Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #6076
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
So I decided to go ahead and pull the cylinder and check the rings. Good thing I did. The gap on the ring is supposed to be .8 mm on the compression rings and 1 mm on the oil ring. The top compression ring was 1.9 mm, the second comp ring was .85 mm, and the oil ring was 2.1 mm. Needless to say I'm waiting on a ring kit now.
Were you burning oil before this?
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #6077
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the Euro LED 690 tail light?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #6078
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the Euro LED 690 tail light?
Here you go 76514040000. If you need any other bits, check the fiche here
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #6079
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Were you burning oil before this?
Nope, not a drop which is why at first I wasn't going to bother pulling the cylinder. I figured since the base gasket was only $10 and I had it that far apart, may as well check it. Have to say I was shocked at how far out of spec they were and yet the bike ran good and didn't use oil.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #6080
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Nope, not a drop which is why at first I wasn't going to bother pulling the cylinder. I figured since the base gasket was only $10 and I had it that far apart, may as well check it. Have to say I was shocked at how far out of spec they were and yet the bike ran good and didn't use oil.
The 08 is running great but she is burning more oil. The '10 would use the extra .3L (left over from the oil change) once in the interval.
The 08 is burning about 2 times that. I don't see any blue smoke during cold start. It is a pita though. Might take a look into her in a few months.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #6081
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Here you go 76514040000. If you need any other bits, check the fiche here
Thank you sir!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #6082
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Checked the fuel flow...

Have an evening to get at er again...

Pulled the fuel line (Where it connects from the last hose, a black "elbow" held on by one screw)

Not sure what I'm to expect? Fuel flows, the pump pumps, I wouldn't call it "pressure", more like a garden hose? But volume is there. Does the pressure build up after that point? Or should it come screaming with pressure right from the tank?

I'm assuming the pump feed it through the hoses, and it'll build after the point I've inspected at...

Good news is I'll be a pro wrench by the time I get er going!

MFS
MFS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #6083
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFS View Post
Have an evening to get at er again...

Pulled the fuel line (Where it connects from the last hose, a black "elbow" held on by one screw)

Not sure what I'm to expect? Fuel flows, the pump pumps, I wouldn't call it "pressure", more like a garden hose? But volume is there. Does the pressure build up after that point? Or should it come screaming with pressure right from the tank?

I'm assuming the pump feed it through the hoses, and it'll build after the point I've inspected at...

Good news is I'll be a pro wrench by the time I get er going!

MFS

In the past, I've just stuck a cheapo pressure gauge screwed into a barb fitting and just turned the key on to see if pressure would build. The pump pumps to the reg and then the reg sends 54 psi to the injector and dumps the residual back to the tank. If you have a pressure gauge on the end, it will either make 54 psi or it won't. I think a 5/16" Barb will work but be sure to clamp it and wear safety goggles. 54 psi is a good amount to get in your eye.
Like this.....

1/4" Female X 5/16" Barb fitting....

Teflon tape.....

Clamps...

Good luck man!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #6084
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

That's awesome Crankshaft, thank you for the detailed response!

I just pulled what I'm guessing is called the injector? The final peice that heads into the intake.

Although my battery is running a bit low now, I don't believe fuel is shootting down? To calirfy...

Fuel line disconnected, turn key on, fuel flows. Hit start button and fuel flows. Reconnected fuel line.

Pulled the injector and turned key on again. Hit start button and the injector blew off into my jerry can, I didn't realize that was a possibility But was smart enough to aim it away into a gas can!

Reconnected the injector (orange 'O' ring on the end) and reconnected that to the engine. All hooked up, turn key, hit start, I do not see fuel shooting down? (I'm looking through where the air filter connects, assoming I would see it through there with the throttle open?)

Sooo, clogged injector? I am without "proper" cleaner to clean it this evening. To recap, symptoms were -stalling at idle, and within a day or too, not starting at all.

Think I'll pick up a new plug tomorrow, charge the battery overnight, and get the injector cleaned. Soak it in appropriate cleaner work? Or a better recommendation?

Thanks for the continued suggestions and advice guys, Hope y'all never get tired of passing info to folks like me, I hope to be in a postion to help someone the same way someday!

MFS
Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #6085
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
That's awesome Crankshaft, thank you for the detailed response!

I just pulled what I'm guessing is called the injector? The final peice that heads into the intake.

Although my battery is running a bit low now, I don't believe fuel is shootting down? To calirfy...

Fuel line disconnected, turn key on, fuel flows. Hit start button and fuel flows. Reconnected fuel line.

Pulled the injector and turned key on again. Hit start button and the injector blew off into my jerry can, I didn't realize that was a possibility But was smart enough to aim it away into a gas can!

Reconnected the injector (orange 'O' ring on the end) and reconnected that to the engine. All hooked up, turn key, hit start, I do not see fuel shooting down? (I'm looking through where the air filter connects, assoming I would see it through there with the throttle open?)

Sooo, clogged injector? I am without "proper" cleaner to clean it this evening. To recap, symptoms were -stalling at idle, and within a day or too, not starting at all.

Think I'll pick up a new plug tomorrow, charge the battery overnight, and get the injector cleaned. Soak it in appropriate cleaner work? Or a better recommendation?

Thanks for the continued suggestions and advice guys, Hope y'all never get tired of passing info to folks like me, I hope to be in a postion to help someone the same way someday!

MFS
I take my injectors to my local Moto shop and they toss them in the Ultra sonic cleaner. I ditched the quick disconnect and replaced it with a fuel filter, you might consider doing the same thing.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #6086
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

It LIVES!!!!

You tube, a wonderful thing!! A clip on there entitiled "How to clean KTM motorcycle fuel injector"
Was on a fuel injected 350, but a nice 1:30 video. Using 9 volt battery, opened the injector nozzle, then reverse-blew out the dirt particles with an air hose. Tried that, hooked it all back up and started right away! Scared the crap outta me

But, she did stall after a few minutes. But did restart, and then did re-stall again. So will re-clean the injector again, and trace back to the filter and clean out tank, get rid of any crap in there.

Many of my trouble shooting here, will just become such a part of my routine maintenance next year. Hoping that the cleaning gets it all running back on track. It stalling again is no good, but gotta be more crud in there I guess.

Will see tomorrow! And when I get a new filter also...

MFS
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #6087
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 747
Good outcome. As crank says above - replace the internal fuel filter with an external one. I fitted mine inline after the quick-connect. So much easier to swap out whenever you feel like it
Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #6088
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,036
Fueling issues

Over a year ago my 08 690 on occasions would stall & be a bit hard to restart . I replaced the fuel filter & fitted 1 of those screen filters to the top of the injector. I noticed the old fuel filter was full of black crap . First ride with the new filters I travelled about 100 kays & the bike would barely run . I removed the small screen filter from the injector & it was full of tiny black particles . I left the injector filter out & the bike ran ok again but I still had occasional stalling issues & the bike started to feel a bit doughy in the power department . In other words no improvement . The fuel pump always primed whenever the ignition was turned on . The bike seemed to get more doughy over time till it felt gutless . I pulled out the injector & back flushed it . Tiny little bits of black crap came out . Refitted the injector & went for a test ride . The bike felt a lot better for 20 minutes then went gutless again , reflushed the injector & more tiny bits of black crap came out .Refitted went for another test ride , went ok for 20 minutes , bike stops & wouldn`t restart . Got the bike home , back flushed injector again , more tiny bits of black crumbly stuff came out , refitted injector & bike still wouldn`t go . Turned out to be a fouled plug . On close examination of the plug I could see the spark arcing across to tiny small bits on the porcelain near the centre electrode . I then bought a fuel pressure gauge & tested . Only 25 psi pressure . I pulled the pump out & tested it in a bucket in case a hose was kinked or something . Still only 25 psi . I also noticed the recently fitted in tank fuel filter was again full of black crap . I replaced the fuel pump with a C.A. pump , replaced the injector & filter & refitted the little gauze filter to the top of the injector . The bike goes like a rocket again & hasn`t missed a beat for the last 5000km .
I have no doubt the black crap in the filter , injector & on the plug were bits of the brushes from the fuel pump .I know these tiny bits were getting through the standard tank filter over time & blocking the injector ( & tiny injector filter ) The original pump always primed & never needed a tap to get going yet in the end it would only pump half required pressure .
Note : When back flushing the injector I aimed it into a clean white tray & used a magnifying glass too see the black particles .

Brute screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 05:03 AM
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #6089
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,912
Just a side note. You don't need to build a fancy 9 volt battery thingy to cycle the injector you HAVE a very expensive injector cycler sitting in the garage, and it happens to be in an area where you're already working.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #6090
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
You tube, a wonderful thing!! A clip on there entitiled "How to clean KTM motorcycle fuel injector"
Was on a fuel injected 350, but a nice 1:30 video. Using 9 volt battery, opened the injector nozzle, then reverse-blew out the dirt particles with an air hose. Tried that, hooked it all back up and started right away! Scared the crap outta me
Gotta link to that video?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote