ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #2056
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer
 
BanjoBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Thanks,
I was thinking about breathable air space with this pattern.

I also didn't want big seams because I had a Corbin and the seams went right under my thighs, after awhile they felt like ropes.

I love my Russell, THE best money I've ever spent on a motorcycle,.....besides fuel.
Lookz like it'd be hard to "hang off" with a Russel?
__________________
2007 FJR1300
2007 FZ6 (Dirt bike)
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #2057
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
clocklaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Lookz like it'd be hard to "hang off" with a Russel?
I'm guessing it's a unique sensation.....but they seem to like it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I dunno who she is, but I'd pay a dollar to watch her eat a jar of mayonnaise.
2005 FJR1300 - "my Blue Angel"
My Twins are Twins!
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #2058
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues
 
richarddacat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: land of a new Rising Sun
Oddometer: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Lookz like it'd be hard to "hang off" with a Russel?
I made it through the Dragon without any problem, Not really a problem IMO. You can always strap the stock seat on the back and swap it out when you get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Thousands of pinholes for water to get through. I ordered mine with the half-moon stitching for precisely this reason. The least number of holes through the cover. Looks gooder to
I've been caught in two downpours, wearing an Aerostitch, and both me and the seat dried out with a problem. Didn't notice the seat suffered any more than I did. I never had it be wet after a washing either.

From the Russell site;

Rain covers are advised for all seat cover choices, including all vinyl, since the sewing machine needle holes render them less than 100% waterproof. Our rain covers are made from double coated nylon with little or no stitching except where the bungee cord is sewn into the perimeter. They are sized amply for a loose, wrinkle free fit.
__________________
* 05FJR/88K75c *
Middle Tennessee Tag Riders
Never run out of traction, real estate, and ideas at the same time.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #2059
bungie4
Frostback
 
bungie4's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Sudbury Ontario
Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
I've been caught in two downpours, wearing an Aerostitch, and both me and the seat dried out with a problem. Didn't notice the seat suffered any more than I did. I never had it be wet after a washing either.

From the Russell site;

Rain covers are advised for all seat cover choices, including all vinyl, since the sewing machine needle holes render them less than 100% waterproof. Our rain covers are made from double coated nylon with little or no stitching except where the bungee cord is sewn into the perimeter. They are sized amply for a loose, wrinkle free fit.
The ONLY time I'm uncomfortable on my Day Long is when the cover is on. Guess their something to be said for leathers ability to breath (I wear the same gear with liners in whether it's raining or not - It's not my gear making me uncomfortable).

Oh, speaking of gear, I wear Motoport Kevlar which is well known to be abrasive. It IS doing a number on the piping on my seat.

As far as hanging off with the Day Long, it's mostly an upper body thing. (From my Lee Parks class)
__________________
-Steve

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #2060
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer
 
BanjoBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 873


Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
The ONLY time I'm uncomfortable on my Day Long is when the cover is on. Guess their something to be said for leathers ability to breath (I wear the same gear with liners in whether it's raining or not - It's not my gear making me uncomfortable).

Oh, speaking of gear, I wear Motoport Kevlar which is well known to be abrasive. It IS doing a number on the piping on my seat.

As far as hanging off with the Day Long, it's mostly an upper body thing. (From my Lee Parks class)
__________________
2007 FJR1300
2007 FZ6 (Dirt bike)
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #2061
G.R.
Swimming Upstream!
 
G.R.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 60
Transylvania County

Here's a my ride from last Thursday in Western North Carolina.

Music (Artist / Track): Tremonti / Brains

Transylvania County - Motorcycle Ride from G.R. on Vimeo.

G.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #2062
bungie4
Frostback
 
bungie4's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Sudbury Ontario
Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R. View Post
Here's a my ride from last Thursday in Western North Carolina.
Another nice one Georgia Roller! You not even in the hunt for lame-ass videos!
__________________
-Steve

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #2063
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,493
So I am looking for a good sport-tourer.

I want:
- cruise at 85 mph with little wind buffeting and vibration
- 35-40 mpg
- hard luggage
- easy to do my own maintenance/farkle

I test rode a used FJR 1300 (about 25K miles) and a new Honda 2010 ST 1300. The ST was by far more comfortable, better throttle response, better wind protection, less vibration at 80-85 mph.

Is this the general consensus on comparing these two bikes? I am really looking for an Sport Tourer with long legs as I will be traveling frequently from TX to TN.

Most of my riding experience is off-road on KTMs, or on-road on a GS, and I would like to spend less than 10K.
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #2064
Jud
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jud's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: N.E. Ga. USA
Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
So I am looking for a good sport-tourer.

I want:
- cruise at 85 mph with little wind buffeting and vibration
- 35-40 mpg
- hard luggage
- easy to do my own maintenance/farkle

I test rode a used FJR 1300 (about 25K miles) and a new Honda 2010 ST 1300. The ST was by far more comfortable, better throttle response, better wind protection, less vibration at 80-85 mph.

Is this the general consensus on comparing these two bikes? I am really looking for an Sport Tourer with long legs as I will be traveling frequently from TX to TN.

Most of my riding experience is off-road on KTMs, or on-road on a GS, and I would like to spend less than 10K.
I personally belive the FJR is "comfy" enough while offering a more sporting ride. Others might like the more comfy ST. You will have to figure where your wants reside but honestly, I don't think you would go radically wrong with either one as both will match the "wants" you listed. Having rode both, the Honda is the smoother of the two but the rest of those wants are pretty much equal.
__________________
Pics- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...eon/?start=all
Places visited on two- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...0two%20wheels/
Endeavor to Persevere
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #2065
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
I test rode a used FJR 1300 (about 25K miles) and a new Honda 2010 ST 1300. The ST was by far more comfortable, better throttle response, better wind protection, less vibration at 80-85 mph.
Most comparison tests in the magazines rates these two bikes as six-for-one/half-dozen-for-the other. That doesn't mean any individual rider won't find one or the other much superior, but most riders consider these two bikes as pretty close in the things you mention, perhaps giving the nod to the Honda for comfort and the nod to the FJR for performance/handling. The Honda also has come under heavy criticism at times for high speed handling issues and blistering cockpit heat. The FJR mostly solved its heat problems with the 2006 revision. I thought the ST13 high-speed weave problem was internet legend until I rode two different examples a few years back - both had super-spooky handling above 100 mph. For this reason, I'd never own one.

The fact one bike had 25K and the other was new might have something to do with it too. I rented a 25K-mile FJR one time and found that it has much more vibration than my 20K FJR at home. Otherwise, it seemed the same, but the higher vibration levels really detracted from the ride.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #2066
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roadstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lancaster PA
Oddometer: 362
Had an FJR for 4 1/2 years , handle bar vibes were always there. How about an ST1100 ??
__________________
IBA # 47424
2012 Concours (Black)
76 Honda GL1000 (red & naked)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #2067
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
Had an FJR for 4 1/2 years , handle bar vibes were always there. How about an ST1100 ??
ST1100's have a gentle rumble, but like most V4's, it doesn't ever seem to intrude or get "gritty" like some inline-four vibes can get.

By today's standards, ST1100's are down on horsepower and have cumbersome handling, but for the five years I owned mine, I thought it was almost total perfection in a large sport-touring rig. The ST13's never appealed to me nearly as much.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #2068
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,159
A K75S fits all the requirements of HickonaCrick's criteria. Easy 40+ mpg at 80. I got (50-53 at 70+). Hard bags, ABS, decent wind protection, essentially zero vibration. Get the K75C bars, a new shock, fork springs, maybe a different seat and you're set. Easily saving $5k or more over to $10k budget. Caveat: Forget it if you're going to ride two up.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #2069
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roadstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lancaster PA
Oddometer: 362
north east ride to eat

Anyone here going on the ride to eat , in Bedford PA. See FJR forum for details.
__________________
IBA # 47424
2012 Concours (Black)
76 Honda GL1000 (red & naked)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #2070
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues
 
richarddacat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: land of a new Rising Sun
Oddometer: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
A K75S fits all the requirements of HickonaCrick's criteria. Easy 40+ mpg at 80. I got (50-53 at 70+). Hard bags, ABS, decent wind protection, essentially zero vibration. Get the K75C bars, a new shock, fork springs, maybe a different seat and you're set. Easily saving $5k or more over to $10k budget. Caveat: Forget it if you're going to ride two up.
+1 on the K75. A great bike for when the weather is too hot for the FJR.

This is my Dad's bike and I have the above listed additions you listed sitting in my garage along with the stock "C" model setup.

One day I'll talk him out of it.
(It's actually smoother than the FJR, just lacks the thrust of a jet fighter)

__________________
* 05FJR/88K75c *
Middle Tennessee Tag Riders
Never run out of traction, real estate, and ideas at the same time.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014