Rider greatly helped with the electrical rough in! Then came the poly closed cell foam insulation to keep the place above freezing during the long winters. Heat comes from a wood stove when I'm at the place and a Steffes off-peak furnance and Wirsbo infloor heat to keep the WAC above freezing.

The workshop has a high ceiling that will come in handy for future airplane work. I plan on installing some Tongue and Groove pine on the worshop ceiling and drywalling the rest.

More pics of the workshop partition.

The view outside the workshop window. Not bad!

The kitchen/dining room/living room area of the WAC. It's a work in progress, to date the drywall is all hung, taping and muding is ready to start!

More workshop ceiling pic.

Putting in a rock skirt around the base of the building. Should help prevent rotting wood when snow is piled along the house. I'm hoping to blend in the rock with the same material used for the walkway and retaining wall. That will come someday when I have extra $$$.

The 10x10 garage door, is big enough for most vehicles and airplanes, but energy efficient enough to hold in heat from the Wirsbo in the floor.

MikeS did a great job adding the face plate for a future second story deck overlooking the lake.

This is pretty much where it stands. Working on the interior finishing as I get time. But I already see this is going to be a couple years worth of tinkering! It's great having a place to work on bikes! I'm humbled by how many friends and family members have helped out on the place over the past few months. I'll post more pictures as I finish up the interior and the workshop. Thanks for watching!
WOW we have a winner gota love the cabin look, great job and great pics and comments of build
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #4900
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Nice cabin. Looks like it'll warm up nice. Were the scissor trusses packed with insulation. R- what ?
Siding looks tight. Makes me want to build.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #4901
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizo View Post
Were the scissor trusses packed with insulation. R- what ?
Pretty sure that's spray foam insulation.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #4902
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Garage floors

Ive been tempted to coat my ugly garage with something. Epoxy or some other surface that cleans easy. Also thinking about a race flag checkered grey and white tiles. Any ideas for a good cleanable surface. I work on my vehicles and try not to drip but its gonna happen.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #4903
Hakatan
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
Garage Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizo View Post
Ive been tempted to coat my ugly garage with something. Epoxy or some other surface that cleans easy. Also thinking about a race flag checkered grey and white tiles. Any ideas for a good cleanable surface. I work on my vehicles and try not to drip but its gonna happen.
You might check out the 'flooring' subforum on GarageJournal for recommendations
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #4904
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 75
The mothership "man cave" with the new 2013 KTM 500EXC getting farkled:

Farkling finished and ready for mountain adventures:

The "mobile man cave" with kayaks, mountain bikes, but no KTM on the front deck........yet:

AND
The "mobile man cave" test fitting the KTM on the front deck.

Now we put it all together and head to Colorado or Montana next season.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #4905
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueychief View Post

Now we put it all together and head to Colorado or Montana next season.
Wow. What kind of popup camper is that? Nice!

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote