Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #2701
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Good ride today Ian and Warren.

Hopefully not our last!
It was good. Thanks for showing some fun trails. And I got to use the new side racks to lift the bike. It is much easier having something to grab onto.

Hope it isn't much drama replacing your license plate.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #2702
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
It was a fun ride - no twisted metal or damaged bodies. Just a lot of screaming going on inside my helmet going down some of the hills!

Ian

Quote:
Good ride today Ian and Warren.

Hopefully not our last!
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #2703
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanInCalgary View Post
It was a fun ride - no twisted metal or damaged bodies. Just a lot of screaming going on inside my helmet going down some of the hills!

Ian
Glad it wasn't just me. hahaha. I saw you lock up your back tire on one descent and thought you may fall over. Way to ride it out though.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #2704
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
Glad it wasn't just me. hahaha. I saw you lock up your back tire on one descent and thought you may fall over. Way to ride it out though.

Just let off and go

Speed helps with lots of downhills, especially with rocks. More gyro, less flopping around and deflection. The other thing is to stay loose. Go with the flow, and at certain times use throttle provided you know whats on the other side and you have options to slow down. As mentioned last time we were out, speed provides momentum and allows options for new lines, often where there is less rock, out of ruts, etc. We discussed this with uphill climbs, but same applies for downhill sections.

Practice on smooth, easy, but steep decents with a runout and get comfortable with speed going down hill. See how the bike can and can't be slowed down, explore new lines, then start to try it on rocky decents with smooth runouts (if things get a bit out of hand), then finally attempt it on rocky drops, kickers while droping, stepped drops, etc. Going faster, or a slight blip on a rocky or root drop can make it much, much easier. Just expect to pick up speed quick on the landing so have line picked out before committing.

That's why I don't agree with lots of things people teach. Gripping the bike with knees is one of them.

As you mentioned, doing little wheelies and feeling that edge of front loft is an essential key to riding quicker. You don't have to do mile long standups, but knowing what it takes to loft the front, even a little, helps immensely for log crossings, step-ups, rut crossings, my favourite of root sections (going over with one wheel is so much easier and no deflection), log jumping (often clearing 2-3 logs at a time) etc.

On a bigger bike some of these are more difficult, but still do-able. When going "flat out" it's amazing what these bikes can do. On the type of cutlines we were doing I think I can ride them faster on my 340lb XRR then any 212lb dirtbike.

I hope yesterday's ride wasn't the last!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 09:53 AM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #2705
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride tomorrow friday October 18

I mean 19th
Anybody want to head out for a ride tomorrow. Forecast is high of 16 degrees c and wind. I would like to try LYCAN1's track to water valley on some fun back roads then around waiprous. But I could change to suit others.

Thinking about late morning, maybe lunch in water valley. Meet at Co op gas station in crowfoot shopping center? Can change of course.

flossandfly screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 09:51 PM
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #2706
rokdktr
Adventure North

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
I mean 19th
Anybody want to head out for a ride tomorrow. Forecast is high of 16 degrees c and wind. I would like to try LYCAN1's track to water valley on some fun back roads then around waiprous. But I could change to suit others.

Thinking about late morning, maybe lunch in water valley. Meet at Co op gas station in crowfoot shopping center? Can change of course.
Got your PM, my Fridays are done until snowboard season now, which kind of sucks, but hey.....only so man holidays right? lol, that and being busy with some hunting and getting reserves done at work, blah blah blah....life gets busy this time of year.

I'm probably out for the fall now unless we get really unseasonal warm winter again, and I hope to hell that doesn't happen (work related)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #2707
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

I work fridays too =(

Not all industries share the lax environment of oilfield offices... =)

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #2708
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Fridays off? How do I get on at your work?? Have fun!! I had to settle for taking the bike to work again today, and was it ever nice. Best day this week for temperature. If you follow my track just stay out of the big puddle on the grassy section, it is a bike eater (very deep)!

I will definitely not go through that hole. Thanks for the tip and thanks for posting the track.

I know I am lucky to have some fridays off.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #2709
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 790
Just started a new job and Fridays are ride days for me now too. Sweet! Really wanted to do poser night at my place this weekend but the weather is gonna suck again. Might be a write off this year. DAMMIT.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #2710
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Fridays off? How do I get on at your work?? Have fun!! I had to settle for taking the bike to work again today, and was it ever nice. Best day this week for temperature. If you follow my track just stay out of the big puddle on the grassy section, it is a bike eater (very deep)!

Had a nice time but I started following one of my own tracks to water valley by mistake and noticed too late. So I didn't get to see where that pic was taken. Oh well I can try again. Got hit with a rock from a big truck that cracked my windscreen. Bad luck. Had lunch in bergen and bought some nice steaks for supper at the store there.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #2711
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Better a cracked windscreen than a cracked arm or skull! That poor windshield must be looking pretty ratty with all the hits it's taken this year. Maybe Santa can bring you a new one for 2013.

Ian

Quote:
Had a nice time but I started following one of my own tracks to water valley by mistake and noticed too late. So I didn't get to see where that pic was taken. Oh well I can try again. Got hit with a rock from a big truck that cracked my windscreen. Bad luck. Had lunch in bergen and bought some nice steaks for supper at the store there.
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #2712
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

It sure could have been worse. I remember some guy had a way to use the plastic from a grinding sheild as a wind screen. I have all winter to figure something out.

Looks like the season is really over now.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #2713
rokdktr
Adventure North

Quote:
It sure could have been worse. I remember some guy had a way to use the plastic from a grinding sheild as a wind screen. I have all winter to figure something out.

Looks like the season is really over now.
Never say never...we had a tour out the Trunk Road in January one year....I think there were 6 of us, and I was riding a supermoto at the time. You can just enver tell for sure what will happen out here....lol

When I do the Safari Tank I will have a "beer and pizza" party for the mounting process......there is always something to do!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #2714
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdktr View Post
Never say never...we had a tour out the Trunk Road in January one year....I think there were 6 of us, and I was riding a supermoto at the time. You can just enver tell for sure what will happen out here....lol

When I do the Safari Tank I will have a "beer and pizza" party for the mounting process......there is always something to do!
First year I started dirt biking I rode almost every weekend without studs the first winter.

Snowboarded / sledded one day, dirt biked the next.

All depends on the season. I guess last year it got hit hard.

I was out there today shooting and the trunk road in the south was melting, but up north still a sheet of ice. About 6-8" of snow.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #2715
rokdktr
Adventure North

Quote:
First year I started dirt biking I rode almost every weekend without studs the first winter.

Snowboarded / sledded one day, dirt biked the next.

All depends on the season. I guess last year it got hit hard.

I was out there today shooting and the trunk road in the south was melting, but up north still a sheet of ice. About 6-8" of snow.
Yeah, there was not hardly any snow up in Bergen Sunday when we went gunning for Yotes through Water Valley and Sundre....I thought it would have been worse after I heard about the trunk snow..lol...you never know.