Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #14776
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
PS: I ride in rain a good portion of the year in the great "Northwet" - it has saved me several times on fast stops to avoid idiot 'left turners' that dont SEE motorcycles. As long as front wheel is straight - tiger stops quick & true, with no propensity for a high or low side event. I think ABS is a huge leap forward in motorcycle safety.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #14777
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
How's everyone liking the ABS option on this bike? Seems like not many people like it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I'm surprised by that. I find the ABS to be very good.

It's not intrusive; I can leave it on when riding off pavement and it's not given me any nasty surprises so far. It works well when it does kick in.

If it's down to a vote then I'm giving it a positive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
In a word, fantastic. Works seamlessly. Just got back from a 3-day 625 mile trip with about a hundred miles of dirt roads. Never switched it off, never bothered me. More and more riders are finding that unless the terrain is really steep or they're trying to trailride the damn thing, the ABS works just fine on loose surfaces.

I have talked to GS riders that always switch theirs off, so I am gathering that the Triumph abs unit must work exceptionally well.

I hear my rear tire chattering all the time but never bothers, only assures.

EDIT: BTW, I think all the bikes shipped to NA have ABS, so it's probably a moot point. Also btw, it's easy to switch off at the instrument panel, a little fiddly with the menus 'till you learn where everything is and how to get there, but nothing too complicated.

I totally agree, the ABS works very well on or off road. Have never turned mine off and never felt the need. My wife and I went on a 4 day dual sport ride and it included LOTS of steep, loose, rocky climbs and descents and I never once felt the ABS do anything but slow and stop the bike predictably. Too many people have been conditioned for too many years to expect scary, dangerous ABS systems from BMW on loose surfaces. Yamaha have an excellent ABS system on the Tenere and the system on the Tiger just works. I don't even think about anymore, I just ride.

It was the ABS's fault, really

bross screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 10:06 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #14778
henkew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Givi Luggage, Keys, Lock Barrels, and Hot Babes

I have a Trekker 33, Trekker 46, and an E55 (I am considering getting a Trekker 52 to replace the E55). I would like to replace the lock barrels so all boxes are keyed the same. The problem the Trekker 46 has a new style lock and the other two boxes use the old style. All cases were purchases in the past year.

The old 3 lock replacement kit is Givi part number Z228 ($30). The new style lock is part number SL 103 (but not available in the USA). The new locks are longer and use a more secure key. The two are not interchangeable without an adapter.

I have been told that I can buy the new style lock and use it on an older one by adding part Z640R. This is essentially an adapter that will allow you to mount the longer, newer lock into the old style case. The only problem with this is that SL-103 sets are not available in the USA.

I have also been told the older style lock set will work on any of the cases by some sales reps, but others have told me they will not work with or without an adapter.

Ideally, using the lock barrels that came with my XC would be the way to go and my motorcycle key would then fit the luggage. But the Triumph barrel is too long. I wonder if the Givi adapter for their longer barrels (part number Z650R) could be used to mount the Triumph lock barrels.

Has anyone out there had luggage with different GIVI lock styles and how did you resolve it?

Also, has anyone by chance tested part Z650R with the Triumph lock barrels or attempted to mount the triumph barrels in the givi luggage using another workaround?

Thanks!

PS: Hot Babes dig matching lock sets so they can easily find their stuff.
henkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #14779
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkew View Post
Has anyone out there had luggage with different GIVI lock styles and how did you resolve it?
Your post got me thinking. I did not know there were two styles of lock barrels.

I purchased a TRK33N and TRK46N earlier this year. They were separately keyed, but I used a Givi 2-lock set and replaced the originals with the new barrels and now both cases are keyed identically.

I have a set of E360 cases that are color-matched to my ZZR; they are identically keyed also.

Then, lastly, I have a Traffic II case that has its own key pattern.

I had always figured I could cross-key the Traffic II to either of the side case sets with a 3-lock system, but now I'm not so sure. The thought of cross-keying all five cases had also been in my head, but I'm not certain how one could buy two sets of 3 lock barrels and be able to make sure they were identical.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #14780
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
How's everyone liking the ABS option on this bike? Seems like not many people like it...
You are falling for the typical Internet trap: the three guys in the world that don't like the ABS on the Tiger are vocal like hell on every single forum that'll let them in writing dozens of rants while thousands and thousands of happy customers never even think twice about it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #14781
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You are falling for the typical Internet trap: the three guys in the world that don't like the ABS on the Tiger are vocal like hell on every single forum that'll let them in writing dozens of rants while thousands and thousands of happy customers never even think twice about it.
You don't even know the ABS is there unless you get yourself into the situation that you need it. Works far better than the so called superior system used on most cars, which don't seem to have any "feel" to them at all.

So yes, I would say that 99% of the people don't complain about it because they simply forget that it's there.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #14782
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
ABS? Wassat?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #14783
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
The ABS works very well and I think most that have given it a chance on loose descents have been surprised by how unintrusive and usable it was. On wet asphalt it is flawless. It maybe the best implementation of ABS I have ever experienced on any vehicle. Its sensitivity and response has always been expected rather than unexpected.

I actually don't recall much in the way of complaints about how it works at all. I think the complaints that have been aired have related to it being more complex to disable than it needed to be for those that want to disable it for loose surface riding, rather than anything wrong with the ABS itself.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #14784
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
The ABS works very well and I think most that have given it a chance on loose descents have been surprised by how unintrusive and usable it was. On wet asphalt it is flawless. It maybe the best implementation of ABS I have ever experienced on any vehicle. Its sensitivity and response has always been expected rather than unexpected.

I actually don't recall much in the way of complaints about how it works at all. I think the complaints that have been aired have related to it being more complex to disable than it needed to be for those that want to disable it for loose surface riding, rather than anything wrong with the ABS itself.
+1 I agree i talked about the ABS in my 25K review i did on my blog. The ABS is so much better than the BMW ABS and i think most of us are riding off road with it on. Something the beemers never do. It lets you in put just enough to do a little slide before kicking in and straightening you out. It actually allows me to control the bike the way i like off road. I see no reason to ever disable it in my opinion.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #14785
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
It's fine. If you don't like ABS then you don't ride well enough or know when to turn it off -- and the only time you turn it off is when you want to use the rear brake to "turn", not stop, the bike. Otherwise there is no difference as the ABS only engages when the rider locks the wheel -- you will never see it on any rocky anything, unless you either over-brake and lock the wheel, or want to go Enduro style and whip the rear wheel around and oooops, remember you left ABS on and the rear isn't moving around like you expected.

Now whether or not you want to ride a bike this big like that is a personal choice I guess... I'm not a good enough rider to be comfortable doing that on my Tiger, I'm a puss on my Tiger.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #14786
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,554
Everytime these ABS post start up, I feel like a weirdo. I always turn it off for dirt. I'm just used to locking up both front & back brakes in the dirt. I have tried to leave it on several times & I hate the way the rear pulses. I could live with the front ABS, but I can't get used to the rear. I have never felt like its a problem to turn it off. Yes, a button would be better but it only takes a second. I don't regret getting ABS. I love it on wet tarmac, plus you can change out sprockets & it doesn't mess with the speedo/odo.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #14787
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Everytime these ABS post start up, I feel like a weirdo. I always turn it off for dirt. I'm just used to locking up both front & back brakes in the dirt. I have tried to leave it on several times & I hate the way the rear pulses. I could live with the front ABS, but I can't get used to the rear. I have never felt like its a problem to turn it off. Yes, a button would be better but it only takes a second. I don't regret getting ABS. I love it on wet tarmac, plus you can change out sprockets & it doesn't mess with the speedo/odo.
A voice of reason. You prefer to ride with ABS off in the dirt but you don't moan and bitch about the crappy ABS because you can't switch it off or it's too hard to switch off.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #14788
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I'm surprised by that. I find the ABS to be very good.

It's not intrusive; I can leave it on when riding off pavement and it's not given me any nasty surprises so far. It works well when it does kick in.

If it's down to a vote then I'm giving it a positive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
In a word, fantastic. Works seamlessly. Just got back from a 3-day 625 mile trip with about a hundred miles of dirt roads. Never switched it off, never bothered me. More and more riders are finding that unless the terrain is really steep or they're trying to trailride the damn thing, the ABS works just fine on loose surfaces.

I have talked to GS riders that always switch theirs off, so I am gathering that the Triumph abs unit must work exceptionally well.

I hear my rear tire chattering all the time but never bothers, only assures.

EDIT: BTW, I think all the bikes shipped to NA have ABS, so it's probably a moot point. Also btw, it's easy to switch off at the instrument panel, a little fiddly with the menus 'till you learn where everything is and how to get there, but nothing too complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
The ABS works very very well. Personally, I'd just rather NOT have it as it's just added complexity I don't want or need but when it works, it works very well.

Oh great thanks guys! I have jus spent three hours at the dealership and have learned a lot about the bike but their answers always seem "by the book" so it's nice to have some real input from the actual owners...what actually happens when the rear wheel locks... how does the abs kick it and how does it feel?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #14789
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
It's fine. If you don't like ABS then you don't ride well enough or know when to turn it off -- and the only time you turn it off is when you want to use the rear brake to "turn", not stop, the bike. Otherwise there is no difference as the ABS only engages when the rider locks the wheel -- you will never see it on any rocky anything, unless you either over-brake and lock the wheel, or want to go Enduro style and whip the rear wheel around and oooops, remember you left ABS on and the rear isn't moving around like you expected.

Now whether or not you want to ride a bike this big like that is a personal choice I guess... I'm not a good enough rider to be comfortable doing that on my Tiger, I'm a puss on my Tiger.
hahaha yeah i will definitely begetting something smaller for offroading till i get really comfortable with it! thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #14790
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I totally agree, the ABS works very well on or off road. Have never turned mine off and never felt the need. My wife and I went on a 4 day dual sport ride and it included LOTS of steep, loose, rocky climbs and descents and I never once felt the ABS do anything but slow and stop the bike predictably. Too many people have been conditioned for too many years to expect scary, dangerous ABS systems from BMW on loose surfaces. Yamaha have an excellent ABS system on the Tenere and the system on the Tiger just works. I don't even think about anymore, I just ride.

It was the ABS's fault, really
Great thank you! what brand are you panniers? I was looking at the triumph ones and they seem really flimsy and WAY over priced!