ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #70246
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,926
Yep, it's 9:03 here.
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,400 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #70247
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
Its right between 9 and 10 o clock. It could probably rotate a bit clockwise, Doesn't look to stressed, but I'll keep that in mind during re assembly.
If you don't wind up being able to get it working and it looks like you're going to have to buy a new speedometer unit, I'd recommend saving your money and just snagging a TrailTech Vapor or something. Honestly, I'd probably go ahead and do it anyways lol. Got to start the farkling somewhere.
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #70248
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
Its right between 9 and 10 o clock. It could probably rotate a bit clockwise, Doesn't look to stressed, but I'll keep that in mind during re assembly.
Also be aware of the little cable guide loop on the fender for the speedo cable. If your cable does not pass through the guide, then on hard stops or off road riding the speedo cable will be stressed and break prematurely.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #70249
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox
 
Willwilkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Was Oz, now London
Oddometer: 617
Brakes???????

I love my DR650, had it since new and done loads of mods to improve it, except the brakes. How d'you make them stop better? The brakes on mine have always left me feeling pretty underwhelmed. I've got braided hoses and decent pads, but there's a fair bit of weight to haul up especially if loaded.
Any mods/comments
__________________
"Don't worry" they said "It could be worse"
So I didn't worry and it did get worse!

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #70250
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Eh? What the....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
I love my DR650, had it since new and done loads of mods to improve it, except the brakes. How d'you make them stop better? The brakes on mine have always left me feeling pretty underwhelmed. I've got braided hoses and decent pads, but there's a fair bit of weight to haul up especially if loaded.
Any mods/comments
Good Lord......my suggestion..get a smaller bike. If thats you on that bike you make it look like an xr650l on steroids DR's aren't normally skyscraper tall, so I'm guessing thats about a 5 footer sitting on it. A lower, lighter bike will definately stop and handle better And that 7 gallon tank isn't going to help stopping any
First time I've ever seen someone make the stock bars look like apehangers

Now show us some real pics
And if those ARE real pics forgive me.....its all in fun
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #70251
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxaero View Post
From the reading I did prior to getting the work done, it seems in 06 or 07 suzuki released a new 3rd gear that replaced the old one. I'm assuming it was done in an effort to address the issues with the gear blowing up. I decided to go a head and replace my gear with the newest one instead of buying the billet unit. Hopefully I don't regret it.
The new Suzuki 3rd has also blown up...
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #70252
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
Oh excellent, it's being done already. Can't wait for them to make this available in Australia.
BTW the picture is of the Hayes bike I mentioned, not the altius.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #70253
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox
 
Willwilkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Was Oz, now London
Oddometer: 617
Is this me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Good Lord......my suggestion..get a smaller bike. If thats you on that bike you make it look like an xr650l on steroids DR's aren't normally skyscraper tall, so I'm guessing thats about a 5 footer sitting on it. A lower, lighter bike will definately stop and handle better And that 7 gallon tank isn't going to help stopping any
First time I've ever seen someone make the stock bars look like apehangers

Now show us some real pics
And if those ARE real pics forgive me.....its all in fun
The other problem is that when I go really fast, my skirt keeps blowing up. Can you help?


__________________
"Don't worry" they said "It could be worse"
So I didn't worry and it did get worse!

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #70254
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Laugh As the Beatles would say..."I can help"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
The other problem is that when I go really fast, my skirt keeps blowing up. Can you help?


Whatever you need
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #70255
PhL0aTeR
10:90
 
PhL0aTeR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Color-red-o
Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Also be aware of the little cable guide loop on the fender for the speedo cable. If your cable does not pass through the guide, then on hard stops or off road riding the speedo cable will be stressed and break prematurely.
All good there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
If you don't wind up being able to get it working and it looks like you're going to have to buy a new speedometer unit, I'd recommend saving your money and just snagging a TrailTech Vapor or something. Honestly, I'd probably go ahead and do it anyways lol. Got to start the farkling somewhere.
I spent an hour thinking about getting the vapor before i ordered the cable last week, so I'm already halfway there.... Lol. Honestly,i couldn't find a decent pic of a vapor installed to give me a good idea of what it would look like.
__________________
2006 Suzuki DR650
PhL0aTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #70256
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Georgetown, In / Costa Rica
Oddometer: 624
Sealed Rims on DR

Planning a month or longer trip into Mexico this winter. Thinking of sealing my DR rims so that I could run tubeless and just plug a tire if I get a nail or something. A lot quicker and easier than changing a tube on the side of the road. I read in another older thread that Grifter was planning on doing that to his DR but there was no results posted. Has anyone done this on their DR and what were the results, I am running stock wheels so the Tubeliss system is not a option? What about running tires designed for tubes tubeless on sealed rims without tubes?

I have already decided on the rims sealing procedure that I will and have supplies on hand. Just interested in the results that other DR riders have had.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
__________________
TRAVELGUY
DL1000 '05 black
DL 650 '06 Red
DR650 '07
.
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #70257
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer
 
lamotovita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA/AZ, USA
Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post

I have already decided on the rims sealing procedure that I will and have supplies on hand.

TravelGuy
Sorry I don't have any DR experience to relate but I'd like to know what "procedure" you will be using.
I've never heard of a succesfull tubeless conversion on rims without a tubeless type bead area (safety bead).
__________________
Beaten paths are for beaten men.

lamotovita screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 11:52 AM
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #70258
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Planning a month or longer trip into Mexico this winter. Thinking of sealing my DR rims so that I could run tubeless and just plug a tire if I get a nail or something. A lot quicker and easier than changing a tube on the side of the road. I read in another older thread that Grifter was planning on doing that to his DR but there was no results posted. Has anyone done this on their DR and what were the results, I am running stock wheels so the Tubeliss system is not a option? What about running tires designed for tubes tubeless on sealed rims without tubes?

I have already decided on the rims sealing procedure that I will and have supplies on hand. Just interested in the results that other DR riders have had.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
Sorry for not doing a better update on my Tubeless attempt. I used a 3M
Marine sealer for the spoke nipples and enlarged the valve stem hole for a tubeless valve stem. It would not hold air.

I'm not sure of the reason. I think the tubeless Distanzia I used would not butt up close enough to the stock 17" wheel bead to form a seal. Could not air it up ... or .... some how I missed something (quite possible) and didn't seal the wheel good enough??

The very best option on this, IMHO, is to send your DR650 wheel to Woody's Wheel Works and let him seal it up right to make it a tubeless affair.

But here is my worry:
Lets say you get a flat on the road. You plug the hole ... but lets say the bead has broken (this typically won't happen on a real tubeless rim, but the stock DR rim is NOT a tubeless rim) So if the bead is broken ... how do you re-inflate on the side of the road with CO-2 or hand pump?

Woody may recommend you buy a NEW WHEEL that will work tubeless, but that could limit tire choice. So some things to think over.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Not many have done this on a DR650 that I know of. I hope you will follow up with any info you find on this and do a better job than I did documenting.

All the best!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #70259
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
I love my DR650, had it since new and done loads of mods to improve it, except the brakes. How d'you make them stop better? The brakes on mine have always left me feeling pretty underwhelmed. I've got braided hoses and decent pads, but there's a fair bit of weight to haul up especially if loaded.
Any mods/comments
There are few options to choose here:
One is to service your calipers, clean/polish pistons well, bleed all fluid & air out of system. Add New fluid. Next, clean up rotors with Steel Wool or light sanding, then wipe off with Brake Clean. Clean rotors every month or so.

Next:
I had been using less expensive EBC pads on my DR650 for a couple years. Braking force seemed to get worse as they wore down. I swapped in an old pair on OEM Nissin pads ... and WOW! Braking was up by about 20%! I believe EBC pads glaze and bite is reduced over time/use.

I've since gone back to Nissin pads. Deals can be found on them if you dig around the net. Way better performance in my experience. Rear brake, EBC seems to work OK. I don't want a really over sensitive rear brake, so the Red EBC pads out back are OK for now ... and they last well.

Next option UP is to go with a bigger front Rotor. EBC make one and probably others like: Braking, Galfer and Nissin and various Chinese options on EBay. Most provide an adapter ... so pretty much plug and play.
Should make BIG improvement in braking power up front.

I would start with the cheap things and work your way up.
I know where you're coming from carrying all the weight on a RTW ride. Lots of extra weight really points out the weakness of standard braking.

Mongolia on a DR!! How did that go?
Good luck with your book!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #70260
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer
 
badweatherbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: North Florida
Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
you are right - perhaps a faulty assumption on my part to assume when he answered your question about cold start, he did not mean the engine was actually cold. i guess we need to wait for werification from the source.

doug s.
It will start without the enricher from cold, meaning cold motor not ran that day.
It starts beautifully, idles smooth too.
I taped the airbox 3/4 closed up couple days ago and finally got around to riding it a bit ago (im at work) and that made it worse, twist the throttle a bit fast and it boggs down. I cleaned the little elbow fiter and same thing. again, plugs were a little on the whitish-greyish side s I dunno. exhaust smells like a damn lawn mower.

I have a rattle somewhere I cant diagnose when I hit some bumps almost a squeal kinda tin sounding. I had some barkbuster knockoffs but they wouldnt work and one of the threaded stoppers inside the handlebars is missing so need to change them out, they are older purple bars on a yellow bike when it gets a bit colder im gonna need some wind deflectors.
stupid kickstand hits the swingarm also, nice little groove there.
__________________
1996 Kawasaki KZ1000P (currently being rebuilt)
World class nutritional supplements, weight loss, meal replacement shakes, quality energy drinks, pre and post workout supplements!
Earn extra income, become a distributor or just purchase:
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014