Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #14731
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Wait....it looks like Tiger have tubeless-compatible rims despite they use tubes? Or it just looks like it?
This can be a great news for me...
I mean - there is ridge as I can see typical for tubeless?
Here is tubeless rim - typical, I saw same on Caponord

Compare...
Rear rim has the raised "lips". Front 21" does not (when I pulled my frt. tire off they were not as pronounced).

I still run a tube in my front and have had the pleasure of fixing a front tire puncture roadside (what a PITA).

I did the rear wheel due to the fact that 95% of the unwanted things I usually pick up on the road are with my rear tire. Fixing a tubeless puncture is (IMO) far easier road/trail side than changing/patching a tube.

Happy Riding...

Old 10-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #14732
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
more on oil filter covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
You can get a triumph one cheaper. Not meant for 800 but works perfectly.

Sent from my Tiger 800
Due to the coverage here, relating to oil filter covers to protect against stone damage/perforation of said filter, combined with some friends noticing my Tiger's vulnerability... I have taken action.

It began with a hunt for available materials in my extensive collection of plunder. Once I found the appropriate donor part it became apparent that function and whimsy were cousins here.

The item began life as a track-light and has now been hacked to meet another need. It is steel; a bit heavier gauge than an oil filter. Inside I epoxied a 'doughnut' magnet from a junked microwave oven's magnetron tube. They are extremely strong magnets! The acorn nut is on a hex bolt embedded in epoxy in the center of the magnet.

I may spray it black someday but look at it now and think a white cover on a white sickle is fine. Click on the image and you will see three photos.

[IMG]
https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/tra...background.gif) no-repeat left">
Tiger oil filter cover
[/IMG]
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #14733
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,041
Cool. I like the magnet/cover idea.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #14734
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
Changed the brake pads on the rear yesterday (so I pushed the piston back in to fit the new pads) and I also fitted new tired front and rear so when I did the front wheel, I did the same with the front brakes to make it easier to get the wheel back on. I also disconnected the battery to take it out and now when the ABS light does not go out when riding

Thoughts ?

Brakes appear to be fine although it appears like the ABS is trying to kick in when I brake and are coming to a stop. I say appears since it could be the new tires I fitted which have a much more aggressive tread pattern so the 'judder' I am feeling may just be the tires.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #14735
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I suppose its conceiveable one could 'hole' the oil filter, (with the optional triumph skidplate) but gotta ask: how many folks have had that occur? I have about 10K miles on mine, (about 2500 mi on dirt) and no issues. I carry an extra filter with my tool kit, (they're small) in the event I need to change oil on an extended trip. Perhaps I dont ride the same terrrain as some who use the tiger as a "dirt bike" - but surmise that filter damage, while possible, is an unlikely event for most of us.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #14736
DavidXT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Changed the brake pads on the rear yesterday (so I pushed the piston back in to fit the new pads) and I also fitted new tired front and rear so when I did the front wheel, I did the same with the front brakes to make it easier to get the wheel back on. I also disconnected the battery to take it out and now when the ABS light does not go out when riding

Thoughts ?

Brakes appear to be fine although it appears like the ABS is trying to kick in when I brake and are coming to a stop. I say appears since it could be the new tires I fitted which have a much more aggressive tread pattern so the 'judder' I am feeling may just be the tires.

With ABS brakes when youve bled them you need to get the air out using the diagnostic software. More than likely that just needs doing after youve pushed the pistons in.
'09 Buell XB12XT (can I change my name now??) , '99 Suzuki Katana 600, '97 Honda Shadow VT 750 ace, '?? Kawasaki 250 quad, '96 Suzuki TS50X
DavidXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #14737
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXT View Post
With ABS brakes when youve bled them you need to get the air out using the diagnostic software. More than likely that just needs doing after youve pushed the pistons in.
Really ? Damn, all I did was push the pistons in I didn't crack any lines or anything.

I knew ABS was going to be a total PIA
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 10-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #14738
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
odds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
I suppose its conceiveable one could 'hole' the oil filter, (with the optional triumph skidplate) but gotta ask: how many folks have had that occur? I have about 10K miles on mine, (about 2500 mi on dirt) and no issues. I carry an extra filter with my tool kit, (they're small) in the event I need to change oil on an extended trip. Perhaps I dont ride the same terrrain as some who use the tiger as a "dirt bike" - but surmise that filter damage, while possible, is an unlikely event for most of us.
I totally agree that the probability of a stone flipping up and punching a hole in my oil filter is slim, very slim. However, I do an awful lot of "looking around corners" trying to prevent or be ready for what may happen. The odds are higher that I may crash or be hit so I wear a Roadcrafter. I've had a few nail punctures of tires over the years so I always have the means to fix, inflate and get back on the road with me as 'just another tool'......

What goes through my imagination, beyond oil starvation/engine seizure, is my being unaware of the event temporarily and then losing it in the oil slick following the puncture.

I'm done.
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #14739
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:

Thoughts ?

You should check your ABS sensors - maybe you bumped something loose. I doubt that your ABS needs bleeding - I have changed my front and rear pads and have had no such problem.

Have you noticed that you only get about 5Kmiles from your rear pads? I use my rear brakes quite a lot, but it seems I should be getting better mileage. I found when I put on EBC pads, the rears are wearing much better, but the fronts look like they will only go 5K.

I am trying some sintered pads I bought on Ebay. $18 shipped for a full set (both calipers) of pads.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #14740
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,483
No, not really. You got bad info.

If you didn't do anything else other than push the pistons back to fit new pads, ABS doesn't enter into the equation.

More likely you accidentally tweaked or otherwise fucked up one of the ABS wheel speed sensors while you were doing the brakes. Check em out and get back to us.

Quote:
Really ? Damn, all I did was push the pistons in I didn't crack any lines or anything.

I knew ABS was going to be a total PIA
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #14741
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
No, not really. You got bad info.

If you didn't do anything else other than push the pistons back to fit new pads, ABS doesn't enter into the equation.

More likely you accidentally tweaked or otherwise fucked up one of the ABS wheel speed sensors while you were doing the brakes. Check em out and get back to us.
Double checked the sensors etc. this afternoon and I don't see anything obvious - all I did was push the pistons back in so I'm not sure how the sensors would be affected. I wonder if disconnecting the battery has anything to do with it ?

As I mentioned, the brakes appear to work just fine - manual actually says that if the light doesn't go off after reaching 6MPH, then the brakes revert to being non-ABS so if that's the case I'm not too concerned...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #14742
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
You should check your ABS sensors - maybe you bumped something loose. I doubt that your ABS needs bleeding - I have changed my front and rear pads and have had no such problem.

Have you noticed that you only get about 5Kmiles from your rear pads? I use my rear brakes quite a lot, but it seems I should be getting better mileage. I found when I put on EBC pads, the rears are wearing much better, but the fronts look like they will only go 5K.

I am trying some sintered pads I bought on Ebay. $18 shipped for a full set (both calipers) of pads.
My rear pads lasted 9K which does seem to be pretty poor to me - I don't think I ride with the rear brakes on or anything stupid like that so I'm really not sure what the issue is. I fitted EBC HH pads so we'll see how they go.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 10-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #14743
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
My rear pads lasted 9K which does seem to be pretty poor to me - I don't think I ride with the rear brakes on or anything stupid like that so I'm really not sure what the issue is. I fitted EBC HH pads so we'll see how they go.
All of my mileage is in-town, short trips - so I am probably harder on brakes than most. I don't drag my rear brake either. The EBC HHs that I put on the rear look like they will go at least 10Kmi, but the fronts probably will not make 5Kmi. I got 8Kmi out of my OEM front pads. I'll let you know how the Ebay brakes work out.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #14744
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Double checked the sensors etc. this afternoon and I don't see anything obvious - all I did was push the pistons back in so I'm not sure how the sensors would be affected. I wonder if disconnecting the battery has anything to do with it ?

As I mentioned, the brakes appear to work just fine - manual actually says that if the light doesn't go off after reaching 6MPH, then the brakes revert to being non-ABS so if that's the case I'm not too concerned...
Is there not two fuses for the ABS system? It's a long shot, but have a look at them.
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #14745
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Rear Tire Sealing Failure

Checked my XC's tire pressure today. Front tire down 1 pound, rear tire....0 PSI. Sealed my rear rim 150 miles ago, a few short runs followed by a 105 mile off road adventure ride last weekend. Used the Seal All x2 / Goop x1 individual spoke sealing method detailed somewhere here earlier. Pulled the wheel, checked with soapy water, leaking from two spoke holes. Dismounted the tire, visible adhesion failures on three spokes, the third one just hadn't leaked yet. Reinstalled the rim band and the tube. Retry again maybe later this winter, but I did prep the rim thoroughly with alcohol. Oh well.

If anyone made a tubeless rim and spoke kit that I could lace to my stock XC hubs for maybe $250 (per wheel) I'd be interested. I've only seen complete wheels, for big bucks(2 to 3 grand). Have I missed anything? Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote