User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
milk budda OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Off Road Ruckus

I decided to take my 50cc Ruckus on some true offroad trails....

I was out in Colorado riding last month and one day after riding my little Ruckus down to the town of Cotopaxi looking for some property....

I thought why not head up to the Four Mile area? Thats some fun riding and I'm sure I could put together a good 100mile ride on my way to Johnson Village to refuel...

So I took off up Alpine Ridge out of Salida to see what the little Ruckus would do?

12 mph all the way up ..was a little disheartening but...

The views and the down hills make it all worth while...
And since it looked like things might be a little slow going I figured the more messed up the trail the more fun I'd probably have....

On this up hill..I think its 185 the speedo was sitting on the stop but I was moving ...Really Slowly
but remember what goes up must come down and 30 mph standing up on the Ruckus over rocks and crap makes the climb so worth it!

1423 Motorcycle/Atv trail was a blast....whoops and mostly down hill from my side so 30 mph here we go..

If you look close in this one..to the right you can make out the trail and two motorbikes ...ya those guys got a pretty laugh when they saw me riding by..

did a little of this just to see if I could?

Started really beating the crap out of the underbelly of the poor Ruckus on this stuff, so I turned around and Vowed to build her a proper skid plate
and come back for more!!!!!!

next was the long stretch of deep sand and you know what those fat little tires float pretty well ...don't really turn worth a crap with no power to push ya thru the sand but not many "pucker" moments...

All in all it was ....A BLAST....
Standing up takes some getting used to..and really got a little squirrely when it started to rain...(maybe some grip tape on that plastic floorboard?)
And after I left Colorado, I took off to Utah...Park City area and road the Ruckus on every trail I could find for a week....got a little video maybe I'll try and post that stuff later. Off Road Ruckus

milk budda screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 07:08 PM Reason: pics not showing????
milk budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
kyhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Great pics! Looks like a good time! I've been missing my ruckus lately. It was slow, bare bones, no suspension but it was just crazy fun!
kyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Did you ride your Ruck all the way to those places?

I'm torn. I'm going to be taking a two-week road trip up to Colorado...my Burgman 650 is the logical choice, it can keep up with the fastest rural traffic and provide a few thrills. But...I COULD take the Big Ruckus; save a little on gas, make it a true minimalist trip.

It would be about a 2000-mile round trip, plus the cruising. I do gotta admit the BR isn't all that much fun on the twisties; but - while it's not an off-road ride - it's a hell of a lot more solid on rough pavement or gravel.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,228
Very cool.

When I had my Genuine Rattler 50 I tried it off road a couple of times and it jarred the heck out of me.

Looks like some fun exploring though.

Four stroke 50cc at altitude...cough, cough wheeze!
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
milk budda OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No I did not ride it all the way out to Colorado. But the idea of riding it cross country is brewing in my mind. I've ridden cross country on my big bike.....

...and I've ridden the Honda Ruckus 200 mile day trips down in Fla,. and 100+ in Indiana....
The Ruckus is a lot of fun!

But if TIME is at all a factor.... @ 20mph ... the little bike will play with your mind and perhaps your frustration level.

Casey Jones:
If you are at all on the fence about which bike to take ....take the one that will make you most happy!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Chewing on that.

I was to leave yesterday; ten days earlier I took the Burgman in to have heated grips installed.

They botched the job and broke something - the part is on order; it's "been shipped." Famous last words, like "the check's in the mail."

I'll decide tomorrow - if the Burgman is still laid up, I might just have a go for it on the BR. I have no saddlebags, though...so gear space will be extremely limited, to just a tailbag.

It's probably doable. The BR can cruise at 50 all day and make it up to 68.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
milk budda OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Utah Wasatch Mountians

Well here are a few pictures from out in Utah......

out of my camp site I headed out to Brighton Ski Resort from the Midway area....nice twisty paved up hill

Turns to a well maintained dirt road over Guardian Pass...

made it to Brighton now down to Salt Lake ...to the Honda dealer...figure I should give the little Ruckus a new air filter, even
though she goes pretty well at altitude...as long as your not above 9,800 ft.. out in Colorado at 10,000ft she was struggling a little harder up hill.

all paved on the way to Salt Lake...mostly cause I don't know the area at all just look at a map at night an take off the next day with a tentative route in mind??

Nice road....and all down hill with a 40mph speed limit...I fit right in!

Found the dealership and THEY WERE CLOSED..on Mondays???? So decided to have some fun.....
.Sponsorship Photo

Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
milk budda OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another Day in Utah

Had more time so I studied the map a little better and found some good Forest roads..

Yea I rode that whole road behind me ...

on the way to American Fork Canyon jeep road...

my little out and back detour...that was fun!

The signs "Warning" meant I was headed in the right direction

Road was a bit rocky......and a bit long...

But I figured if you can ride it on an ATV...I can ride it on a Ruckus...so I just enjoyed the rest of the ride!

made it out to some Lake? ....then hit the ALPINE LOOP...If your in Utah with a bike and you have time ride this road!!
It goes thru the Uintah and the Wasatch its smooth, twisty and narrow, runs along a river, thru the aspens, and the views are great!

Utah is starting to be a lot of fun!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Nice!!!
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
milk budda OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Video in Utah

This is the video of me riding the Ruckus on some advance ATV trail in the Wasatch Mountains in Utah the end of August 2012. Sorry it so long just put the GoPro on and let it run?
After I rode this a guy renting ATV's near there told me I was crazy for taking the Ruckus up there cause..
"they lost four ATV's up there last year alone."

milk budda screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 01:02 PM Reason: looks
milk budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,571

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote