ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #53626
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
If my OT falls through, which it might, I'd be up for some Danville riding Saturday. My Sunday is open so if the weather shits out anyone's riding or I can't make Saturday I'll be doing a dual sport loop then if anyone's interested.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #53627
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
If my OT falls through, which it might, I'd be up for some Danville riding Saturday. My Sunday is open so if the weather shits out anyone's riding or I can't make Saturday I'll be doing a dual sport loop then if anyone's interested.
I think I can change days to sunday. I need to do some logistics tonight.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #53628
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
The Scouts are on my shopping list. I don't know what the weather has been like back there, but have you worn them on a hot day? I'm wondering if they can be worn year 'round or if the waterproofing makes your feet sweat.
I wear mine year round, and have worn them in every kind of weather imaginable. Unfortunately, I still don't know how to answer your question. I mean, they're leather boots. If it's 100 degrees out, your feet are going to be hot a sweaty, probably just like your body and head. I've never thought "Damn my feet are hot in these boots", if that helps, but after any hot ride, when I take them off, my socks are sweaty and gross.

In short, and probably all I should've said, is that I don't find them any hotter/sweatier than any other boot.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #53629
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Tom and I are still planning on riding Danville on Saturday if anyone wants to join. The status has changed from noob ride to typical Danville stuff, and maybe explore the roads up around Loudonville. I rode quite a bit of gravel up there today and want to learn my way around better. If anyone is game speak up and we'll designate a meeting point....

Mpenner, I'm talking to you....
I think I am up for Saturday, but Sunday is definitely out for me.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #53630
ssreed84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
x
Sorry to hear that it's cancelled I would of went but I don't do roads.
ssreed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #53631
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 808
And Justice for All

So I was out riding last Saturday and got a performance award for doing 53 in a 35 zone on Blacksnake Road outside of Utica (where it is quite rural and would be 55 mph if it were not within the town limits). The fine was $120. When I got home and looked over the citation carefully, I found that the officer had inadvertently checked the OVI box and then scribbled it out a bit, but it could have easily been mistaken as being checked. Normally I would have just signed the ticket and mailed a check, but I did not want to inadvertently plead guilty to a drunk driving charge.

So I showed up at Mayor's Court to make sure that I was not being charged with OVI. The Magistrate treats me like an idiot when I try to verify that I was not cited for OVI, and cuts me off when I try to explain my concern.

For my trouble, I am given a $90 fine and charged $95 in court costs. The fine for the speeding ticket didn't bother me so much, but paying an extra $65 because the officer can't fill out a ticket properly is really irritating. I guess they need to charge you extra if you show up to court because if they didn't it would cut into their profit margin.

Fortunately, they can't read minds or I might have gotten stuck with a contempt of court charge as well.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000

mpenner screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 08:14 PM
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #53632
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,487
What a dick. My first speeding ticket was because of some prick in a white Oldsmobile bravada. He passed me at the light I was sitting still at..which the officer clocked him at. I was told by the mayor that I was a lying kid and to pay the ticket.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #53633
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
So I was out riding last Saturday and got a performance award for doing 53 in a 35 zone on Blacksnake Road outside of Utica (where it is quite rural and would be 55 mph if it were not within the town limits). The fine was $120. When I got home and looked over the citation carefully, I found that the officer had inadvertently checked the OVI box and then scribbled it out a bit, but it could have easily been mistaken as being checked. Normally I would have just signed the ticket and mailed a check, but I did not want to inadvertently plead guilty to a drunk driving charge.

So I showed up at Mayor's Court to make sure that I was not being charged with OVI. The Magistrate treats me like an idiot when I try to verify that I was not cited for OVI, and cuts me off when I try to explain my concern.

For my trouble, I am given a $90 fine and charged $95 in court costs. The fine for the speeding ticket didn't bother me so much, but paying an extra $65 because the officer can't fill out a ticket properly is really irritating. I guess they need to charge you extra if you show up to court because if they didn't it would cut into their profit margin.
That sucks. I've had my share of Utica police stupidity over the years, grew up there and the Fifeisms I've seen could fill a novel. That stretch of Blacksnake (between the town and the apartments before it gets curvy) is a place they like to pop speeders, and you're right it's way too slow for the conditions.

We had a break in when I lived in North Street when I was a teenager, turned out it was kids I went to school with, but anyway after we discover it we find out some of my older brother's guns are missing and that's a big deal. We call the local popo and when they showed up to "investigate" the fat little cop that showed up ran over our mailbox (without mentioning it), and when we invited him in he told us we'd have to lock our cat up first. It was asleep on the microwave. Apparently, aggressive 4lb cats could take a flying leap and take out a jugular.

So we show him what's missing and where they kicked in a basement window to get in. He tells us it's probably pros because they didn't leave any clues behind (I swear to god those were his exact words). There's a big footprint on the frame of the basement window, btw, but apparently that's not a clue.

A couple months later one of the kid's parents finds his stolen shit stash in a playhouse and we got our guns and some stuff back. CSI Utica, man.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #53634
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I'm sitting here waiting on an email, so I did a quick ebay search. Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-WR250...10a381&vxp=mtr
Good eye! I searched the wr forum classifieds and actually found the expired eBay link for that one, but I thought it sold. Guess it didn't and he reposted it.

I went ahead and bought it. $75 is better than the $160 I found it for online, and the $217 retail.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #53635
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
I think I am up for Saturday, but Sunday is definitely out for me.
as long as it's not pouring, 9-9:30 at my house and grab breakfast somewhere.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #53636
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssreed84 View Post
Sorry to hear that it's cancelled I would of went but I don't do roads.
go ahead - keep rubbing it in
Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #53637
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

More fall photo spam for your viewing pleasure:

Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #53638
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Well, I own a WR250R. It's in good shape. Was put down once and prettied back up. The left barkbuster is tweaked and the clutch lever is too. They're both very slight bends. It must have skinned the decal, because a new one was put on, but it has a wrinkle. Nothing worse than I'll do the first time I put it down.
It was lowered, I raised it back up as soon as I got it home. First impressions after a 15 mile spin. It's quicker than the Klr. It wheelies pretty easy in first. Not sure I like the low seat. I'll likely gear it down a little, its stock now. I didn't need sixth on the first ride. I'll put some more miles on before I decide. Its been de-emmissioned, not sure I care. No fuel programmer, stock exhaust. It feels like a go cart compared to the klr, really nimble and tossable. I can pick it up by myself, I mean clear off the ground.
Mike, why does yours have black fork protectors and over the headlight? Did you swap them?
Also, mine has aftermarket aluminum bars (maybe bent when put down), they're going to need to be higher. Are you guys using riser spacers or even higher bars?
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #53639
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Zach calls me scary - looks like the two of you have moved into striking distance of an award winning meal. I think he knows some trails too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
go to smokin' lonestar on facebook - he is part of a bbq team as it were
Hmm, 560 miles away... we're practically neighbors!
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #53640
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
...Not sure I like the low seat... ...Mike, why does yours have black fork protectors and over the headlight? Did you swap them?
I painted all the white plastics on mine black with Krylon Fusion plastic spray paint, and added some cheap (white) Yamaha decals to the fork protectors. Going with black plastics would obviously be the better solution in the long run, but mine cost $10, and they'll get dirty and beat up either way.

(He deleted the ad so I can't tell) This low seat you speak of... is it the step seat or a home-made job? If it's somewhat comfortable, I'd be interested in swapping you for a factory seat if you want. PM me and perhaps we can work something out.