User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #31
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,074
I'm just getting to know my 60Csx, but I'd sure like the Montana. I've had it two seasons and mostly use it for tracks. I like the buttons to page it with gloved hands, though.

I bought the 4 prong cord with a coax connector. I tapped into my battery tender/heated gear cord and ran it up front ziptied to the bars. Mine has never shut off and I left the batteries in. But I have to unplug it when stopped for the day, or the GPS will drain the bike battery.

My son raced the Mex 1k this spring with a 60cs not hard wired and it shut off periodically until the put something on the battery compartment.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #32
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
60 CSx vs bike battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
.................................................. .......................................

I bought the 4 prong cord with a coax connector. I tapped into my battery tender/heated gear cord and ran it up front ziptied to the bars. Mine has never shut off and I left the batteries in. But I have to unplug it when stopped for the day, or the GPS will drain the bike battery.
.................................................. .................................................. ....................................

I am surprised that it will kill your battery. I know that I have left mine on for several days (not using the bike) without killing the battery on my DR 650. Unfortunately, many years ago I got the power pins wet (salt water), I cleaned the subsequent corrosion as best I could but one of the pins gave up last month. Perhaps I can get it fixed but I have already wasted 2 hours on Garmin's website trying to figure out how (it was already a 'replacement unit', the button on the back having come off when it was nearly new. Now, my serial number doesn't match what they have recoreded - because it IS a different unit than the one I sent them.......) to do it. Yeah, I know, call customer service, they are usually great but I have never been on hold LESS THAN 25 minutes to talk to them.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #33
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I am surprised that it will kill your battery. I know that I have left mine on for several days (not using the bike) without killing the battery on my DR 650.

Bruce
I guess I don't actually know if charging the lithium GPS batteries will drain the bike, but I was told that somewhere here on the interweb. I unplug it just in case.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #34
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
I have been keeping disposable Lithiums in my GPSs for a few years now. It's been a long time since I read the manual but I thought that it said that in the case of rechargeables, they would not charge in the device and would have to be charged in a 'real' charger. That made me think that there were diodes at work keeping the batteries from being charged if left in place but that is all conjecture at this point. I do know that I have found the unit on (noticed the screen lit up after dark) when the bike hadn't been used for several days, perhaps someone passing by turned it on for me, since then I just never worried much about shutting it off but that will have to change since losing the ability to use mobile power.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #35
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I have been keeping disposable Lithiums in my GPSs for a few years now. It's been a long time since I read the manual but I thought that it said that in the case of rechargeables, they would not charge in the device and would have to be charged in a 'real' charger. That made me think that there were diodes at work keeping the batteries from being charged if left in place but that is all conjecture at this point.
You got that right. Garmin handhelds do not recharge batteries when plugged into a power source except of course the Montana with its Garmin Lithium battery. The Montana can also be used on AAs, but will not charge them even if they're rechargeable.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote