User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #46
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Considering buying one as well

I am a medium in most helmets (Arai Profile, Shark RSX) and I would say a Medium HJC is a little big on me, a Scorpion EX400 a little snug. For those who have tried these on, would a medium be too small in your opinion?
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #47
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 112
I've done some digging, thanks to the tip earlier about them being made by MHR Helmets. It looks like the actual MHR/LS2 branded helmets have a quick release buckle like what you get with AFX's version of the FX-39DS. http://www.mhrhelmet.com/products.as...38&ClassID=110
$135 w/ free shipping isn't that much more. I really love the quick release on my AFX.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #48
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
I've done some digging, thanks to the tip earlier about them being made by MHR Helmets. It looks like the actual MHR/LS2 branded helmets have a quick release buckle like what you get with AFX's version of the FX-39DS. http://www.mhrhelmet.com/products.as...38&ClassID=110
$135 w/ free shipping isn't that much more. I really love the quick release on my AFX.
But if you purchase it from them, are these DOT approved?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #49
G19Tony OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
I am a medium in most helmets (Arai Profile, Shark RSX) and I would say a Medium HJC is a little big on me, a Scorpion EX400 a little snug. For those who have tried these on, would a medium be too small in your opinion?
I wear a medium also. My medium HJC's fit perfect. My Bilt is a medium and it fits well also. I tried a small and it worked, but it was bit too snug for my taste.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #50
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 112
I'm waiting for a follow up answer on the DOT approval, but Jason Zou via AliExpress, but I did get some pictures from him showing that it does have a ratcheting chin strap (exactly the same as that on the AFX FX-39DS) and also a pump to inflate/deflate the cheek pads. I don't see the open/close switch for the front mouth/intake vents not that those do anything without a chin curtain in place.

I'll probably order one up as soon as I get a confirmation on the DOT sticker. I wish they came in better color/graphic options. I've already got 2 matte black DS helmets.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #51
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Just ordered a BiLT helmet

Report to follow!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #52
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I saw these Sat at my local CG and tried to try on my normal XL size. No go, even the XXL was way too tight. Could not find a XXXL to try on. The main thing I liked about it was the flip down tinted visor.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #53
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
But if you purchase it from them, are these DOT approved?
I asked that question in the LS2 thread in vendors (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835722). Here is the response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 helmet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
Hello,

Thank you for posting. Are your helmets DOT certified to be worn legally in the US?

Thank you!
In the United States have LS2 brand dealers, so our LS2 helmet can't stick the DOT certification.
So sounds like no, but I really have no idea what he said.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #54
rick505
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I saw these Sat at my local CG and tried to try on my normal XL size. No go, even the XXL was way too tight. Could not find a XXXL to try on. The main thing I liked about it was the flip down tinted visor.
I just picked one up earlier today. Tried on the XXL yesterday since my Fulmer D4 is the same size. Seemed to fit fine but I didn't pull the trigger then. I don't have much experience with helmets so after remembering to confirm the inner shield would work with my eye glasses I decided to get one. Now off to get some sort of reflective sticker to cover the BILT label on the back (actually I'm not a brand snob) since I like to add reflective stuff to helmets. I'm off for a longer ride Saturday so I'll put it to the test.

Rick
rick505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #55
JZH
Global Bodger

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
I asked that question in the LS2 thread in vendors (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835722). Here is the response:

In the United States have LS2 brand dealers, so our LS2 helmet can't stick the DOT certification.

So sounds like no, but I really have no idea what he said.
Yep, that's Chinglish for ya... English is actually an official language here in Hong Kong, but given that the people in government only speak Chinglish, this can lead to some confusion.

FWIW, the DOT doesn't "approve" anything. If a manufacturer believes its products meet the appropriate DOT standard (generally this involves having them tested by an independent laboratory), then it is allowed to sell its products with the "DOT" sticker attached. Some quotes about that here.

So, if they're unwilling to label their helmets "DOT", those helmets must be somehow different from the similar-looking ones that have been tested (hopefully!) and found to be in compliance with the DOT standard. The non-DOT ones may be no worse than the others, but you just won't know.

Ciao,
RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR444RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR837FP; VFR800FiY-SC; ST1300A4...
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #56
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZH View Post
Yep, that's Chinglish for ya... English is actually an official language here in Hong Kong, but given that the people in government only speak Chinglish, this can lead to some confusion.

FWIW, the DOT doesn't "approve" anything. If a manufacturer believes its products meet the appropriate DOT standard (generally this involves having them tested by an independent laboratory), then it is allowed to sell its products with the "DOT" sticker attached. Some quotes about that here.,
Thanks for the DOT run down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZH View Post
So, if they're unwilling to label their helmets "DOT", those helmets must be somehow different from the similar-looking ones that have been tested (hopefully!) and found to be in compliance with the DOT standard. The non-DOT ones may be no worse than the others, but you just won't know.
It also means that the non-DOT ones aren't legal in the US, unfortunately...
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #57
Kidder
Poser

Oddometer: 493
I bought one of these today. I normally wear a medium (Scorpion EXO700 and Shoei X-11) but I needed a large in this one. I was actually between sizes and went with the slightly roomier one. It fit comfortably. I will give a review once I can wear it for a few rides. I've never had a DS helmet so we shall see. For $99+tax I figured it was worth a try. More to follow.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #58
Scorch_TX
Suzuki disciple

Oddometer: 95
I got one of these last week; honestly, after trying it on, it fit so remarkably well, I wanted it. I know that there are different head shapes and that makes a big difference between helmets. I usually wear an HJC FS3 Large and I also have an RF1100 Shoei Large for colder weather, they fit very nicely. The Bilt Explorer helmet is a Large, and it feels different and better--it just seems to snugly touch all around my head. Hard to explain but I love it as soon as I tried it. The visors seem to work smoothly and are distortion free. I rode the bike 275 miles this weekend with the helmet and I'm really happy with it.

Disclaimer: I actually work at Cycle Gear one day a week and I try on lots of helmets. Don't want to sound like an advertisement, but I am pretty happy with this helmet. I do not make a habit of posting raves about their Bilt products or anything. Most of the Bilt stuff is budget gear, not bad for the price and good value. But the Explorer helmet is really nice. They got this right.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #59
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
got mine today fits like a glove visor seals better than most of my other helmets wish I knew why they didnt put a tab on the visor other that it seems great for the cost
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #60
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
Can you tell if the foam around the bottom of the chin is glued to the outer shell, or would it be possible to slip a chin skirt in.
Getting the face shield on my AFX-39DS closed properly is becoming an issue (2 years of wear & tear and a few face shield swaps on the stock pivots). I hate to give up the quick release chin strap, but an internal flip down tinted shield would be a huge improvement (vs. tinted shield and carrying clear goggles). I'm still hoping that someone comes out with a better quality (than Bilt or AFX) version in the sub-$300 range. Cyclegear's latest email shows the helmet as being $99 right now so it's awfully tempting to pick one up.
I just got a new FX39 yesterday after being in a crash with my old one a week ago. They have re-shaped the face-shield so that it fits better to the lower "snout' at the contact line. There are also 2 places now to pull the shield up (protrusions/handles). I actually despise the chin strap on the 39 as it hits my chin in a bad spot and bottoms out before you get it really tight enough. But, it must work, as my helmet stayed on in the crash and did it's job. Note that I bought a second one.
One further thing about Bilt products. You really are hit/miss on their products. I really like the Typhoon jacket they sell but the gloves and socks I got by them were junk. I end up with all kinds of gear from different mfgrs as to what I like.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote