ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #31
dogjaw
plays well alone
 
dogjaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: between the Ozarks and the Ouachitas
Oddometer: 2,921
I wear an AFX 39 in medium, and the medium Bilt fits very similar; may be a bit more pressure to the forehead, but can't say for sure without a long day in the saddle... I usually hate Bilt crap, but this looks like a winner, as do some dual sport boots they will be featuring next month...
__________________
By God, Woodrow; it's been one hell of a party.
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #32
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer
 
lucas123's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 460
Here is the MHR helmets spec page for this helmet. Mentions ECE 22.05 and DOT.

http://www.mhrhelmet.com/products.as...38&ClassID=110


This helmet is sold by LS2, as well. In two more finishes...





http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-i...642715757.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-i...642720638.html
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #33
Brtp4
Do what you love.
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas123 View Post
Here is the MHR helmets spec page for this helmet. Mentions ECE 22.05 and DOT.

http://www.mhrhelmet.com/products.as...38&ClassID=110


This helmet is sold by LS2, as well. In two more finishes...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-i...642715757.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-i...642720638.html
LS2 is a branded arm of MHR. I gathered some info on their line about three weeks ago. MHR makes that model with the retractable shield, but they have decided they are not importing that model into the US.

But it is on sale directly from China via EBay.

Instead they are importing another, w/o a retractable shield, the MX453.

http://ls2helmets.us/_live/slideshow...f_Road_Helmets

I wonder if the ECE certification # for the retractable shield version is the same as the non- version.

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
s1marks
Mercedes
 
s1marks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Banks, Oregon.
Oddometer: 608
I picked one of these helmets up last night. coupole moire things I can add;

I tried my helmet on with Googles last night when I got home and it seems to work just fine with my googles (I think I have Scott OTG goggles),

The Large helmet fits me well, I could get the Medium on my noggin, but it couldn't get my ears to lay flat with the medium (they felt 'folded over' in the medium) and it was just too tight.

My head simply does not fit an AFX-39 (or equivelent). The medium on those in too small and my nose hits the front of the helmet (OK I admit, I have a big one!). The large AFX-39 rattles around on my head and is way too loose. The Bilt adventure large just feels a whole lot better. If you don't fit an AFX-39 it's worth checking out the Bilt.

I didn't ride home fast last night (65mph max), but the airflow over the helmet seems very reasonable and smooth (much better than my dirt helmet anyway), Noise for mthe helmet was OK and about (no heck it was actually better) than I expected.

The Build quality seems pretty good (seems better to me than the AFX which I always felt was a little lightweight) but heck I would say that, I just boutght the Bilt. Also, FWIW, purely from an asthetics point of view these are a very nice looking helemet IMHO the nicest 'looking' dual sport helmet out there (yes I did just say that).

Don't know how long these will be $99, so if you are thinking about it you should jump on one.

S1
__________________
1975 Suzuki GT750A, 1986 Kawasaki KL600, 2001 BMW R1150GS, 2011 Husqvarna TE630
The Great Pacific Northwest SPOT map (Automatically updates in real-time) ; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703

s1marks screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 11:06 AM
s1marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #35
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer
 
Alaskajeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Oddometer: 1,126
I have a question for anyone that wears glasses under the helmet. How is the padding affect them? I have the AFX and MSR dualsport helmets and the padding has a lip/gap that hits my glasses arms and moves them up off my face while riding. It gets annoying. Just wondering if the BILT internals are the same.
__________________
Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #36
sgmartz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Simi Valley
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post
I picked one of these helmets up last night. coupole moire things I can add;

I tried my helmet on with Googles last night when I got home and it seems to work just fine with my googles (I think I have Scott OTG goggles),

The Large helmet fits me well, I could get the Medium on my noggin, but it couldn't get my ears to lay flat with the medium (they felt 'folded over' in the medium) and it was just too tight.

My head simply does not fit an AFX-39 (or equivelent). The medium on those in too small and my nose hits the front of the helmet (OK I admit, I have a big one!). The large AFX-39 rattles around on my head and is way too loose. The Bilt adventure large just feels a whole lot better. If you don't fit an AFX-39 it's worth checking out the Bilt.

I didn't ride home fast last night (65mph max), but the airflow over the helmet seems very reasonable and smooth (much better than my dirt helmet anyway), Noise for mthe helmet was OK and about (no heck it was actually better) than I expected.

The Build quality seems pretty good (seems better to me than the AFX which I always felt was a little lightweight) but heck I would say that, I just boutght the Bilt. Also, FWIW, purely from an asthetics point of view these are a very nice looking helemet IMHO the nicest 'looking' dual sport helmet out there (yes I did just say that).

Don't know how long these will be $99, so if you are thinking about it you should jump on one.

S1
I rode in mine last night, seemed nice enough except the helmet catch when changing lanes. Seemed worse than my dirt bike helmet. ymmv...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2007 V-Strom
sgmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #37
RalphyDo
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
I have a question for anyone that wears glasses under the helmet. How is the padding affect them? I have the AFX and MSR dualsport helmets and the padding has a lip/gap that hits my glasses arms and moves them up off my face while riding. It gets annoying. Just wondering if the BILT internals are the same.


I saw someone post that the is a "channel" for the earpeices on your glasses to fit into the helmet. It's where the cheek pads come together. It was posted in this thread some place
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #38
ntm1973
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: PA
Oddometer: 99
Can anyone using this helmet compare the highway noise and buffeting to a closed face road helmet? I have an shoe rf1100 and am hesitant to give it up on dual sport rides because of the amount of road I need to ride before hitting the dirt.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #39
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider
 
n1tr0's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 116
Question

Can you tell if the foam around the bottom of the chin is glued to the outer shell, or would it be possible to slip a chin skirt in.
Getting the face shield on my AFX-39DS closed properly is becoming an issue (2 years of wear & tear and a few face shield swaps on the stock pivots). I hate to give up the quick release chin strap, but an internal flip down tinted shield would be a huge improvement (vs. tinted shield and carrying clear goggles). I'm still hoping that someone comes out with a better quality (than Bilt or AFX) version in the sub-$300 range. Cyclegear's latest email shows the helmet as being $99 right now so it's awfully tempting to pick one up.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #40
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer
 
Alaskajeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
Can you tell if the foam around the bottom of the chin is glued to the outer shell, or would it be possible to slip a chin skirt in.
Getting the face shield on my AFX-39DS closed properly is becoming an issue (2 years of wear & tear and a few face shield swaps on the stock pivots). I hate to give up the quick release chin strap, but an internal flip down tinted shield would be a huge improvement (vs. tinted shield and carrying clear goggles). I'm still hoping that someone comes out with a better quality (than Bilt or AFX) version in the sub-$300 range. Cyclegear's latest email shows the helmet as being $99 right now so it's awfully tempting to pick one up.
I have an AFX-FX39 as well and also LOVE the quick release chin strap. I have a MSR Xpedition DS helmet as well, that is exactly the same shell as the AFX and Fly brands. I know someone on here added a flipdown sun shield from the Fly Trekker DS helmet that fits the AFX-39. It's not internal but is reported to work well. You might want to look into it.
__________________
Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #41
keiji
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
You are correct in that. And those helmets are made from the concept forward to have a sun visor.

In 14 years of motorcycle design and product development..... have never seen a standard helmet shell, designed for a conventional EPS liner, be adapted to add a retractable shield into the space where the conventional EPS liner normally resides.

BP
I was under the impression that basically all features like this (modular, sun shield, etc) reduced protection due to the components used. An example would be the SHARP helmet ratings for a Scorpion EXO 400 vs EXO 1000. I'm not super familiar with the shell dimensions, but it looks close enough...
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #42
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider
 
n1tr0's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 116
I find the fitment/closure of the stock face shield pretty annoying already, I don't think I want to add a second over-the-top flip down face shield. I checked out the Bilt helmet today and the fit was a bit shorter. It was hard to tell if the inner flip down tinted shades were adding some distortion or if they were just a bit grubby from it being a floor model. The face shield fit and sealed 1000x better on the Bilt than on my AFX. The overall quality felt at least as good as my AFX, but the sizing is much smaller; my large FX-39 is a bit loose, while the XL Bilt was pretty snug, similar to the Joe Rocket DS I had before.
The guys at the store seemed to think there was some alternative face shields or flip down shades in the works ?
The only thing really keeping me from buying one is figuring out if I can get or make a chin skirt work with it ... and speakers ? I have some really thin Shark speakers that I think might possibly squeeze in.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #43
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer
 
ParaMud's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Oddometer: 626
I went to cycle gear to try it on when they had a bike night. I usually wear a large and the large i tried fit. No hot spots or anything. It didn't feel like I had as much room for my chin compared to my RF-1100, which surprised me. Most helmets don't give me enough chin room, just figured the bilt would. Sticking with my RF, just wish it was cheaper.
__________________
08 wr250r
04 xt225
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #44
staudio
Time for a ride...
 
staudio's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Peoples Republic Of Marin, CA
Oddometer: 184
received the cycle gear mailer today....said the Bilt Adventure helmet would be on sale for $99.99
until 1/2/2013.
__________________
enjoy every sandwich....
staudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #45
G19Tony OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
G19Tony's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: KLAS
Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
I have an AFX-FX39 as well and also LOVE the quick release chin strap. I have a MSR Xpedition DS helmet as well, that is exactly the same shell as the AFX and Fly brands. I know someone on here added a flipdown sun shield from the Fly Trekker DS helmet that fits the AFX-39. It's not internal but is reported to work well. You might want to look into it.
I added a flip down sun shield to my Fly Trekker. It works really well.
__________________
BMW F800GT, Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Honda CL70, Honda CT70, Honda Grom.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014