Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #106
purplehaize
Toph

Oddometer: 24
Whoa, too much of an adventure or a Great Adventure not sure which. Loved reading about your troubles and glad you shared it. harsh reminder how over confidence or whatever you want to call it can go horribly wrong on 2 wheels. Thanks for sharing as I will remember this story to keep me in check!!!
purplehaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #107
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Awesome honest account of what can happen to any of us......Here's a similar debacle that happened to me http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608029
Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #108
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumbs down Another report that SPOT sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord View Post
Awesome honest account of what can happen to any of us......Here's a similar debacle that happened to me http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608029
Thanks for sharing the link to your story as well 5Chord.......I hope you're still not taking those beasts into those kind of conditions with street tires....or at all hopefully? And I won't be bothering with the SPOT system, this is just another story of how it sucks......def won't be wasting my money on that sorry-azz company and their all-hype no-work product.

My cell phone has built in gps location that I'm sure kicks the shit out of SPOT anyway, so I'll just stick to that, while SPOT sticks it to everyone in general who buys it
Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #109
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Thanks for sharing the link to your story as well 5Chord.......I hope you're still not taking those beasts into those kind of conditions with street tires....or at all hopefully? And I won't be bothering with the SPOT system, this is just another story of how it sucks......def won't be wasting my money on that sorry-azz company and their all-hype no-work product.

My cell phone has built in gps location that I'm sure kicks the shit out of SPOT anyway, so I'll just stick to that, while SPOT sticks it to everyone in general who buys it :
Does your phone get its location from the GPS satellites or from the cell towers?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #110
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
I had to smile because you said to yourself just what I said when I once got myself into a pickle - "I just suffered through that section and don't wish to try riding it in reverse."

I added to myself, "This can't last. It must get better ahead."

Famous last (almost) words.

Great write up, 5.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #111
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:

My cell phone has built in gps location that I'm sure kicks the shit out of SPOT anyway, so I'll just stick to that, while SPOT sticks it to everyone in general who buys it
Not to turn this into a pro/con SPOT thread, but your cell phone GPS likely doesn't kick the shit out of SPOT anyway. As a former SAR member, I have much more confidence in SPOT than a cell phone for a true emergency. They are apples and oranges and not really comparable, as they do completely different things in different ways. Without going into too much detail, the linked thread is a great example of how not to handle an (non) emergency, or how to use the SPOT as designed. Based on your post it appears you don't understand the SPOT, how it or the service works.

Also, I wouldn't consider it another story of how SPOT sucks, but another user that doesn't understand it's use, function, and personal responsibility.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #112
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Not to turn this into a pro/con SPOT thread, but your cell phone GPS likely doesn't kick the shit out of SPOT anyway. As a former SAR member, I have much more confidence in SPOT than a cell phone for a true emergency. They are apples and oranges and not really comparable, as they do completely different things in different ways. Without going into too much detail, the linked thread is a great example of how not to handle an (non) emergency, or how to use the SPOT as designed. Based on your post it appears you don't understand the SPOT, how it or the service works.

Also, I wouldn't consider it another story of how SPOT sucks, but another user that doesn't understand it's use, function, and personal responsibility.
I don't want to turn this into a SPOT post either, (as mine was) but I will say this; when I pushed the SOS button, the SPOT device had my location about 65 miles from where I was due to poor satellite connection enroute. All lights on the SPOT device indicated that it had a good fix on me and soon help would be dispatched. I was wrong on both counts. All they did was call my girlfriend and father to tell them I might be in some kind of trouble. All that for just $100 a year.

In all fairness, SPOT has probably come along way since then and they may have addressed some of these issues and added some value to their services. Also, it is a brilliant device for use in urban areas to alert friends and family in case a problem occurs to your location by text or email. But to market it (at least the way it was when I bought it) as a survival locator for use in in remote areas is a travesty.

Also, I would like to invite anyone who would like to discuss this further, to PM me. I don't want to continue to take away from this excellent post.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #113
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
A good write up and reminder how "things" can cascade out of control.
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #114
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroDog View Post
You're Gonna DIE!!!!!
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #115
Vagabond_Explorer
Relax_Unwind_Chill

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
You're Gonna DIE!!!!!
Amen to that. Common theme emerging from many posts. The BMW R1200GS/A can get you into trouble faster than it can get you out. A great road bike, but dressed up only to look enduro - that's all! Ride only on smooth, dry dirt surfaces, generally. Tipping the scales at over 600 lbs loaded up - it is almost like riding a Gold Wing off road!
Vagabond_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #116
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond_Explorer View Post
Amen to that. Common theme emerging from many posts. The BMW R1200GS/A can get you into trouble faster than it can get you out. A great road bike, but dressed up only to look enduro - that's all! Ride only on smooth, dry dirt surfaces, generally. Tipping the scales at over 600 lbs loaded up - it is almost like riding a Gold Wing off road!
I wasn't being serious. At all.

I've been many places I was told my 1150 would never get to. More importantly, I've returned...
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #117
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Eh? Just wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond_Explorer View Post
Its a shame they dress up these big street bikes to look like something that should go in the dirt....then riders look at them and think "hey, I think I'll ride that giant, dirt looking bike into a world of off road hurt".
Really no need to lead people down that path is there?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #118
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Its a shame they dress up these big street bikes to look like something that should go in the dirt....then riders look at them and think "hey, I think I'll ride that giant, dirt looking bike into a world of off road hurt".
Any kind of off-road riding should include some training, especially in the big-bike adventure category. I spent 4 days at Rawhyde (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522685) back in '09 doing just that. Then I drank the kool-aid and bought a big GS. The big bikes can do amazing things and I've had tons of fun on my pig; but I now prefer a smaller dual-sport experience. The smaller the bike, the easier it is to pick up (and push out of the woods). Plain and simple.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #119
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Heck, I'd guess that more pilgrims in dude 4 x 4's such as Ford Explorers get to walk out than bikers do. The difference, though, is when you need to get your Explorer out of someplace piece by piece, the driver usually is OK.

The irony of the GS is that due to its mass and idiotic height, people fail on it when they'd have succeeded on a Honda Rebel or even a Honda 90 step through. This cosmetic height is the killer. Only the most adept riders would have an issue if the GS were 8 or so cm lower and it'd make things so much easier for we who aren't the Lewis' or the Hydes of the world.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #120
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Talking Resist the Dark Side

Quote:
Any kind of off-road riding should include some training, especially in the big-bike adventure category. I spent 4 days at Rawhyde (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522685) back in '09 doing just that. Then I drank the kool-aid and bought a big GS. The big bikes can do amazing things and I've had tons of fun on my pig; but I now prefer a smaller dual-sport experience. The smaller the bike, the easier it is to pick up (and push out of the woods). Plain and simple.
I agree experience and training is key. You can take a big bike amazing places with enough skill, balance, finesse and knowing the machine well. But the majority of the time that doesn't seem to happen. Its kinda like taking your brand new 4 wheel drive out with some friends to do some "easy" off-roading...nothing serious honey, I promise. Yeah right next thing you know your stuck with a scratched, dented up truck, getting the bumper pulled off by a friend
You take a big bike off the pavement and its only a matter of time before its going to be in too deep, its just human nature
I say don't tempt fate, keep the "street bike in dirt drag" on the pavement or flat smooth dirt roads, and take the true dirt-oriented machine off into what we all know will end up being the gnarly stuff

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 10:10 AM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote