ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #676
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
I just got to thinking.
Everyone refers to the DR650 as the ultimate 'zombie apocalypse' bike.
Sorry, but I tend to disagree.
Why?
The bike is not fuel efficient enough.
Ok ok, the DR650 is quite a fuel efficient bike, especially considering how much forward-lurching torque blast-outta-da-cornerz fun it has, it really is.
But for a zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster bike? Sorry, no.
The bikes that will truly shine when shit really hits the motherfucken fan will be bikes such as the TW200, the CT110, the DR250, the XT200.
Bikes which use fuck all of nothing petrol and will get you anywhere and everywhere, and will keep thumping along happily all day. Because lets face it, petrol is going to be damn near unobtainable, and when you can get it, it will be very expensive (think $5 a litre) and people who sell it will be few and far between.

OR.

A multi-fuel motor equipped DR650, a la the HAYES-DT M1030-M2, capable of achieving near 100 MPG. Now THAT would be unstoppable.
Think of the logic behind it. A powerful, high-revving, torque rich, mechanical direct injected, indestructible engine capable of achieving astonishing astonishing fuel mileage mated with the most versatile best go-anywhere any-time bike known to man.

When the zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster inevitably hits, there's going to plenty of people scraping a living together making fuel this engine is capable of happily running on. It is going to be the most widely available and cheapest fuel in existence. After all, you can make kerosene/diesel out of used motor oil (providing you run it through an oil cleaner first) very cheap and biodiesel out of vegetable crops, and lets not forget the vast quantities of unused jet fuel that will be looming around in stores. All of which the M1030-M2's engine is capable of running on quite happily.

One of these days either Hayes-DT is going to release their magnificent single cylinder diesel motorcycle engine into the public sector, or someone is going to design and manufacture an equivalent nearly as good (perhaps better?) engine and make it available for sale to the public. I plan on being one of the first to have it adapted it to the DR650 when this happens, so that I will have the edge when petroleum becomes unobtainium.
No gas powered machine of any type will be viable in a post apocalyptic scenario. These on the other hand:




__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #677
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer
 
planemanx15's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Do you have a newer Vapor that has an additional temperature probe? My Vapor's temp probe sits under one of the spark plugs to get (approx.) cylinder head temps. That said, warm oil = happy engine. You may experiment with blocking off 1/3 or 1/2 of the cooler to see what effect you get. When I was racing (cars) we tried to get the oil temp to be close to the water temp. Obviously, that's not a consideration here. I'd shoot for a temp somewhere around 200-220 F.

My commute to work is short, too (8 miles, 20 minutes). I see cylinder head temps near 250 F in similar ambient temps. I wonder what my oil's temp is? Of course, you could go with a thinner oil, too. That wouldn't help with operating temps but it would provide some peace of mind knowing that the oil is circulating on those cold starts.
I'm not sure what your talking about, so i assume I have to older vapor. It came with 1 probe for the spark plug, which I bored out a little and use for the top oil bolt. I usually get around 180*F on the highway in the summer, with around town highs in the 220*F range.
__________________
2000 Suzuki DR650-790 - 790cc Big bore build thread
1985 Yamaha CA50 - The little scooter that Could
2009 Piaggio BV-250 - Escusi, Babba be bo-bee
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #678
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Um, I don't think the upper triple on my '97 is steel. It looks cast to me (and it's not iron).
You're correct. I was thinking of the steel brace piece that sits between upper and lower T clamps. Have you seen that piece? Also steel turn signal mounts are there and of course the steel front sub frame bit that holds headlight and shroud.

As mentioned, the problem is neatly stowing the wiring
so no abrading takes place down the road.

The stock Alu upper triple is maybe a bit heavier/larger due to housing ignition switch and other extras there. A racing clamp would have none of that, probably lighter and stronger too?

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 03:30 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #679
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck
 
Bultaco206's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mineral Point, WI
Oddometer: 2,134
Let the transformation begin

No pissing here. And no moaning. And please don't yell at me because I've not owned a DR before. But look what followed me home this morning. A 2006 with 4600 miles. I have a few things to sort out (this thing is leaner than a vegetarian cattle farmer) and then I can start blowing money on yet another bike.

__________________
'07 DL650, '06 KLX351, '97 DR350, '83 XR350R (vintage GP racer), '74 Bultaco Alpina (trials)
Bultaco206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #680
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 2,000
Sweet, Bultaco206. Keep us updated.....
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #681
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Everyone goes straight to the apocalypse when these scenarios are contemplated. I think the DR650 is probably the best "get out of Pensacola when a cat 5 hurricane is approaching and everyone is going insane, lines are miles long for gas, and all the roads and freeways are packed with cars." You could ride off the side of the freeway in the grass, follow some railroad tracks, or take dirt roads, fields, etc to get out of Dodge. I bought the DR for completely different reasons, but unbeknownst to me I actually bought a pretty decent shtf vehicle. Of course, useless if your not single, if you have big pets, etc. But for a single dude looking to grab some clothes, a laptop, and some small valuables and get out of trouble, its perfect. Strap a few gas cans to the bike (with an IMS/Acerbis/Safari already on it), and you can get 3-500 miles away from trouble before you even need gas. Its simple, nothing to break or overheat, etc.

As far as total Apocalypse, I would take a bicycle over anything. A horse can be shot by someone, it needs food and water (like you do), it cannot be thrown over a fence, and it can be spooked. A bicycle is literally almost bulletproof. Anyways..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #682
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's a good mod if you can pull it off. We've seen a few here, a few kits are out there that fit the DR650. Some have adapted a Buell headlight. Not bad.

If you can manage all the wiring there and find a nice home for it ... then should be good. The steel front subframe is a bit heavy and perhaps overkill for what it's doing. A rubber strap on dirt bike style headlight/shroud could work. I would go with an HID bulb
for sure. 3 times brighter than stock, cheap, reliable, weighs nothing.

You may as well ditch the stock upper and lower triple clamps as well. The Upper DR one is heavy steel. Maybe you can find something in Alu to fit?
Yeah, definitely need to worry about protecting all the wiring. I have seen mention of the buell headlight mod, but im not sure exactly how much weight it saves- you have any clue? If it saves alot compared to stock, Id do it. If it only saves a little I might as well stay stock and buy an HID kit. This is why I was looking at KTM headlights and aftermarket ones- weight. Of course, as an adv bike the light needs to actually work.

Never considered anything in the forks. I need to get it all apart and take a look, but I also need to get it back on the road! Im a huge believer in doing smart things to reduce weight. When the price gets ridiculous then I stop. I did the same with my 1200 bandit and it made a huge difference in tight twisties throwing it from side to side.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #683
greystoke
2 wheel whore
 
greystoke's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Brisneyland
Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Everyone goes straight to the apocalypse when these scenarios are contemplated. I think the DR650 is probably the best "get out of Pensacola when a cat 5 hurricane is approaching and everyone is going insane, lines are miles long for gas, and all the roads and freeways are packed with cars." You could ride off the side of the freeway in the grass, follow some railroad tracks, or take dirt roads, fields, etc to get out of Dodge. I bought the DR for completely different reasons, but unbeknownst to me I actually bought a pretty decent shtf vehicle. Of course, useless if your not single, if you have big pets, etc. But for a single dude looking to grab some clothes, a laptop, and some small valuables and get out of trouble, its perfect. Strap a few gas cans to the bike (with an IMS/Acerbis/Safari already on it), and you can get 3-500 miles away from trouble before you even need gas. Its simple, nothing to break or overheat, etc.

As far as total Apocalypse, I would take a bicycle over anything. A horse can be shot by someone, it needs food and water (like you do), it cannot be thrown over a fence, and it can be spooked. A bicycle is literally almost bulletproof. Anyways..
And zombies love horse brains too...
__________________
2 Brothers,
2 Scooters,
25,000 kilometres.
www.rightaroundaustralia.com

PX200
'86 K100RS
K7 DR650SE
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #684
neoxaero
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystoke View Post
And zombies love horse brains too...
I just can't picture Mr Ed getting eaten by a zombie... "Saaave me Willber!"
neoxaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #685
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
So where's the link to your build thread?

All in good time. I envision it would cost a fair few thousand dollars plus shipping for the single cylinder diesel engine I would like to use for the project, plus a wrecked DR650 to use as a donor bike.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #686
Bronco638
Nobody Home
 
Bronco638's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Itasca, IL
Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
I'm not sure what your talking about, so i assume I have to older vapor. It came with 1 probe for the spark plug, which I bored out a little and use for the top oil bolt. I usually get around 180*F on the highway in the summer, with around town highs in the 220*F range.
I was wondering if a newer version of the Vapor came with two probes; one for the spark plug and one for the oil cooler. You answered my question. Since you only see 180 F oil temps during the Summer, try to block off the cooler to get temps closer to 180. It may not be easy since daily ambient temps tend to be widely variable at this time of year.

I'm kind of chasing a similar issue with my VTR250; the engine is so small and radiator rather efficient so that I see very low water temps in the Spring and Fall. I'm trying to come up with some sort of sliding shield so I can block off varying sections of the rad to maintain better temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
You're correct. I was thinking of the steel brace piece that sits between upper and lower T clamps. Have you seen that piece? Also steel turn signal mounts are there and of course the steel front sub frame bit that holds headlight and shroud.

As mentioned, the problem is neatly stowing the wiring
so no abrading takes place down the road.

The stock Alu upper triple is maybe a bit heavier/larger due to housing ignition switch and other extras there. A racing clamp would have none of that, probably lighter and stronger too?
It's stamped steel is it not? Are those support pieces that heavy? I'm going to guess that any other metal may not handle the vibrations as well (stress fracture). I suppose you could weld a section of .75" square tube to the head bearing tube so you could bolt a structure to that. Then, you could remove all of the stuff that's attached to the forks/triples.
__________________
There are some simple thruths......and dogs know what they are - Joseph Duemer

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #687
Bronco638
Nobody Home
 
Bronco638's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Itasca, IL
Oddometer: 3,729
My DR's starter has developed a little bit of a squeal during start. It only seems to happen after the bike has been sitting outside in the parking garage all day (cool temps). The weather has started to change here (Chicago) so that day time highs are in the 50s/60s. In the morning when the DR has been sitting in the (warm) garage overnight, it doesn't make a sound.

I looked at the shop manual and it seems that some lubrication is required. But, I didn't want to take a lot of things apart in case this sound might indicate bigger issues. I plan to address it over the winter but thought I would ask the collective now.

Has anyone else experienced this? TIA, Dave.
__________________
There are some simple thruths......and dogs know what they are - Joseph Duemer

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #688
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox
 
Willwilkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Was Oz, now London
Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
My DR's starter has developed a little bit of a squeal during start. It only seems to happen after the bike has been sitting outside in the parking garage all day (cool temps). The weather has started to change here (Chicago) so that day time highs are in the 50s/60s. In the morning when the DR has been sitting in the (warm) garage overnight, it doesn't make a sound.

I looked at the shop manual and it seems that some lubrication is required. But, I didn't want to take a lot of things apart in case this sound might indicate bigger issues. I plan to address it over the winter but thought I would ask the collective now.

Has anyone else experienced this? TIA, Dave.
Sounds like a duck with a sore throat? Perfectly normal, they've been doing it for years
__________________
"Don't worry" they said "It could be worse"
So I didn't worry and it did get worse!

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #689
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
As far as total Apocalypse, I would take a bicycle over anything. A horse can be shot by someone, it needs food and water (like you do), it cannot be thrown over a fence, and it can be spooked. A bicycle is literally almost bulletproof. Anyways..
Can't eat your bicycle in a pinch.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #690
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
My DR's starter has developed a little bit of a squeal during start. It only seems to happen after the bike has been sitting outside in the parking garage all day (cool temps). The weather has started to change here (Chicago) so that day time highs are in the 50s/60s. In the morning when the DR has been sitting in the (warm) garage overnight, it doesn't make a sound.

I looked at the shop manual and it seems that some lubrication is required. But, I didn't want to take a lot of things apart in case this sound might indicate bigger issues. I plan to address it over the winter but thought I would ask the collective now.

Has anyone else experienced this? TIA, Dave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
Sounds like a duck with a sore throat? Perfectly normal, they've been doing it for years
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=32
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,400 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014