Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #91
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
I'm up for a ride if u wanna do it. Let me know where u wanted to head towards ?
9am Dragon Mart petrol station, wadi drive toward Fujairah bypass. Landie dude doing the mapping...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #92
Bulbirra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hi,

I've got a 990 adventure, live in Dubai. This is my email bulbirra@gmail.com

Cheers

Brett
Bulbirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #93
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbirra View Post
Hi,

I've got a 990 adventure, live in Dubai. This is my email bulbirra@gmail.com

Cheers

Brett

Welcome Brett. Watch this space for our next ride plan.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #94
Cota Kid
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi Vicks

I have just finished working in Qatar and am heading back to Abu Dhabi in the next week, my KTM's 990 Adv and 530 EXC - F will follow. So i am more than up for some adventure riding.

Last year, at Eid, a group of use rode from Qatar to Oman and had a great time, not as much off road riding as i would have liked but still fun. Unfortunately i don't think my bikes will arrive by this coming Eid.

Dom
Cota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #95
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cota Kid View Post
Hi Vicks

I have just finished working in Qatar and am heading back to Abu Dhabi in the next week, my KTM's 990 Adv and 530 EXC - F will follow. So i am more than up for some adventure riding.

Last year, at Eid, a group of use rode from Qatar to Oman and had a great time, not as much off road riding as i would have liked but still fun. Unfortunately i don't think my bikes will arrive by this coming Eid.

Dom
Awesome !!! More Advriders in Abu Dhabi !!!

Do drop a msg when u land up here and we'll keep you posted on any ride plans.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #96
Cota Kid
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Will do. Looking forward to seeing more of the UAE, Qatar is a little limited for big adventure bikes.
Cota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #97
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

just 2 weekends ago we did a nice wadi ride and although challenging on a big bike, it was fun. Cooler weather defn helps .
Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #98
DXB-Riding
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Bluhduh Time flyes...

Quote:
Ahlan.....

did you say 660RR ???

pls post pics.

i'd love to meet up and admire your beauty/beast
Marhaba Vicks

Have been offline for a while, but bike season is here, and now I have the F800 at home. So im game for a trip or two.

KTM660/690RR (factory engine) have blown a gasket or something, so needs to go to the shop to be taken care of. It's such a nice and iconic bike, but like most purpose build race machines, it is way to temperamental if you don't have your own workshop.

So bought the GS for stability. And keep the KTM just for the joy of looking at it and knowing its mine

See ya
DXB-Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #99
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXB-Riding View Post
Marhaba Vicks

Have been offline for a while, but bike season is here, and now I have the F800 at home. So im game for a trip or two.

KTM660/690RR (factory engine) have blown a gasket or something, so needs to go to the shop to be taken care of. It's such a nice and iconic bike, but like most purpose build race machines, it is way to temperamental if you don't have your own workshop.

So bought the GS for stability. And keep the KTM just for the joy of looking at it and knowing its mine

See ya
good to hear from you.

So, who's up for a multiday ride during Eid ? I prefer a dual sport ride, preferably Jebel shams / akhdar area in Oman. Nice mountains, wadis and cool weather. Leave on 25th, Camp out for 1-2 nights and return by 27th or 28th Oct.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #100
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Dual sport ride - Jebel Akhdar, Oman

Quote:
So, who's up for a multiday ride during Eid ? I prefer a dual sport ride, preferably Jebel shams / akhdar area in Oman. Nice mountains, wadis and cool weather. Leave on 25th, Camp out for 1-2 nights and return by 27th or 28th Oct.
OK so here's the route plan.

Blue = Tarmac
Orange = Off-road (graded tracks, wadis, river beds)

The ride involves a long boring tarmac section from Abu-dhabi / Dubai => Al-Ain => Ibri which is approx 300kms. And then the fun starts when we leave tarmac at Ibri. From here we head north towards Rustaq with a short tarmac section thrown in. Although i dont have a camping spot identified yet, it shouldn't be too difficult to find one. The weather is supposed to be cool at the higher altitudes (1000mtrs approx). In case camping out is not preferred, there is a rest house. I'm not sure of the availability or conditions at the rest house but dont expect it to be multi star accommodation We are supposed to drop by at the ancient bee hive tombs at "Bat" and wadi "Damm" on the way.

From Rustaq, we fuel up if required and head south towards Tanuf via "Umq" and "Hat", the twisty tracks take us to almost 2000mtrs while crossing the Jebel Akhdar mountain range. The tracks will be twisty with steep cliffs and drops on one side on this section. Once we hit Tanuf, it will be the end of the off-road section and we reach the tarmac road to bring us back to Al-ain via Ibri. There are no schedules for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We eat when we want to and when we find food.

Knobbies are good, but dual sport tyres are better considering the long tarmac sections. A puncture kit including tyre levers is highly recommended as is atleast 1 spare tube.

I have done part of this section earlier and it involves steep switch backs so this ride is not for dirt noobs although you are welcome to give it a go if you want to. And then there is a large section of the off-road route which i havent done so i can't comment on the difficulty level.

This ride needs two days and a night. I'm up for it any two days during the coming Eid holidays (25-28Oct).

Let me know who's in ?

cheers

Vicks screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 12:27 AM
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #101
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Sounds awesome...not sure I can make it...will confirm ASAP...
Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #102
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Hi Vicks
cant join you unfortunately have to work and then off to the states for 9 days
Couldnt open your map in google earth to have a closer look but if you are camping take a mossie net if you havent got a good tent...the blood suckers will eat you alive..
have a look at the dirt via bilad sayt 2311'29.81"N 5723'47.75"E. great off road riding but only for the advanced riders, and then can be challenging

dont know how to put a route or map on here,,if you can help with that i can put a good route on that is a challeging ride but great

just home from 3 month european ride 14908 klms
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #103
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
have a look at the dirt via bilad sayt 2311'29.81"N 5723'47.75"E. great off road riding but only for the advanced riders, and then can be challenging
thats exactly where we will be riding on day 2 !!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #104
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Go light on the gear you carry on that road.
Hotta cave is worth a look if you have the time
and the road to Yasab is great too
HAVE FUN
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #105
mother77
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Sorry to butt in to the thread. Sounds like you are doing Wadi Bani Awf. Excellent fun. I have only done it in a 4x4 myself, but just potentially watch out for lots of traffic this weekend. There are a couple of serviced campgrounds on top of Jebel Shams if you are looking for somewhere cool to rest you heads. Also a nice rock ledge looking over the gorge if you like a firm bed, and don't sleep walk.
Two things have made me take notice and post after a too long absence from both the forum and bikes. One is that there looks like there are a couple of Adv riders in Muscat. I saw a KTM950/990 down on Qurum corniche a few weeks ago. First i've seen in the country in 2 years. Was that any of you guys?
Second, I've seen ride report photos and heard rumors that show there is at least one HP2 in the UAE. Does any one know if there is one for sale , or if there are any KTM 950SE about? As has already been pointed out there are not a lot of bikes about here in Oman. Let alone dream rides.
Sorry. Back to your thread. Let me know if there is a more appropriate place to post these queries, or if you have a GCC riders group. Now my account's active again i'll have a look at the other threads too.

Cheers
Mike
(bikeless at the mo )
mother77 is offline   Reply With Quote