ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #13426
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasion View Post
still lost i pulled the carb back off my 96se today and cleaned it good
carefully reassembled everything

and still the same problem
just no top end power
it literally even in neutral feels like its got a rev limiter keeping it at 6-6.5 k u can pin the throttle and thats all it will rev to
i tried with tank cap removed, installed a clear fuel filter to check fuel flow and its staying full and flowing good, i tried without air filter no change, choke on or off same thing, only with it on get exhaust popping on top of it

brand new iridium ngk plug
carb cleanered everything completely removed everything and cleaned and sprayed out with compressed air
i thought it was my slide diaprahgm but i know its seated correctly used some shallac on it to be sure it stayed in place this time

im lost guys any idea's? its a totally stock bike with the stock jet sizes (both jets brand new)
hadnt ran in 3 years, and will only do 50mph grrrrrrr

It has to be something with your carb. What elevation are you running at?
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #13427
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasion View Post
still lost i pulled the carb back off my 96se today and cleaned it good
carefully reassembled everything

and still the same problem
just no top end power
it literally even in neutral feels like its got a rev limiter keeping it at 6-6.5 k u can pin the throttle and thats all it will rev to
i tried with tank cap removed, installed a clear fuel filter to check fuel flow and its staying full and flowing good, i tried without air filter no change, choke on or off same thing, only with it on get exhaust popping on top of it

brand new iridium ngk plug
carb cleanered everything completely removed everything and cleaned and sprayed out with compressed air
i thought it was my slide diaprahgm but i know its seated correctly used some shallac on it to be sure it stayed in place this time

im lost guys any idea's? its a totally stock bike with the stock jet sizes (both jets brand new)
hadnt ran in 3 years, and will only do 50mph grrrrrrr
Are you sure the slide diaphragm doesn't have any holes or splits in it?
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #13428
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,641
[QUOTE=MadChap;19878725]It wasn't really that hard to build them. I bought some steel tubing at Home Depot. Cut about a 4-5 inch circle out of some 1 inch plywood. Screwed the circle to my bench top, and put a lag bolt next to the circle to hold the tubing tight to the circle. Then simply bent the tubing until I had the shape I wanted. Didn't even have to heat up the tubing. Also bent the cross pieces to stand off from the side covers from the same material. Welded some 1 inch flat bar on the ends to mount under the fender and on the passenger foot peg. I should have used angle iron instead of flat bar. Used U-bolts (cut short) as tie points on to bottom outside corners.

I don't have a welder so a friend welded it up. Truly, it was an easy job that took about an afternoon once I had all the supplies.



Thanks for info! Looks great
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #13429
kaukasion
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 24
no holes or rips in the diaphragm i look at it over a light to see and took my time and made sure it was mounted with a good seal

it never bogs out if i ride at wide open so im thinking its not running way rich or anything, and it doesnt appear to be running lean because i dont get surging

also how many turns out should the idle mix screw be? i have it at two and it starts and idles fine till it warms up then it wants to drop and bog till it dies and im thinking i have it too rich maybe?

this is frustrating the crap outta me because this is the third time ive had this thing apart and im running out of idea's on what it could be and im relying on this bike as my only means of transportation to get to work right now :( ive hit a tough spot financially and dumping money into this thing like a pit is killing my savings for a car as well


elevation is around 100 above sea level
kaukasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #13430
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,610
DR350 carbs are either BST33 or TM33's. 33 is 33millimeters. Where?

THere was a write up, on here, max or TT, I can't remember or find it now. It compared the two carbs and had measurements of the bores and outside of the intake side, etc. Anyone have a link.

I have a BST (CV) carb that I hope is a 31mm, for a DR250. Don't know how to check unless I pull my carb which I DO NOT want to do jsut to take a measurement .

If anyone has a link to that write up that would be AWESOME!!
__________________
94 DR 350 SE
No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #13431
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasion View Post
no holes or rips in the diaphragm i look at it over a light to see and took my time and made sure it was mounted with a good seal

it never bogs out if i ride at wide open so im thinking its not running way rich or anything, and it doesnt appear to be running lean because i dont get surging

also how many turns out should the idle mix screw be? i have it at two and it starts and idles fine till it warms up then it wants to drop and bog till it dies and im thinking i have it too rich maybe?

this is frustrating the crap outta me because this is the third time ive had this thing apart and im running out of idea's on what it could be and im relying on this bike as my only means of transportation to get to work right now :( ive hit a tough spot financially and dumping money into this thing like a pit is killing my savings for a car as well


elevation is around 100 above sea level
What is (are) the exact throttle position(s) during which the symptoms occur?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #13432
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,831
I don't have a manual. Does anybody have information on quantity and weight for fork oil for a '97 DR350SE?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #13433
kaukasion
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
What is (are) the exact throttle position(s) during which the symptoms occur?

Regards,

Derek
wide open throttle, bike seems to run great in all midrange and pulls well, just will not rev past 6k and in 5th 6th gear doesnt have the power to even pull them out to 6k and im having some idle issues but im sure i just have mixture screw wrong but i have the extended one so i need to tweak it
kaukasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #13434
tonusmaximus
maximus
 
tonusmaximus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: nky
Oddometer: 434
Quote:
I don't have a manual. Does anybody have information on quantity and weight for fork oil for a '97 DR350SE?
front fork oil type Fork Oil SS05
front fork oil capacity (each leg) *495 ml (16.7/17.4 US/Imp oz)


Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #13435
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasion View Post
wide open throttle, bike seems to run great in all midrange and pulls well, just will not rev past 6k and in 5th 6th gear doesnt have the power to even pull them out to 6k and im having some idle issues but im sure i just have mixture screw wrong but i have the extended one so i need to tweak it
In a previous post you said that "it never bogs out if i ride at wide open". Which is it?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #13436
tonusmaximus
maximus
 
tonusmaximus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: nky
Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonusmaximus View Post
front fork oil type Fork Oil SS05
front fork oil capacity (each leg) *495 ml (16.7/17.4 US/Imp oz)


Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
10 weight is what manual calls for

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #13437
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonusmaximus View Post
front fork oil type Fork Oil SS05
front fork oil capacity (each leg) *495 ml (16.7/17.4 US/Imp oz)


Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonusmaximus View Post
10 weight is what manual calls for

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the information.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #13438
kaukasion
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
In a previous post you said that "it never bogs out if i ride at wide open". Which is it?

Regards,

Derek
i mean that it doesnt feel like its running rich and going to foul the plug at wot
but it doesnt seem to be running lean either it just seems to have no more power at wot as it does at high mid throttle
its the strangest thing but with this being stock and a brand new main jet that is stock size im just scratching my head at this point, im missing 20mph and cant find it, it really feels like maybe the slide cannot come all the way up or something, but when i look it over it appears nothing is wrong with it
kaukasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #13439
kenaroo
I am because i ride
 
kenaroo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Austin Tejas
Oddometer: 813
Hey guys.. I have a. Boxed in swing arm and a race tech shock that I never installed on my dr350 before I sold it.. If anyone is interested pm me.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com


kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #13440
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasion View Post
i mean that it doesnt feel like its running rich and going to foul the plug at wot
but it doesnt seem to be running lean either it just seems to have no more power at wot as it does at high mid throttle
its the strangest thing but with this being stock and a brand new main jet that is stock size im just scratching my head at this point, im missing 20mph and cant find it, it really feels like maybe the slide cannot come all the way up or something, but when i look it over it appears nothing is wrong with it
Does the problem change relative to engine temperature?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014