Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Bmw Motorcycle Nav 1 screen burn

Got a new to me bike and it has a bmw navigator 1 which seems to work just fine except for a giant color burn in the screen. I know this unit is old and stuff and ten people will tell me to buy a new one but since i have the nice tt mount for it and everything, i'd rather see if i could bring it back from the dead. Anyway to take the thing apart and fix it? What do I have to lose. (garmin won't fix it anymore, already checked)
mexipike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
a giant color burn in the screen.
Don't know what a "color burn" is, but mark me down at #1 - time to get a new GPS - unless you can find another similar unit, buy it cheap, and see if it is just a screen issue and you can swap them out and get it working again.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just picked up a street pilot iii on ebay for $40. It was the same model more or less as the bmw nav 1. I may try and swap screens when I get it. Are there any advantages to the nav 1 over the street pilot? Should I just forget about the bmw, mount the garmin and hit the road?

As a side note, I know these are ancient machines but I'm trying to decide if I really want to get into gps or not before I spend the dough for a nicer unit.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
I just picked up a street pilot iii on ebay for $40. It was the same model more or less as the bmw nav 1. I may try and swap screens when I get it. Are there any advantages to the nav 1 over the street pilot? Should I just forget about the bmw, mount the garmin and hit the road?

As a side note, I know these are ancient machines but I'm trying to decide if I really want to get into gps or not before I spend the dough for a nicer unit.
IIRC, the biggest difference between the BMW Navigators and the plain jane Garmin units is the built-in dealer database. The screen swap is actually very straightforward if you've got some technical savvy. You'll want to invest a couple dollars in a wrist strap and ESD mat - an errant static discharge can turn that marginal GPS into a very good paperweight.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
IIRC, the biggest difference between the BMW Navigators and the plain jane Garmin units is the built-in dealer database. The screen swap is actually very straightforward if you've got some technical savvy. You'll want to invest a couple dollars in a wrist strap and ESD mat - an errant static discharge can turn that marginal GPS into a very good paperweight.
I think I may just do the swap then when I get it. What's the procedure besides the wrist strap and esd mat. Just open it up unplug the screen and swap?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Went ahead and did the swap! simple and easy. Now I have a really old gps that works ok, and I have no idea how to connect to my mac but at least it's period correct!