Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
For the guys saying "Try a Victory", I have to agree. Got off a Goldwing and although not as optioned out, (Cross Country Tour), I have to say the ride, room, and storage is much better. How long will it go? Dunno, time will tell. The WIng was bullet proof, and a hoot to ride. The CCT is a great ride after some adjustment.It is lacking a little in giddyup, but no slouch.
Big question. What are YOU looking for? Nostalgia? The Group thing? The mystique? Then Harley is for you. Comfort, rideability, and storage can be had with HD also. But it has to be for you.
Ride all you can swing a leg over. Harleys will spin up in their time frame and get on down the road. Some equate that to "performance". Victory will do the same, with a little faster pace, Goldwing will pull out of the hole and leave some folks really wide eyed. How much do you want to shift and how fast do you think you need to get there, and how much do you want to spend on engine upgrades? All are certainly capable of getting you point A to B in stock configuration.
If you want Sport tour performance none of these are for you. The BMW 1600 or the new Tiger Tour may be more to your liking.
Bottom line, figure out where you want to go and read all the reviews of reliability. Some think a $300 bill for service and only a few breakdowns a year aren't a problem. Some like to wrench their own and can save a lot as well as get to know your ride.
Leave your options open, it is your money, time and ride, so what ever you decide you have to ride it and hopefully love it.
Happy Hunting
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
so the smaller actually fun to ride bikes are lower end?

thats great thinking!

man i cant wait till i can afford a $20k+ roadking, goldwing, victory UFO looking son of a bitch so i can have a high end boring as hell road barge.

btw, all the bikes mentioned are great bikes, thats just stupid thinking.
That isn't what he said. What he said was that the lower end Victory was a lot better than the lower end HD. That's all; he didn't say anything about how either compares with the highend bikes, or with anything else.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (220,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I have had Harleys for almost twenty years. I am partial to the Road Glide. My boss has a street glide and is switching to a Road Glide because he feels more stretched out. I am sure you can go into any dealer and take whatever you want for a ride but whatever you do keep the Adventure bike too! I am on my third KLR!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
+1 to the Thunderbird and FLTRX (Road Glide) The ride of both surpasses that of any Victory I have ridden.

Where are you? Fill out your profile. If you are anywhere near me I have bikes available for you to take out and see if they are right for YOU.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
Max Buffet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
+1 to the Thunderbird and FLTRX (Road Glide) The ride of both surpasses that of any Victory I have ridden.

Where are you? Fill out your profile. If you are anywhere near me I have bikes available for you to take out and see if they are right for YOU.
Thanks!
I'll fill it out tonight.
I'm near Boise.
Max Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Buffet View Post
Thanks!
I'll fill it out tonight.
I'm near Boise.

I am in Eugene. If you can make it here or Portland let me know. (PM)
We can take a few bikes out to help you see what (if any) is to your liking.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Like the OP, I am 6'3" and have owned a KLR, a DL1000, FZ6, etc. I have a Road Glide now and it is my Long Term Bike. I payed it off, and it will always stay in my stable as long as I ride. It is not pretty like a Road King but I have great storage, weather protection, handling, and an open cockpit. In fact, today it was rainy and I stayed relatively dry even though I didn't have any weather-proof gear on. Some people don't like stereos on their bikes, but I was able to listen to the Ohio State game today while riding to a BBQ festival and I stopped to pick up a few beers at the end of the day and several dudes gathered around my bike as we listened to the last seconds of an exciting game.

To make this my perfect cross-country bike I would like to get: -a trunk, a rider backrest, heated clothing (the Harley touring bikes have a robust alternator), and rainproof gear.

Any of the bikes mentioned will be good, I just give my personal experience.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
That isn't what he said. What he said was that the lower end Victory was a lot better than the lower end HD. That's all; he didn't say anything about how either compares with the highend bikes, or with anything else.

PhilB

i understand that.

except i happen to have a sporty 1200 roadster, and have no desire to own any of the road couches of any manufacture. problem with that is, my bike is extremely well made and fit and finish is still excellent, and thats on my low end bike, that is now 7yrs old and has 22k rough miles. before i bought my roadster i tested a whole bunch of bikes, most were technically superior, except the 1200r just 'felt' like a motorcycle.

might as well call the bonneville, the thruxton, the w650 and now 800, the duc monster...i could go on, low end bikes.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
i understand that.

except i happen to have a sporty 1200 roadster, and have no desire to own any of the road couches of any manufacture. problem with that is, my bike is extremely well made and fit and finish is still excellent, and thats on my low end bike, that is now 7yrs old and has 22k rough miles. before i bought my roadster i tested a whole bunch of bikes, most were technically superior, except the 1200r just 'felt' like a motorcycle.
My daughter's last boyfriend had a 1200 sporty. She hated the thing, especially as a passenger; she made him take the Vespa if he was going to carry her anywhere. And I rode it, and it didn't feel like a motorcycle to me; it felt like a crude implement of destruction. I'm not a Harley-hater. I've ridden bikes that represent most of the lineup -- Sporties, Softails, V-Rod, Road King, XR1200. Most of those were pretty good bikes. I like the Road King a lot. But the Sportster, not so much.

Quote:
... might as well call the bonneville, the thruxton, the w650 and now 800, the duc monster...i could go on, low end bikes.
Every one of those IS a low end bike within their respective lineups.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (220,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,496
I'm 6'3" too. Have an electra ultra and a hyper s. Might someday add something like the new husky 650, but I'm done with big adventure or sport touring bikes.

The Harley is flat out the most satisfying to ride on tarmac at speeds 25 mph or less over the speed limit. Listening to tunes. In comfort.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #26
Max Buffet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks, you guys! Good info and I'm especially grateful to Dakez!
I can get to Eugene without too much trouble. Plus, it's one of my favorite areas!
It won't be very soon, but I'll be in touch.
Max Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #27
Mrmerlin
K1300S fast as shi..

Oddometer: 312
since your a big guy,
I would strongly suggest you cruise over to the Triumph dealer,
get a ride on a Rocket III,
you will be amazed at how balanced it is once the wheels start rolling.
Moreso than the HD.

That said make sure your holding on before you twist the throttle,
as the bike may try to come out from under you,
the shaft drive works well
great brakes and handling to match,
Not much will be able to keep up if your on the pipe,
though its not a canyon scratcher it does have more lean then the HD baggers,
you can find low mile versions for under 7K,
SRSLY try one

read this informative article

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...ries%3fstart=1

Mrmerlin screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 11:32 PM
Mrmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #28
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Have you ever actually ridden a Victory Cross bike, or Vision? I can fully understand someone preferring a Harley for many different reasons, but it's hard to imagine anyone thinking the Harley is as spacious, or surpasses the ride of the big Vics. (unless they sell Harleys that is )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #29
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I've tried most of them

It looks like I am in the same boat as Max. I also own a GS that I will never get rid of and I too wanted another ride that was more relaxed. I agree that the Sportster won't fit the bill because of it's riding position. I tried the big Harleys along with the Victory's and big Triumphs and found the Triumph has the best fit of all.
If you like Harley cruisers you will love the Triumph Thunderbird. Get the 1700 as it has more power and it feels great at any speed, and the sound is really something to listen too.
I also have to agree with Mrmerlin about his comment on the Triumph Rocket. I was all ready to get a Thunderbird Storm until I got a chance to ride a Rocket Roadster. For bigs guys it's has a near perfect riding position and the power.........well it's exhilarating. Surprisingly easy to control once you get used to the torque but it can be addicting. Try them both if you can.
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Buffet View Post
I can get to Eugene without too much trouble. Plus, it's one of my favorite areas!
It won't be very soon, but I'll be in touch.