Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Our prisons are horrible.
Unless you got a real purty mouth. Then you can get bubba to protect you.

Best just to tell the truth.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #17
vfxdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale_Kat View Post
Thinking creatively on the matter, not deceptively. If you rented a pickup, you and a friend could retrieve the bike for less than $1000.
You would need a very fancy pickup to retrieve anything from the South Pass at the moment. If you took a regular pickup in as far as it would go, you'd probably be facing a bill for $1K just for repairs. It is really, really rough there and even the serious 4WD gang are having issues getting through.

I'm sure though that there will be someone around with a truck with lots of ground clearance, large wheels, locking hubs etc who would be willing to help this guy get his bike out. I'd happily drive up from LA and do it except I don't have a 4-wheeled vehicle that could even get close.
vfxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,255
I carry straps and stuff on my rack. I've found several people broke down/out o' gas/injured in the desert around here and never really been much help. but hopefully I can change that. One time I ran out of gas on my way to the station and some old man in a Polaris Ranger just happened to be on the same trail as me coming the opposite way. He gave a ride ride to the gas station and back . Turned out to be a fun day.

Breaking down in the desert sucks bad. Even in a "popular" area, you don't see too many people. And even less are willing to help it seems.

Sorry about your luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
Heino OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thanks for all your advice. Talked to the insurance, told them what happened and they're sending a tow truck. It was a hassle. I don't have cell service, we got disconnected about 5 times. I called them like 25 times from a paid phone. Altogether it took around 3 hours.. Anyway, they have me covered as it looks. This is good! The only downside: The tow truck might not come here until Monday and I wanted to be in LA for a Big Bang Theory filming on Tuesday. Guess that's not going to happen now. I'm just curious if it's totaled or not. But it looks like I have enough time here in Lone Pine to make plans for both scenarios and figure out how to finish my trip. I don't want to leave without doing Hwy 1 between LA and SF..This is my biggest concern right now..

EDIT: Oh, and that whole lying thing was just desperation speaking, not something I would have been comfortable with..

EDIT 2: Man, I'm getting old: In case the bike is totaled, do they consider the value of all the farkles? Or, if not, can I take that stuff of? I have aftermarket exhaust, windshield and seat. The stock versions of these items are lying around in SF. So if I can somehow the logistic issue, I could just put everything back to stock condition and sell those parts.

Heino screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 03:21 PM
Heino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 789
No tow till Monday???
That's unacceptable.
I see someone has posted a local tow service so call them and see if they can recover ASAP, then have them call your insurance company and work it out.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
Heino OP
Adventurer

Back to no tow at all for now. The local company wants $2400, the insurance's $4000 and the insurance only covers up to $800. Guess I'm back where I started this morning..
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Can you JB weld something onto the engine case to either reconnect the oil cooler, or bypass it completely?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
Heino OP
Adventurer

I might be able to JB weld it, bypassing won't work. But the problem is, the bike is about 90 miles away from me.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
holckster
dougholck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heino View Post
Back to no tow at all for now. The local company wants $2400, the insurance's $4000 and the insurance only covers up to $800. Guess I'm back where I started this morning..
Check with that Saline 4Wheel group refrenced earlier or back to the diner/bar/gas station/truckstop stalking routine and ask if someone wants to make a quick $800.00 ????? Offer to keep gas tank full and buy a case of their favorite brew.

These guys usually go out there for zip and break stuff that costs them $$$$$$$.

Sounds like my stock GMC Yukon 4X is inadequate or I'd be tempted.

How about finding/flagging down another motorcyclist with an offroad bike that could give you ride 2 up out to the bike and tow you out?

Edit:
Exactly what bike are we talking about and which line/location is damaged?
There are some extreemly creative people here who might have repair solution?
Post on a forum specific to your bike for more ideas.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

holckster screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 10:47 PM
Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #25
Heino OP
Adventurer

Doug, one of your numbers was successful! Awesome! Now I can go check out the bars here in town and actually have a drink instead of asking random people for help.

The part that is broken is the fixing on the engine where the oil pipe from the oil cooler comes in. Welding it back on is probably not an option since space is very limited down there. One easy fix I could imagine would be to take a little off of the flat side of the part that has broken off and drilling the thread in the engine a little deeper, so that the bolt actually threads to the engine again. A more advanced option would include flattening out both surfaces where it broke and also drill a deeper thread. I don't know how hard it is to make it flat perfectly perpendicular to the thread, though. Just my German engineering ;)

I'll see where it goes from tomorrow! Thanks so much! Pictures of all this will be included in my ride report. I guess I cannot not write on anymore after all the help I received through ADV. My weekends until spring next year are herewith booked..
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #26
vfxdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
It would help us help you if you posted the details of your bike.

You say bypassing the cooler is impractical- what about blocking off that union completely, as well as its counterpart? Is it the flow side, or return? A lot of coolers only take fractional flow so that might be a solution for the meantime.
vfxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #27
holckster
dougholck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heino View Post
Doug, one of your numbers was successful! Awesome! Now I can go check out the bars here in town and actually have a drink instead of asking random people for help. ..
Glad someone answered your call.
Never be afraid to ask for help, hard to tell by looking know who might offer a random act of kindness.

Are you going to need a lift to a dealer or back to San Francisco ????
Call me 209/747-6453,
I need a 7 hour headstart.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

holckster screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 06:11 PM
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,418
Yeah, this. About a hunnert year ago Miller saved me from the results of my own underpreparation and poor planning.

Won't be cheap, tho...

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxdog View Post
As you're in Lone Pine, talk to Miller Towing. They specialize in getting vehicles out of areas like the South Pass. They might even be able to tell you if your recovery insurance will be of any use.

There's also an association of Saline Valley regulars who have a forum

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/

Some of them still use the South Pass (even though it is in terrible condition) and if you post on their forum someone might even offer to help you extract your bike. In any event the rangers will insist it's removed and might even do it at your cost if there's any delay.

In terms of repairs, why not post details of your bike and you might even get some cost-effective suggestions for getting you up and running.

As far as claiming from your insurance goes- if there's any sniff of a lie, the discussion will probably be very brief.

Good luck.
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
Magilla
Team Doom Member

Oddometer: 165
Talking We made it

Went and got Henry's bike today. Took a stock 3/4 ton supercab shortbed with our 16 ft flat bed down the south pass (ok so the trailer needs new lights)and got his bike. Then proceeded out the north pass cause I'm not sure I could have drug the trailer back up. Long day in the truck. Tomorrow we see what we can do about repairs.

Millers is ok but the prices are HIGH

Magilla, son of Stonewall, brother of Rocketboy

Magilla screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 08:24 PM
Magilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #30
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,596