Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #2251
pEEf
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
The thought occurred to me just now while I was driving with Awolnation's SAIL thumping on the stereo... "I wonder if having the subwoofer that close to the fridge is a bad idea?"

I'll let you know if I manage to blow up a beer from vibration
Actually, it'll probably HELP cool them down faster by active circulation of both air inside the fridge bouncing all around to the beat, as well as circulation of the fluid (as in beer) around the bottle! =)
pEEf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #2252
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
To Geek et. all:
What are you using for bed padding? I've got my L track fittings coming in on Thursday and I'm hoping to build the sleeping platform this weekend, waffling between a camping pad of sorts and permanent foam. Thoughts? Hoping to keep it relatively inexpensive.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #2253
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Thanks for the info on the fan. Sounds like it will fit the bill. Now I just need more bills to get it to fit...

I love the idea you had for the maps. Really gives it that adventure feel! What are your plans for the sides and roof area? I pulled out my entire headliner and am thinking of leaving it out and figuring something different for it. Was yours a full length one?
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #2254
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,240
Things are looking nice!
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #2255
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
Thanks for the info on the fan. Sounds like it will fit the bill. Now I just need more bills to get it to fit...

I love the idea you had for the maps. Really gives it that adventure feel! What are your plans for the sides and roof area? I pulled out my entire headliner and am thinking of leaving it out and figuring something different for it. Was yours a full length one?
We're going to be doing the ceiling, the side walls, and the bed platform all in interweave fabric (like the outside vans images I posted a few pages back when we ran into the couple in Crested Butte.

"was yours a full length one?"

Not sure what you are referring to.. the van? It's a 144.. not the long one?

...or are you referring to the headliner? Our headliner ends at the back of the cockpit.
We still need to pull ours out and sound insulate above it.. I'll probably wrap it in matching interweave as the rest.

Hyperboarder: until now we've been using an inflatable queen size bed. Works really well. The wood itself I plan on covering with 1/8" foam and then the interweave just to give it an "interior wall" feeling.
Our long term goal is to go to an upholstery shop and have custom cushions made that make two sofas and backs.. and then all folds down flat and flush to make a bed.

Ian: thanks! I keep making pieces look good while ignoring the bigger picture... sooner or later all the pieces will add up (I hope )

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #2256
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
We're going to be doing the ceiling, the side walls, and the bed platform all in interweave fabric (like the outside vans images I posted a few pages back when we ran into the couple in Crested Butte.

"was yours a full length one?"

Not sure what you are referring to.. the van? It's a 144.. not the long one?

...or are you referring to the headliner? Our headliner ends at the back of the cockpit.
We still need to pull ours out and sound insulate above it.. I'll probably wrap it in matching interweave as the rest.

I was referring to the headliner. I had the full length and had to pull the whole bastard out to get at the back so I could mount those panels well. I'm curious about what they look like from the factory if they only have the front headliner. What I mean is how does it transition to no headliner? I am thinking of putting the front back in and doing something else w/ the rear.
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #2257
Geek OP
oot & aboot

It is pretty lame actually.. there are just large foam blocks where the headliner transitions to the cargo area.

Similar to this:

I suspect the blocks might also have a purpose in certain types of accidents....

I will be running a custom cut interweave wrapped piece of wood along the transition to make it look nice. I know some folks build a "storage area" above the driver and passenger but at this point I'm trying to avoid that as I like being able to stand up getting out of the front seats without hitting my head (and we pivot both front seats to face the rear).

Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #2258
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Looking back through my pics from when I bought the van.. here's a photo of the foam blocks

...and here is the gap the block hides

Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #2259
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I made the world's longest t-nut

what's that in the back? a wall?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #2260
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Outta here

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #2261
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
To Geek et. all:
What are you using for bed padding? I've got my L track fittings coming in on Thursday and I'm hoping to build the sleeping platform this weekend, waffling between a camping pad of sorts and permanent foam. Thoughts? Hoping to keep it relatively inexpensive.
I'm toying around with the idea of using a 3" memory foam topper. We put one of these on our mattress at home and it helped add some lifespan to it.

It got me to thinking it might work well in the van, and would be easy to cut to size.
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #2262
Geek OP
oot & aboot

We are now out in the desert miles from anyone (I have better signal than at home... Go figure) and we just laid down in the new bed for the first time...

This setup is awesome!
I believe the exact sentence I just heard was "I wish we could get our bedroom at home setup this well"

The overhanging counter tops that go over our feet are great! My glass of wine is resting safely in arms reach yet the counter ends to where it doesn't interfere with me at all. I can also sit up and I have 3 inches of head clearance from the overhead cabinet I've smacked my head on so many times :-)

Overall we are loving the huge counter tops... It is such useful space. Everything about this new layout is so much more ergonomic.

Initial impression is that we made the right choice to re-design based on our comfort and put the gear we carry second; and so far it seems well worth all of the extra work.... We will see how it shakes out over the next few days.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #2263
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,240
Now get off the Interwebs and have a great time
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #2264
Geek OP
oot & aboot