Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 595 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #27211
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Ah, I was aiming along the lines of a replacement composite stock and scout rail with scope for the hunting bit, but that would be over time.
It would be kind of a shame to do much in the way of mods to an M1 IMHO, although I suppose a stock with attached rail could be replaced with the OEM stock when you wanted it back to original.

I wouldn't mind having one, doubt that I'd shoot it much though.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #27212
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
It would be kind of a shame to do much in the way of mods to an M1 IMHO, although I suppose a stock with attached rail could be replaced with the OEM stock when you wanted it back to original.

I wouldn't mind having one, doubt that I'd shoot it much though.
Yeah, I wouldn't plan to do any permanent modifications to it. The rails I'm looking at just replace the upper hand guard.

I may skip the composite stock if I can get a nice wood one for a good price, or save money and skip that step entirely if the stock it comes with is in good shape with a proper fit.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #27213
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,782
Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't plan to do any permanent modifications to it. The rails I'm looking at just replace the upper hand guard.

I may skip the composite stock if I can get a nice wood one for a good price, or save money and skip that step entirely if the stock it comes with is in good shape with a proper fit.
I have a SA M1A "loaded" that I bought roughly five years ago. It was on sale at the time and a good buy, but came with a green plastic stock. I'm thinking I want to find an old-school wood stock for it. The plastic one is very functional and has a nice recoil pad, but just doesn't look right to my eye.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #27214
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I have a SA M1A "loaded" that I bought roughly five years ago. It was on sale at the time and a good buy, but came with a green plastic stock. I'm thinking I want to find an old-school wood stock for it. The plastic one is very functional and has a nice recoil pad, but just doesn't look right to my eye.
Yeah, I think there's some "cool" looking M1/M1As out there, but I think they look their absolute best in wood and steel.

I'm just thinking ahead in case the stock it comes with is loose and has trouble grouping.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #27215
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
M14 Stocks+

EG and HC,

Try here for M-14 and M1 stocks: http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog.asp

And EG, don't sweat the loose stock issue. The M1/M1A are really easy to glass bed. I can help you with that little project if you need or want to do it. There are a few little tricks of metal to metal fit that can also make a big difference in group size.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper

Andyinhilo screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 11:53 AM
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #27216
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Thumb M-1

Quote:
Whatever I get will be primarily for plinking and range use, maybe a little bit of for-fun competition.

Why no go on the hunting?

Originally I was looking at minis before. I want a 30 tactical model, but they're all gone already. There's still some 14s out there, but I feel like some cartridge in .30 cal will cover a wider range in activities for me even if it's BC isn't as nice as .223.

With an AR I could shoot .223 for cheap and get a different upper in .300AAC, but I honestly don't feel like I'm going to find any quality ARs in my <$750 price range in stock any time soon.

The CMP Garand comes in cheaper than all of the above right now.

Great gun, I believe that it was Gen. Patton who described it as the best infantry weapon ever built. That said, they are heavy (compared to a hunting rifle), which is a plus or minus depending upon whether you are carrying or shooting it. It is after all a 30-06, which is about the practical recoil limit for MOST shooters to shoot well and comfortably. The stock is intended for use with iron sights so IF you add a mount of some kind and scope it you will find it difficult at best to get any kind of 'cheek weld' so that your eye naturally lines up with the center of the scope. Yes, you can get those lace on cheek pads, there is one around here somewhere..... One consideration for hunting use is what your state may have for magazine capacity restrictions. You can get modified clips (yes, it does really use a clip rather than a detachable magazine) that will limit it to 2 or 5 rounds, I think that I once made some that made single loading easier as well. You can, with some dexterity also load the standard clip with something less than the standard 8 rounds. My dad said that they could freeze up but that was while living in a foxhole somewhere southeast of 'the Bulge" in the 40's, if you aren't living in rain, snow and mud they are pretty reliable, bolt guns were freezing under the same conditions. They are a vanishing breed, I believe that my CMP gun cost $165, some 25 years ago, lots of what they are issuing now are 'lend-lease' guns returned by our allies. There will not likely ever be more made, no doubt some will keep trickling onto the market as those of us 'past due date' die off and our significant others' have to figure out what to due with the stuff we accumulated. I honestly prefer my M1A to my M-1 but they are harder to find and generally cost more, grab an M-1 then start saving for the 'next one'!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #27217
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Thinking about getting a CMP garand as a first rifle.

