Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #136
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,172
The Yamaha AU website also shows a sweet plated WR450 like that Honda 450 that I would buy tomorrow if we got it. Well I would as long as it wasn't as screwed up as the WR450F we currently get with that ridiculous throttle stop and double baffled exhaust.

So the Japanese can and do make what I want. We just can't get them here in the USA. I wonder what the ratio of staff lawyers to bikes produced is for KTM compared to the Japanese. I suspect the reason why we don't get bikes like that might be found in that number.

It doesn't really matter to me. I am happy riding Euro. Even if I do it in a Yamaha blue helmet and Honda red jersey.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 10:31 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #137
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
You mean like the one they sell in Australia? It is listed as 268 pounds ready to rock. I don't know if Hondas gain weight being shipped there like they do here. But Honda does make a bike ready to go head to head with KTM. But I guess they can't sneak it past our EPA and DOT.

Weight for the pic - tha AU site is SSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW......

Or...this. ^^^ I would buy this bike in a minute if it came with a plate. I have known people with 250x and 450x with thousands of miles and not trouble.

I think alot of the so called reliability issues came from people riding them like two strokes.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #138
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
I think alot of the so called reliability issues came from people riding them like two strokes.
I think a lot came from people who bought a CRF, and thought that because it was a Honda they could treat it like an XR.

So a lot had filter and oil maintenance neglected.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #139
RyanR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
If Honda would update the CRF450X with a wide ratio 6sp and more oil capacity I would be a happy camper. Maybe beef up the rear subframe and make it factory street legal while I'm still dreaming.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #140
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,172
I am with you. I don't even care about the oil or the subframe as long as it will hold my 200 pound ass and a wolfman enduro bag of tools/tubes. After owning an XL600R and my current LC4E I fear no oil change.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #141
RyanR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
Or...this. ^^^ I would buy this bike in a minute if it came with a plate. I have known people with 250x and 450x with thousands of miles and not trouble.

I clicked over 10,000 miles on my CRF250x this summer, no issues, never left me stranded. Valves have all stayed in spec from first adjustment at 1k miles. I want more power and a 6sp but it's hard to think of selling the CRF when it's been absolutely reliable and taken me there and back without fail so many times.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #142
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 806
new street legal 250

I just saw the street legal crf250x(L?)It looked a lot beefier than the 230. Priced at 4700. Street legal.
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #143
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Was away after tiring of bs from punk immature insecure uneducated morons. Really, some here sound like the only thing in their life is a motorcycle and they think since they ride something and assume personal expertise then, they are special. Yea, but not like you think.

Some responses indicate that posts are not read and understood, obviously. And it is a lot of the same crew posting all over here who apparently have not much else in their life

The unrequited moto-toy parochialism shown by some here certainly prevents conversation by intelligent persons who ride for recreation.No worries, while many here seem to be mature and intelligent, too many are not worthy of engaging.
Just so you know, my mental image of you puts you in a red velvet smoking jacket and smoking one of those long curly pipes.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #144
itrack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I clicked over 10,000 miles on my CRF250x this summer, no issues, never left me stranded. Valves have all stayed in spec from first adjustment at 1k miles. I want more power and a 6sp but it's hard to think of selling the CRF when it's been absolutely reliable and taken me there and back without fail so many times.
Keep us updated on your mileage. I might have to grab one and DS it.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #145
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
If Honda would update the CRF450X with a wide ratio 6sp and more oil capacity I would be a happy camper. Maybe beef up the rear subframe and make it factory street legal while I'm still dreaming.
Absolutely. Have discussed with a very knowledgable pro guy and very tempted to DS a CRF-X...but not quite!

Interested like others to hear how the newer 250X and 450X do as DS/ adventure rigs. And as well, I am very interested to hear how the new 500 and 350 KTMs will do for DS and adventure. Info appreciated. Have read that the KTM 350 did great in Baja and Morocco...

Would be nice to have that performance in a lower-maintenance less- problems ride...maybe soon?
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #146
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 856
I d/sed a crf450x back in '08. Its been an awesome bike! No issues whatsoever, no need to swap intake valves...the key her is to keep a clean air filter and make sure the things mounted correctly... its the dirt that gets the intakes. Tiny flat one ring piston keeps chugging along. Its a little weaker after 10000 miles but only by a tiny bit. Might swap into a TRX 2 ring version at rebuild, though it would hamper the 450's awesome fast spool up... Its got the full race Honda book mods done on it too, heaps of power.

No need for a 6 speed at all. I have to wonder about all the comments about the need for a wide ratio box...it comes with one! Its the R version that has the close ratio box! I can hit 100mph with 15/45 gears and its still low enough for most stuff. Technical single track s easier 14/45, and its still got a top end that can easily cruise at 70... I really fail to see the need for a 6th beyond just having one because the KTM do.

Added an oil cooler so it would hold more, though its really no biggie. Bigger tanks...I have several on up to the gigantic 7+ Acerbis. Add a stater, hand controls and lights and its good to go. In fact, I ripped all that stuff back off, unnecessary. Brake light switches and a rear tail with a license light are all thats required here in NC. Even dumped the soft bags too, backpack works fine. Trick is to travel with only the stuff ya need, take twice as much money and half as much stuff.

CRFX makes a great ds!
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #147
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Honda could make a bike with a nice frame and the XR650R motor to replace the XR650L, I think it's about due. I mean, seriously, is their anything even in the works?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #148
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,740
There is good reason why we have the term "Yawnda". Completely uninspired designs provided by bean counters and focus groups - whether it be cars, snow blowers, generators, or motorcycles.

Soichiro is spinning in his grave at 10K rpm.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #149
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
I d/sed a crf450x back in '08. Its been an awesome bike! No issues whatsoever, no need to swap intake valves...the key her is to keep a clean air filter and make sure the things mounted correctly... its the dirt that gets the intakes. Tiny flat one ring piston keeps chugging along. Its a little weaker after 10000 miles but only by a tiny bit. Might swap into a TRX 2 ring version at rebuild, though it would hamper the 450's awesome fast spool up... Its got the full race Honda book mods done on it too, heaps of power.

No need for a 6 speed at all. I have to wonder about all the comments about the need for a wide ratio box...it comes with one! Its the R version that has the close ratio box! I can hit 100mph with 15/45 gears and its still low enough for most stuff. Technical single track s easier 14/45, and its still got a top end that can easily cruise at 70... I really fail to see the need for a 6th beyond just having one because the KTM do.

Added an oil cooler so it would hold more, though its really no biggie. Bigger tanks...I have several on up to the gigantic 7+ Acerbis. Add a stater, hand controls and lights and its good to go. In fact, I ripped all that stuff back off, unnecessary. Brake light switches and a rear tail with a license light are all thats required here in NC. Even dumped the soft bags too, backpack works fine. Trick is to travel with only the stuff ya need, take twice as much money and half as much stuff.

CRFX makes a great ds!
Very. Cool. Thanks

Edit to add: What you say there makes me want to wait and hope for a street-legal CRF450 Rally!

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 08:21 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #150
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
Honda should build a 1981 XL500. I had one, 20 years later, and it was the best dual sport I've ever had by far. Way better than the KLR650 and XR650L, and I'm assuming the DR650 as well. Unfortunately the PO had not treated it well, and the engine blew up. And as is typical for Honda, I could not get parts to fix it.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote