Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
MQracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
... I traded in a Burgman 400 for a BV 500 and couldn't be happier. Everyone's views on the proper ergonomics vary but for me the BV is a much better tourer.

Isn't it a good thing that there are different styles and ergonomics?
I test rode a BV500 and was quite impressed... it has much more torque than the Burg 400. I liked the more upright seating position and IIRC it had "quicker" handling than the B400. Great scoot. And the Silver Wing 600 is another great scooter. Again, a more upright seating position--- and once more a stronger bottom end than the B400. Yet another tempting product.

Your so correct--- and it is a good thing--- the many choices that we have as consumers. I'd love to test ride the new Aprilia SRV850 as well as taking a trot on a Mana. I know I could find space in my garage for a GTV300 and I'm intrigued by the new BV350. I did sit on a PCX-150 the other day---- and have read many positive posts about this bike---- and for the price it seems like a good deal--- great fuel mileage and decent top end speed wise. Only thing is that when I sat on it--- it just felt "plastic-ly" and cramped in the cockpit compared to my Burgman 400.

Pardon my ramblings...
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1963 SHL M11 Lux
MQracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #32
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrnoital View Post
The need for balance is an abstract idea. If I say I hate Saddam Hussein, I don't have to balance that by saying he had good taste in suits.
These are machines we are talking about.
Without balance . . . . . you run off the road, or highside your machine. Balance is important for a motorcyclist.

Why bring up politics?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #33
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQracing View Post
I test rode a BV500 and was quite impressed... it has much more torque than the Burg 400. I liked the more upright seating position and IIRC it had "quicker" handling than the B400. Great scoot. And the Silver Wing 600 is another great scooter. Again, a more upright seating position--- and once more a stronger bottom end than the B400. Yet another tempting product.

Your so correct--- and it is a good thing--- the many choices that we have as consumers. I'd love to test ride the new Aprilia SRV850 as well as taking a trot on a Mana. I know I could find space in my garage for a GTV300 and I'm intrigued by the new BV350. I did sit on a PCX-150 the other day---- and have read many positive posts about this bike---- and for the price it seems like a good deal--- great fuel mileage and decent top end speed wise. Only thing is that when I sat on it--- it just felt "plastic-ly" and cramped in the cockpit compared to my Burgman 400.

Pardon my ramblings...
To be fair the PCX 150 is a mid-size scooter while the Burgman is a maxi.

Kind of like comparing a BMW 3 series to an S-Class in terms of size. :P
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #34
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
We just test drove both Burgman's while at Biketoberfest in Daytona. I drove the 650 while the wifester drove a 400. Then we took the 650 out again together, with the wifester checking out the back seat. I/we were impressed. Very impressed with the 650 Burgman. She bought a new 400 Burgman in 2008 and still loves it. Her bike is a keeper. I might be joining her in Burgmansville with a new 650. It was that good.
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #35
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,716
DandM,
Congrats. Did you test drive a 2013 650?
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyT View Post
Sounds like a great trip! I hope to do similar some day. What a great way to see the country...
Is the BV 500 smaller than the Burgman 400 weight wise? I have only seen pics...
I assumed a bigger bike would be easier out on long trips on the highway, but I may be wrong on the weights of the two...
Ken
The BV and Scarabeo 500s are smaller and not smaller if that makes sense. They are a bit taller and not as wide which fits me better. Weight distribution is different with the Aprilia/Piaggio scoots having a lower center. I've ridden them both in 40+mph cross winds and found both to be quite stable. i think the BV handles gusts better than the Burgman but that's subjective. Heavier isn't always better and does affect top end as well as acceleration.

The Italian scoots combine many of the characteristics of the smaller traditional style scooters and while bigger than the GTS the BV/Scarabeo ride significantly different at high speeds due to their bigger wheels. Which makes them better for touring than the GTS. They are definitely more nimble than the Burgman and make tight turns easier (IMHO, yours may vary). I found the Burgman to be a bit of a pig at low speeds and I had to acquire a knack to move it around the garage. Something my husband never did which is another reason we traded it in. The Burgman was supposed to be his but I ended up riding it more than he did.

I've ridden both the Burgman and the Scarabeo (same engine and frame, different suspension, seat and cosmetics from its cousin the BV) with my brothers on their BMWs. Had no trouble keeping up with them in the twisties though going up a grade on a straight freeway they could leave me behind but that probably isn't surprising.

For me I'll take touring on either the Scarabeo or the BV over a Burgman any day of the week. Of the two I prefer the Scarabeo, its suspension is better, probably coming from the Aprilia bikes and the seat is more comfortable (not sure where that comes from though.)
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #37
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
DandM,
Congrats. Did you test drive a 2013 650?
I believe the 400 and 650 were both 2012's.
Wife is going to keep her 2008 400 Burgman.
I'll probably be trading in my 2011 C50T for a 2012 650 Burgman and join her.
I don't like buying a new and/or improved model of anything so the 2013 650 Burg is not an option.
Let someone else get the bugs out of a new and/or improved anything.
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #38
rs42sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I like it...
2009 Burgman 400 traded at 9424 miles
2007 Kymco People S 250-traded at 7860 miles
rs42sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #39
Lps2009
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandM View Post
I believe the 400 and 650 were both 2012's.
Wife is going to keep her 2008 400 Burgman.
I'll probably be trading in my 2011 C50T for a 2012 650 Burgman and join her.
I don't like buying a new and/or improved model of anything so the 2013 650 Burg is not an option.
Let someone else get the bugs out of a new and/or improved anything.