Bad idea or not?
I think that is a great idea. I got mine back when they were $69.00 delivered. I have shot matches with it and toted it in the hunting fields. Great gun. I must admit that it is not the best choice for hunting but it will work just fine if a bit heavy.

I never needed to bed mine as the wood to metal fits were ok, and after adjusting some of the gas system fit, it will shoot military ball into 1.5-2" groups, and do about an inch with handloads it likes.

I really like it, but I like the M1A a bit better.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #27218
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
I think that is a great idea. I got mine back when they were $69.00 delivered. I have shot matches with it and toted it in the hunting fields. Great gun. I must admit that it is not the best choice for hunting but it will work just fine if a bit heavy.

I never needed to bed mine as the wood to metal fits were ok, and after adjusting some of the gas system fit, it will shoot military ball into 1.5-2" groups, and do about an inch with handloads it likes.

I really like it, but I like the M1A a bit better.
Cool!

Now I just need my new job to hurry up and get my background done so I can start saving!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #27219
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,822
hey buildit that's pretty good shooting with an LC9. I just shot mine for the first time and can't hit shit

trigger felt great dry firing but keeping it on target is a different story. Going to do the usual snap-cap routine, but was wondering if you've had anything done to the trigger? It feels pretty good in my hand and I think I'm going to like carrying it- I really expected to be at least staying on the paper right out of the box.
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #27220
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
hey buildit that's pretty good shooting with an LC9. I just shot mine for the first time and can't hit shit

trigger felt great dry firing but keeping it on target is a different story. Going to do the usual snap-cap routine, but was wondering if you've had anything done to the trigger? It feels pretty good in my hand and I think I'm going to like carrying it- I really expected to be at least staying on the paper right out of the box.

Ditto- I'm not terrible with mine, but close
I am improving, but it is a tough little thing with which to shoot well
Old 10-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #27221
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,053
Can anybody here speak to the notion that pre-'64 Win 1894s are necessarily of a higher quality than the later builds? I'm trying to replace my lost trusty .32 from my childhood, and since I don't even know what year it was (likely an early version), I'm not convinced that I really care that some of the parts on the newer guns were made from stamped steel.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #27222
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
Can anybody here speak to the notion that pre-'64 Win 1894s are necessarily of a higher quality than the later builds? I'm trying to replace my lost trusty .32 from my childhood, and since I don't even know what year it was (likely an early version), I'm not convinced that I really care that some of the parts on the newer guns were made from stamped steel.

In my experience theres little difference in the 94's. Biggest pre 64 stuff was model 70 bolt actions.

In the newer 94's the crossbolt safety is a pain in the ass but pre cross bolt or the post crossbolt thumb safety arent much of an issue.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #27223
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
In my experience theres little difference in the 94's. Biggest pre 64 stuff was model 70 bolt actions.

In the newer 94's the crossbolt safety is a pain in the ass but pre cross bolt or the post crossbolt thumb safety arent much of an issue.
Mine was a half-cock safety - IIRC the crossbolts didn't come out until the early 90's.

I guess I'm just trying to decide if there's enough of a difference between the pre- and post-64s to justify the $500 or so difference in price. From what I've read, probably not, other than the purist definition of "quality".
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #27224
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
Mine was a half-cock safety - IIRC the crossbolts didn't come out until the early 90's.

I guess I'm just trying to decide if there's enough of a difference between the pre- and post-64s to justify the $500 or so difference in price. From what I've read, probably not, other than the purist definition of "quality".
I'd haunt some pawn shops for a post 64 up to around the 80's after deer season is done.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #27225
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post

After a few times out with the LC9, you'll be able to shoot it pretty well. I can pretty much put them where I want to with mine, but also have the LCP and can't shoot it for shit. Big difference in shootability, in trade for front pocket carry ease.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: