Air filter discussion

There is some recent airfilter discussion here too
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...57040&page=260
Old 10-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #6017
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
What kind of oil do you think is best?

No recent posts.....have we solved all the 690 issues?

C'mon, somebody out there have a complaint or a pic of their new rally fairing held on by industrial velcro?

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #6018
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
waiting on Crank. dont want to give up on the 690 but................
Im sure this will fix the problems............throwing money away anyway if I dumnp it now
and
there is nothing out there I want to replace it with...........bikes and beer are my only vises that cost $$ so I can have almost anything ....just dont see it.
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #6019
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 776
front tire quandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

C'mon, somebody out there have a complaint or a pic of their new rally fairing held on by industrial velcro?
Okay, I've got a complaint...

I have been through a metric shit ton of tires on my bikes and usually once I find a set that works for a particular bike, that is all I will ever buy for it again. Here lies the problem: I've run all sorts of non-dot tires on the 690 and the michelin HP4 front was the only one I ever truly liked (yes Bobzilla I ran an m12 already and it chunked like none other). I've run quite a few DOT fronts including: mt21, d606, k760, motoz h/t, motoz s/t, motoz x-circuit and probably more that I can't remember... ALL of the DOT tires sucked!

Being that my current motoz s/t (my least favorite tire in any on or offroad situation) is ready for the dumpster, it is time to experiment some more. I've been really curious about the pirelli 486 https://www.denniskirk.com/front-sco...re.p643248.prd and have found no reviews/ input whatsoever, anyone here ever run one?

I ride the 690 like a dirtbike and don't care too much about mileage (as long as it last at least as long as a non-dot knobby on the rear does) and very little about onroad handling. The vast majority of the terrain that I ride is very hard packed with sharp/loose rocks on top and coarse desert sand. The only front tires other than the 486 that are currently on my radar are the dunlop 908 and the michelin desert and I've never run any of these.

So what says the 690 brotherhood? Stick with the non-dot HP4 or try the p486/ d908/ or m desert?

P.S. somebody buy my uprated (9.0) rear spring in the flea market so I can afford a new tire!
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #6020
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Okay, I've got a complaint...

I have been through a metric shit ton of tires on my bikes and usually once I find a set that works for a particular bike, that is all I will ever buy for it again. Here lies the problem: I've run all sorts of non-dot tires on the 690 and the michelin HP4 front was the only one I ever truly liked (yes Bobzilla I ran an m12 already and it chunked like none other). I've run quite a few DOT fronts including: mt21, d606, k760, motoz h/t, motoz s/t, motoz x-circuit and probably more that I can't remember... ALL of the DOT tires sucked!

Being that my current motoz s/t (my least favorite tire in any on or offroad situation) is ready for the dumpster, it is time to experiment some more. I've been really curious about the pirelli 486 https://www.denniskirk.com/front-sco...re.p643248.prd and have found no reviews/ input whatsoever, anyone here ever run one?

I ride the 690 like a dirtbike and don't care too much about mileage (as long as it last at least as long as a non-dot knobby on the rear does) and very little about onroad handling. The vast majority of the terrain that I ride is very hard packed with sharp/loose rocks on top and coarse desert sand. The only front tires other than the 486 that are currently on my radar are the dunlop 908 and the michelin desert and I've never run any of these.

So what says the 690 brotherhood? Stick with the non-dot HP4 or try the p486/ d908/ or m desert?

P.S. somebody buy my uprated (9.0) rear spring in the flea market so I can afford a new tire!
I ran the MotoZ HT's front and rear in MX and they worked well.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #6021
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I ran the MotoZ HT's front and rear in MX and they worked well.

I've run the H/T's already and while the rear worked pretty good, the front just didn't seem to have enough "bite." The rear worked good for the wide open stuff but the x-circuit rear had the advantage in both cornering and longevity so that will definately be my next rear tire.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to (keep in mind this is only in regards to the front tire) pirelli 486, michelin desert, or dunlop 908. Of these tires, how do they fair for my described terrain?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #6022
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
I say Michelin Des. Expensive, but a good one. Ever looked at Mitas?

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #6023
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Bridgestone ED 78 rear / Maxxis Desert IT front
Works very well in hard/ rocky desert stuff
Great in sand...
Readily available and cheaper than Motoz/Michelin
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #6024
Tootega
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Mitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
MITAS work well for me. Ive used the EF07 and the CO2 do.t with 18mm knobs on the rear. The best value for lots of pavement/rocky is the Army tyre.
Tootega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #6025
karinjtimoyht
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
i do not have an ignition switch itself
Just two kill switches One kills all power and the other is just an engaine kill
my well have a look at the switches
karinjtimoyht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #6026
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
+1. A lot of Dakar pedigree on the Michelin Desert. Isn't the HP4 a motocross tyre? How long did it last?
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #6027
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
+1. A lot of Dakar pedigree on the Michelin Desert. Isn't the HP4 a motocross tyre? How long did it last?
Yes the HP4 is a MX tire specifically for extremely hard packed "blue-groove" but the funny thing is that it lasted longer than all the other fronts I ran (~2500 miles before cupping enough to dismount.) I still have that tire on the shelf and had thought about remounting it in the other direction to see if it squares back up... realistically it will just be a spare for one of my tightwad friends!

I may still try the michelin desert just so I won't always have to wonder how it works. It can't be worse than the motoz s/t that's on the front now (fingers crossed!) I do wonder if it is very narrow like the "90width" michelin m12 (measures closer to 80mm) I have or if it is a wider carcass like the "90width" michelin HP4 (measures closer to 95mm), it sure would be nice if they would standardize!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #6028
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
I am really liking the Pirelli Scorpion Rally
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #6029
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
I've been running the Scorion Pro for several years now, but our soil is a little more moist up here. I average 1200 miles per tire, 70% dirt.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #6030
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

that scorpion rally is actually looking like a good option... I think I'll order one! Thanks Uller!