I just got a 2011 650, its my second one and I LOVE IT <<<< i had many different bikes between but went back to a burgman. !!!
Lps2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #40
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Both the 650 and the 400 are very nice, but different, bikes. When I was in the market for a maxiscooter, I test rode both models. For LD touring, the 650 is the best choice in maxiscooters and compares favorably to big touring motorcycles. It has lots of power, great handling and brakes, very comfortable and stable. Felt very much like my buddy's BMW RT1150. I found the stock seat mildly uncomfortable and the stock windscreen was not good, so I would need to change out both of those items, which is fairly standard procedure with most bikes. For around town, the 650 is just a bit too big and heavy for me, especially since I had my foot surgery. The 400 had more power than I expected, it went from zero to 60 mph quickly. I liked its stock seat but I did not like its windscreen nor the less than pleasant one cylinder drone at speed. It would be a very useful, economical and practical bike for suburban commuting and errand running - huge trunk and enough power and presence to handle aggressive cagers.

BTW, I ended up getting a Yamaha Tmax. Not quite as suitable for LD touring as the 650, but a much, much sportier bike. The 500 twin is more powerful and smoother than the 400. On good pavement, the Tmax even outcorners my old GSXR 1000. In many ways, I feel the Tmax is the best handling motorcycle I've owned. It also has a perfect riding position for me. Both the stock seat and windscreen fit me perfectly. The Tmax fits in between the 400 and 650 in many ways and I have enjoyed owning it for the last year.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #41
HornHonker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
If I had the space and money I'd still have a Burg 650 in my garage. Much like my Goldwing at 1/3 the price.
HornHonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #42
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
I currently have a Burgy 650, had a Burgy 400 before. The 400 was nice, untill I rode the 650!

I plan to get a 2013 Maxi, have ridden the new BMW C650GT a few times and like it a lot, but will wait until the new Burgy 650 is here to compare.

The Suzuki guy at the Long Beach show said the 2013 will NOT come with heated seat or grips (not offered in the US). Assuming the new Burgy is the same MSRP at the older one ($9900) is would actually be more expensive the the BMW by the time I did the upgrades for heat

We shall see.
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #43
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I fail to see any reason why anyone would prefer something like this to, say, a Goldwing.
Well I think honda has your answer (some what) with the Silver wing, something similar but different. The GW cost $24 K the Burgman around $10 K (for 2012 model) Also you have a 6 cylinder bike vs 2? some people like it on automatic and don't need an air bag.

I like that both models are available and would like to have either (more in favor of the 650 than the huge GW, maybe my wife would choose different)

About this new model, I think I need to take a big look that way, maybe a bit out of my price range but will like to read on the long term reviews on these machines!

Damasovi
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
paulcbrowne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I have a 2011 Burgman 650

I had 2008 until a gal on a cell phone hit me after ignoring a stop sign. The B650 is big and heavy. The stock suspension is lousy but Recetec and Ikon have the parts that remedy that. The seat is not comfortable but Corbin has a nice fix for that. Every time I get the urge for something else, the trade offs and cost get in the way. The running boards are great on long trips to move your feet and legs around. Most of the time I leave the panniers off and have lots of room under the seat. I added heated seats and grip plus wind deflectors for hands and legs. Some don't like the stock windshield but for me it's just right esp. Since it's electrically adjustable. On the highway, it holds its own even with a passenger. Slow speeds takes some getting used to esp. in tight places -- the Motorman handling videos are a great help, not unlike with a big Harley.

On twisty roads on-up it's a great handler. My previous BMS K1200LT was very similar, but 300 pounds heavier and quite a handful. The 2013 looks a little nicer, but not enough different to trade. The transmission is the same, just reworked shift points. Cost and functionality make it a winner. It's not going to win in any shoot out, but it does so much well that it's not something I'm going to part with. That is, unless the 2013 BMW R1200GS price is ridiculously low, but little chance of that!
paulcbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #45
Bama Gringo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lps2009 View Post
I just got a 2011 650, its my second one and I LOVE IT <<<< i had many different bikes between but went back to a burgman. !!!
i hear ya! iv had a lot of bikes. cruisers, dual sports, standards, u name it. I keep going back to the burgman 650, iv got a 2012 now. executive model. so smooth and nice. its the ultimate mid sized touring bike.

iv had 3 vstroms, 2006 burgman 650, c50 cruiser, cb1000, gs550, majesty 400 and the burgman 650 is the most enjoyment in riding iv had. I go everywhere on it. went to 10 states on my 07 burgman 650. hope to do the same on this 2012. im not sure I like the looks of the 2013 though.
Bama Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote