Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #70261
PhL0aTeR
10:90

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Make sure your speedo drive isn't installed in the wrong position. If it's rotated back too far it will put a bend in the housing and overstress the inner cable.
Its right between 9 and 10 o clock. It could probably rotate a bit clockwise, Doesn't look to stressed, but I'll keep that in mind during re assembly.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #70262
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
Its right between 9 and 10 o clock.
Sounds just right.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #70263
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,129
Yep, it's 9:03 here.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #70264
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Its right between 9 and 10 o clock. It could probably rotate a bit clockwise, Doesn't look to stressed, but I'll keep that in mind during re assembly.
If you don't wind up being able to get it working and it looks like you're going to have to buy a new speedometer unit, I'd recommend saving your money and just snagging a TrailTech Vapor or something. Honestly, I'd probably go ahead and do it anyways lol. Got to start the farkling somewhere.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #70265
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Also be aware of the little cable guide loop on the fender for the speedo cable. If your cable does not pass through the guide, then on hard stops or off road riding the speedo cable will be stressed and break prematurely.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #70266
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
Brakes???????

I love my DR650, had it since new and done loads of mods to improve it, except the brakes. How d'you make them stop better? The brakes on mine have always left me feeling pretty underwhelmed. I've got braided hoses and decent pads, but there's a fair bit of weight to haul up especially if loaded.
Any mods/comments

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #70267
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Eh? What the....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
I love my DR650, had it since new and done loads of mods to improve it, except the brakes. How d'you make them stop better? The brakes on mine have always left me feeling pretty underwhelmed. I've got braided hoses and decent pads, but there's a fair bit of weight to haul up especially if loaded.
Any mods/comments
Good Lord......my suggestion..get a smaller bike. If thats you on that bike you make it look like an xr650l on steroids DR's aren't normally skyscraper tall, so I'm guessing thats about a 5 footer sitting on it. A lower, lighter bike will definately stop and handle better And that 7 gallon tank isn't going to help stopping any
First time I've ever seen someone make the stock bars look like apehangers

Now show us some real pics
And if those ARE real pics forgive me.....its all in fun
Old 10-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #70268
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxaero View Post
From the reading I did prior to getting the work done, it seems in 06 or 07 suzuki released a new 3rd gear that replaced the old one. I'm assuming it was done in an effort to address the issues with the gear blowing up. I decided to go a head and replace my gear with the newest one instead of buying the billet unit. Hopefully I don't regret it.
The new Suzuki 3rd has also blown up...
Old 10-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #70269
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
Oh excellent, it's being done already. Can't wait for them to make this available in Australia.
BTW the picture is of the Hayes bike I mentioned, not the altius.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #70270
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
Is this me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Good Lord......my suggestion..get a smaller bike. If thats you on that bike you make it look like an xr650l on steroids DR's aren't normally skyscraper tall, so I'm guessing thats about a 5 footer sitting on it. A lower, lighter bike will definately stop and handle better And that 7 gallon tank isn't going to help stopping any
First time I've ever seen someone make the stock bars look like apehangers

Now show us some real pics
And if those ARE real pics forgive me.....its all in fun
The other problem is that when I go really fast, my skirt keeps blowing up. Can you help?

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #70271
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Laugh As the Beatles would say..."I can help"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
The other problem is that when I go really fast, my skirt keeps blowing up. Can you help?

Whatever you need
Old 10-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #70272
PhL0aTeR
10:90

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Also be aware of the little cable guide loop on the fender for the speedo cable. If your cable does not pass through the guide, then on hard stops or off road riding the speedo cable will be stressed and break prematurely.
All good there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
If you don't wind up being able to get it working and it looks like you're going to have to buy a new speedometer unit, I'd recommend saving your money and just snagging a TrailTech Vapor or something. Honestly, I'd probably go ahead and do it anyways lol. Got to start the farkling somewhere.
I spent an hour thinking about getting the vapor before i ordered the cable last week, so I'm already halfway there.... Lol. Honestly,i couldn't find a decent pic of a vapor installed to give me a good idea of what it would look like.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #70273
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 588
Sealed Rims on DR

Planning a month or longer trip into Mexico this winter. Thinking of sealing my DR rims so that I could run tubeless and just plug a tire if I get a nail or something. A lot quicker and easier than changing a tube on the side of the road. I read in another older thread that Grifter was planning on doing that to his DR but there was no results posted. Has anyone done this on their DR and what were the results, I am running stock wheels so the Tubeliss system is not a option? What about running tires designed for tubes tubeless on sealed rims without tubes?

I have already decided on the rims sealing procedure that I will and have supplies on hand. Just interested in the results that other DR riders have had.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #70274
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post

I have already decided on the rims sealing procedure that I will and have supplies on hand.

TravelGuy
Sorry I don't have any DR experience to relate but I'd like to know what "procedure" you will be using.
I've never heard of a succesfull tubeless conversion on rims without a tubeless type bead area (safety bead).

lamotovita screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 10:52 AM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #70275
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Planning a month or longer trip into Mexico this winter. Thinking of sealing my DR rims so that I could run tubeless and just plug a tire if I get a nail or something. A lot quicker and easier than changing a tube on the side of the road. I read in another older thread that Grifter was planning on doing that to his DR but there was no results posted. Has anyone done this on their DR and what were the results, I am running stock wheels so the Tubeliss system is not a option? What about running tires designed for tubes tubeless on sealed rims without tubes?

I have already decided on the rims sealing procedure that I will and have supplies on hand. Just interested in the results that other DR riders have had.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
Sorry for not doing a better update on my Tubeless attempt. I used a 3M
Marine sealer for the spoke nipples and enlarged the valve stem hole for a tubeless valve stem. It would not hold air.

I'm not sure of the reason. I think the tubeless Distanzia I used would not butt up close enough to the stock 17" wheel bead to form a seal. Could not air it up ... or .... some how I missed something (quite possible) and didn't seal the wheel good enough??

The very best option on this, IMHO, is to send your DR650 wheel to Woody's Wheel Works and let him seal it up right to make it a tubeless affair.

But here is my worry:
Lets say you get a flat on the road. You plug the hole ... but lets say the bead has broken (this typically won't happen on a real tubeless rim, but the stock DR rim is NOT a tubeless rim) So if the bead is broken ... how do you re-inflate on the side of the road with CO-2 or hand pump?

Woody may recommend you buy a NEW WHEEL that will work tubeless, but that could limit tire choice. So some things to think over.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Not many have done this on a DR650 that I know of. I hope you will follow up with any info you find on this and do a better job than I did documenting.

All the best!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote