Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #16
concours OP
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracertdi View Post
And labor unions wonder why modern educated people call them dinosaurs.

Harley died in 2003. Almost everything is outsourced to the lowest vendor these days. I had problems with a $1000 Harley chrome wheel. The chrome started bubbling off in less than a year. Harley said F-U, only covered for 90 days! Now the rest of the chrome on my garaged 2003 is starting to bubble. I'm probably going to have to spend upwards of $2000 to get stuff re-chromed.

I would take that bike back and demand my money back. Hire an attorney if necessary or stand outside the dealership with the lemon in question and a sign on your back and chest. Kill their sales till they make it right!
It's one thing to pay all the money for the finer things in life, it's quite another to pay all the money and get something that looks like, but really isn't. The MoCo isn't the only one either.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
concours OP
WFO for 41 years

" Spoke wheels are best left to dirt bikes where their
flexibility is an asset. "

I agree, I had invader steel fabricated wheels in '78, alloy wheels ever since, except on dirt bikes. Selfish reasons. MY time cleaning, MY time fixing a flat with a plug kit in ten minutes. An 800 lb. cruiser with inner tubes is fine for being 30 minutes from home, but if your time is worth anything at all, a flat can really monkey up the works.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
concours OP
WFO for 41 years

"I was chatting with a guy at the gas pumps yesterday? he said he had a new bike same as mine. he mentioned that he had the brake issue too...said they replaced the black box on the handlebar (Not sure what it's called) "

Anyone know of a TSB about the master cyl?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,530
Have them move the caliper over

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #20
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post

Anyone know of a TSB about the master cyl?

I'll check today.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #21
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I've been riding 41 years, a mechanic for decades. I STRONGLY DISAGREE that loose spokes are not uncommon. Maybe the steaming piles that get dragged into a repair shop, but not without GOOD REASON.

Every spoked wheel that I have even owned needed to be adjusted from time to time.

....usually before it was wobbling enough to open the rotor pistons
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #22
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Man the lack of mechanical understanding around here is stunning. Loose spokes will not affect the brake rotor unless it is a perimeter brake. Never saw one of those attached to a laced wheel either. The rotor is attached to the hub which is fixed in place by the clamping force of a tightened axle against the forks making it a rigid assembly. Sheesh..............
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #23
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 882
Glad she didn't get in a wreck over this and can appreciate all the concerns as to quality and competency with the build as well as with the shop's work. Obviously spoke/laced wheels can get loose and require some attention that a cast wheel does not need, but HD has had this type of wheel on bikes for ever so it's not like a certified HD mechanic should not be aware of proper maintenance and care procedures, etc. Are these the new tubeless rims or the "old" tube type? Shouldn't matter, just curious and the brakes getting soft after a few miles would indicate an ongoing loss of fluid or soft hose (ballooning) so there should be a very noticeable leak at a loose fitting or swelling/damage in a line, etc.

Good luck!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #24
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Those 28 spoke mag wheels never come lose....
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Back in the day... when I had Harleys, my 750GT Ducati, etc. I ALWAYS had a spoke wrench in the tool kit. Laced a couple of wheels myself and, as someone pointed out, it's no BFD. But they do get loose. Once a month me and my pals would sit out in the driveway and tap each spoke until one went "clunk" instead of "bing!". "Clunk" mean loose. Not very scientific but it worked. If you insist on having spoked wheels in the 21st Century on a street bike than I suggest you think retro, not just look it.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 343
Not to rain on your sis's troubles, but the problem will not go away. 2013 Harleys have a rash of spoke wheel problem that they will no recall or address. My local dealer, after fixing my loose spokes, now cannot get the motor company to warrant a second repair...

We ended up taking off the wheels ourselves and sending them off to our wheel shop to have them tigheten properly before someone gets killed.

FWIW, 2013 Harleys are the biggest trash made by the motor company in recent years.
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #27
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
So, my Sister is headed to the dealer for the 1000 mile service on her new bike

This is wrong on a few levels.
At 1000 miles I'd expect any bike (including my Ural) to not have these issues.
Another is the look of the rims and spokes at 1000 miles. I've had 40,000 mile bikes with better looking chrome.
Why on earth would the brakes even get touched at the dealer?

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #28
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
This is wrong on a few levels.
At 1000 miles I'd expect any bike (including my Ural) to not have these issues.
Another is the look of the rims and spokes at 1000 miles. I've had 40,000 mile bikes with better looking chrome.
Why on earth would the brakes even get touched at the dealer?
I agree about Chrome. That wheel shows rust. Something is odd here.

Harley has their 2012 bikes still up on their website. There's no paint scheme (white with blue stripe) for 2012 heritage softails.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #29
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
what a mess.

I've never had a problem with any of my bikes' spoked wheels in well over 100k miles combined. Well, that's not entirely true - after a season of racing an XR650R, I had to replace one spoke - and that was on a 13 year old bike that had been raced.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #30
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,554
While no recall, there is a service bulletin out about this issue.

I have an '11 Softail Dlx and I think they forgot to check at the 1000mi service. I took mine in at 3000mi, for a $50 oil change special, and they found all my rear spokes to be loose. My fronts are fine. Coming from a sportbike background I'm big into cornering and never noticed any handling issues. Maybe I'm just too smooth in my transitioning, eh? Had to go back in again after a few hundred more miles and have a couple retightened. I'm having them do it so it can be kept track of. They had even mentioned that if it kept up or was too bad they might just order a new wheel.

Oh, and on a side note, no spoke issues on my '07 KLR with 14,000mi including going over the Top of the World Hwy a dozen times.

Good luck, Mark H.
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote