Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #16246
alpina-uk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post
Satcen,

Alpina is saying that leaks are a result of customers not installing spokes and nipples properly when using their own hubs. As for complete wheel sets built from the factory (hubs, rims, nipples, spokes), they are not experiencing any leakage issues.

Just wondering, do you agree or disagree with what Alpina is reporting?
Hi Guys, this is correct

The sts system nipples must be lightly greased and torqued correctly, otherwise the o-rings can fail

When customers order the sts stystem from us , i ask them to send the hubs to the factory in Italy, and for no charge they will build the wheels for you and ship back

This way you have piece of mind, most wheel builders have never seen anything like the sts tubeless system before , so its no surprise there can be leaks

regards

karl
alpina-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #16247
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina-uk View Post
Hi Guys, this is correct

The sts system nipples must be lightly greased and torqued correctly, otherwise the o-rings can fail

When customers order the sts stystem from us , i ask them to send the hubs to the factory in Italy, and for no charge they will build the wheels for you and ship back

This way you have piece of mind, most wheel builders have never seen anything like the sts tubeless system before , so its no surprise there can be leaks

regards

karl
Thanks for taking the time Karl.

How about a 50% discount??????
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #16248
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #16249
davidpweis
Daydream Believer

Oddometer: 28
Hi,
I just installed Mass Moto pipes on mine..Can't figure out how to add images right off, but I'll figure it out.
Sound and images are here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoNZh...ature=youtu.be
davidpweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #16250
specnoodle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3 View Post
Man when I looked at the Scrambler in the post, I thought it was the cats- "O-Ring"
I really want an Air cooled bike, and it's a Twin and not Rice powered.....

But then read some of the rider reviews:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/.../28/ixmot.html

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/po...opDefault.aspx

http://www.two.tv/BikeSelecta_InDepth.asp?RT=977

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3199522

Here is probably the most damming review of them all:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/scrambler06052400.html

The luke warm at best reviews go on and on and on just like the ones above... It appears to me that the Scrambler is a looker but not a keeper.

My search continues.

*sigh*
Iv had a scrambler for a few weeks now and i couldent disagree with those reviews more .i think.its brilliant! Ofcorse its a matter of opinion but i love it! Not the most powerfull bike but then i didnt buy it for power its comfortable for over 120 miles before i get bum ache, good on petrol last time i checked it was about 50mpg. My only fault is the lack of a standard locking petrol cap, otherwise i love it!
specnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #16251
BiganDaft
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77

This is my Scrambler on the Swartberg Pass in the Western Cape, South Africa.
BiganDaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #16252
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by specnoodle View Post
Quote:
Post #20 on this thread
Iv had a scrambler for a few weeks now and i couldent disagree with those reviews more .i think.its brilliant! Ofcorse its a matter of opinion but i love it! Not the most powerfull bike but then i didnt buy it for power its comfortable for over 120 miles before i get bum ache, good on petrol last time i checked it was about 50mpg. My only fault is the lack of a standard locking petrol cap, otherwise i love it!
Great that you love yours too! Triumph do offer a locking petrol cap as an accessory.

Re That post from 2006 that you quoted (I reduced it to a reference in the quoting above)... I looked for reviews prior to ordering mine in 2008 and found some of those ones - particularly remember the Telegraph newspaper's one. BUT...

Then I found this thread, read danger_dave's report that began it and the adventurin' that others had achieved with their Scramblers, went 'Yippee, that's what I wanted to see!' (or something like that) and went for it. For road use with offroad exploration whenever I can - I've not regretted that decision in the slightest.

My conclusion was that the journalists that wrote the reviews were unimaginative wuss twats. (nothing new there then!)

This thread and other ride reports here on ADVRider prove those reviews so wrong.

Heck, while I'm at it - It's long overdue but, if I haven't said it already...
Thank you, danger_dave, for starting this thread with your excellent Auckland ride post. And thank you to all who followed up on the thread. Y'all played a big part in my deciding to buy what's turned out to be my favourite motorcycle so far. It surely is a 'keeper'.

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #16253
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I have been watching this thread for a while, and next spring I am going to be in the market for a new bike and I love the look of the scrambler. I have seen a few around here on craigslist in the 2009-2010 years is there anything that I should be aware of with these bikes when I start seriously looking? Or should I pony up the dough for a new bike, has anything changed in the last few years besides color? I would appreciate any insights anyone has.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #16254
frichtie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I suppose you've all seen this....but just in case:http://youtu.be/oAliBMah-0I

Eric
frichtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #16255
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by frichtie View Post
I suppose you've all seen this....but just in case:http://youtu.be/oAliBMah-0I

Eric
And this....
Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #16256
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
Is fuel injection a big improvement on the Scram?

I'm shopping for a used Scrambler and wondering just how much of an improvement injection is over the carbs on this bike.
Does f.i. offer any more power?

My last bike was injected so I understand generally the benefits of fuel injection but I'm curious if the 2009 and later Scramblers have any significant, noticeable improvements in ride-ability over the earlier, carb models.

I'm going to look at a carbureted 2008 on Monday for a pretty decent price. Is it worth holding out and maybe paying another few hundred for a later model?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #16257
sark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Hello Fellas. If possible I'd like to buy a pair of scrambler headers (head pipes). I need a pair without the O2 sensor availability because my Scrambler has carbs. I'm also looking for a very good price. Please contact me if you have a pair to sell me. Thanks!
sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #16258
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsforrest View Post

I'm shopping for a used Scrambler and wondering just how much of an improvement injection is over the carbs on this bike.

My last bike was injected so I understand generally the benefits of fuel injection but I'm curious if the 2009 and later Scramblers have any significant, noticeable improvements in ride-ability over the earlier, carb models.

I'm going to look at a carbureted 2008 on Monday for a pretty decent price. Is it worth holding out and maybe paying another few hundred for a later model?
It's been discussed in this thread a few times but Cliff's Notes version is it doesn't really matter. Both bikes fuel well with out any real issues with either. Really boils down to a personal preference. I ride both FI bikes and carb'd bikes and fueling is never on my mind, I just ride em.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #16259
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
In my opinion, it's not an improvement, it's a degradation. I say that for three reasons:

1) It's more complex with more to go wrong. You'll never have a failed fuel pump strand you if you don't have one.
2) I hate phoney, and the attempt to make the EFI model look like it's carb'ed offends me.
3) To stir up trouble. :)

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #16260
transplanted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:

I had a 2007. Found it to be smooth all around compared to my 2011 FI model which is a bit jerky below 3000. It's not that bad though. My KTM 690 is a bit worse lol.
transplanted is offline   Reply With Quote