Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 509 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #25636
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Be sure to rotate your tires front to back (rear wears faster), as well reverse the rotation (left side wears faster, due to crown in the road), to get the most mileage out of them.
Damn, I just never thought to do either of those things. Thanks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #25637
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Damn, I just never thought to do either of those things. Thanks

Get a few more miles out of the tires that way.

I noticed that the Schwalbe Marathons are directional, but I don't know if reversing the tread would have any major effect. I did the swap on my Gatorskins and damn near wrecked trying to stop fast. Once they're worn now, I just replace them.

But I've been able to extend the life on a many a set of Hutch's, Mich's and Conti race tires by swapping front to back and flipping the tire on the wheel.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #25638
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Be sure to rotate your tires front to back (rear wears faster), as well reverse the rotation (left side wears faster, due to crown in the road), to get the most mileage out of them.
Thank doG someone else has been thinking and not just parroting Sheldon's inaccurate advice.

Did 4:25 on the bike today. 2 assholes. Both in/near Warrenton. That last 90min was teh suck. Legs are VERY tired after the week I've had.

M
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #25639
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
tread on bicycle tires does zilch on the pavement. you don't need rain grooves with a skinny round profile tire, you aren't going to hydroplane.

heck, slicks even work pretty good on hardpack dirt. they only suck in soft or loose stuff.

so "directional" on bike tires, which are bias ply, is purely cosmetic.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #25640
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
tread on bicycle tires does zilch on the pavement. you don't need rain grooves with a skinny round profile tire, you aren't going to hydroplane.

heck, slicks even work pretty good on hardpack dirt. they only suck in soft or loose stuff.

so "directional" on bike tires, which are bias ply, is purely cosmetic.
About what I figured on the roadie.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #25641
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Thank doG someone else has been thinking and not just parroting Sheldon's inaccurate advice.

Did 4:25 on the bike today. 2 assholes. Both in/near Warrenton. That last 90min was teh suck. Legs are VERY tired after the week I've had.

M
Huh. Hadn't seen that particular Sheldon note. Linky if you're interested.

I'll just continue to ignore it.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #25642
pierce
Aven'Tourer

he's got a point., a front blowout at speed is skeeery, especially in a turn. I left quite a bit of road rash on Laureles Grade near Carmel Valley once when my front sew-up ("tubular" to you kids) came unglued at speed.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #25643
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,840
Quote:
("tubular" to you kids)
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #25644
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
No doubt. 35mm on a 14mm wheel? That's a LOT of sidewall bowing. Doesn't surprise me that it pinch-flatted like a mofo.
Actually that was on the 25's I run now. Had two rears and a front go out.

I guess a smoother ride with less pressure may not be a bad thing. Less pressure means less tire inflations, right?

I am pumping up tires every two to three days. When the LBS sold me the bike he said to fill it to max psi and run for two weeks when it drops to 80psi and refill. Two days drops 16psi.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #25645
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
he's got a point., a front blowout at speed is skeeery, especially in a turn. I left quite a bit of road rash on Laureles Grade near Carmel Valley once when my front sew-up ("tubular" to you kids) came unglued at speed.
Such an awesome road!

Do you live in the area? I bet that is biking heaven.

When I have been there it has always been for motorcycling and that is one of a couple of places in the US that immediately made me fall in love.

I remember spanking the heck out of a guy on a Road Star Warrior on my DR650 going down that road.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #25646
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Such an awesome road!

Do you live in the area? I bet that is biking heaven.

When I have been there it has always been for motorcycling and that is one of a couple of places in the US that immediately made me fall in love.

I remember spanking the heck out of a guy on a Road Star Warrior on my DR650 going down that road.
I lived in Pacific Grove, and Monterey from 1977 to 1987. been in Santa Cruz ever since. I was doing a lot more bicycling when I was down there (was in my mid 20s to early 30s).

re: tire inflations, unless you're running extra thin (or latex) inner tubes, your tires should hold air better than that, unless you have a pinhole leak or a leaky valve stem.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #25647
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,898
I had two flats the first time I rode my bike, one, then the other about 15 minutes later. I was about a quarter mile from a bike store, so I went and bought myself a tube, installed it, and kept riding.

The second flat tire inspired me to get a tougher tube, so when i walked into the bike store for the second time that's what I asked for. Something puncture resistant. He didn't have anything quite like what I asked for, but he had some cheap Chinese tubes that he stocked. Thick rubber. "Poor quality" he says.
I took one and rode my bike with no punctures for a week. I went back and got two more a week later. I also added Continental GatorSkin tires. That was ~5 years ago

I only just suffered my first flat tire last week.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #25648
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
I left quite a bit of road rash on Laureles Grade near Carmel Valley once when my front sew-up ("tubular" to you kids) came unglued at speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
heehee... got a good chuckle from these posts...

Finished 9th in the single speed category of my 35 mile P2P race this past Saturday. Had I not taken the last two weeks off of my cycling completely, I feel I could have finished much better. Considering the level of talent that showed up for the race, I'm happy with top ten.

I'm glad I decided to put the 20T cog on the rear!

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #25649
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
I'll grant you its scary. ...but its NOT an automatic crash like is implied.

AND

Think about it for a bit: where's the most weight on a bicycle? Over the rear wheel. Right?

Where's the majority of your flats? Betcha its the rear wheel again.

Why? Just like on the moto, the front tire kicks up whatever it is and the rear wheel rolls over it. S'why there's something like 70/30 rr/ft flats on both motos and bicycles. Maybe even 80/20.

So... while Sheldon was a fart smeller, there's some things he spouts off about (and people believe) that need thinking about to see whether he's talking out his ass or not.

I will say that if you wait too long and the rear tires seriously squared off, it get fun to turn in. Takes a little effort to get the tire off the square section and onto the side of the tread. AMHIK Is it dangerous? Not if you're a half decent bike handler.

M
Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #25650
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
How did you manage to display the image like that? Is it linked to Strava's website?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: