Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #13771
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Any tall riders out there fit a taller set of handlebars on their Alp? I know Ladder's lowered his pegs, but I kind of like where they are but am still hanging on while standing because the bars are just too low and close to my body. Been wondering about my options lately.

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #13772
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Waffles View Post
Any tall riders out there fit a taller set of handlebars on their Alp? I know Ladder's lowered his pegs, but I kind of like where they are but am still hanging on while standing because the bars are just too low and close to my body. Been wondering about my options lately.
The PO fitted these to the bike, which I quite liked. I was always comfortable standing on the bike, though I'm only 5'10" so I'm not a tall rider.

I believe they are "Renthal 110cc Playbike" Bars, but there are ATV bars that have about the same dimensions.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #13773
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by potski View Post
Hey Csustewy..can't you take a hint.. .How about we see that superb photo on "Show us your best Transalp photos" below

Ride safe

Cheers
Potski
Ha! I respond best to these 'subtle' hints... Thanks for the reminder.

Take care, my friend.
Mike
csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #13774
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
Hi guys,

I need a few suggestions on a new rear tire for my '99 Alp. Currently it has Anakees on it and they're fine for commuting, but when it comes to riding loaded on a trip, they seem to wear pretty easily, especially in the rear. My last rear tire did 8000km of which 3500 were loaded, and it was worn right down to the legal limit.

With my upcoming 7000km trip this summer, I'm looking for a better option. Anyone got ideas?
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #13775
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Hi guys,

I need a few suggestions on a new rear tire for my '99 Alp. Currently it has Anakees on it and they're fine for commuting, but when it comes to riding loaded on a trip, they seem to wear pretty easily, especially in the rear. My last rear tire did 8000km of which 3500 were loaded, and it was worn right down to the legal limit.

With my upcoming 7000km trip this summer, I'm looking for a better option. Anyone got ideas?
I've gotten great mileage out of Tourances. I never ran them on the Transalp, but my strom got 10,000 miles out of the last rear.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #13776
ferretface
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I've gotten great mileage out of Tourances. I never ran them on the Transalp, but my strom got 10,000 miles out of the last rear.
I've just moved from Anakee's to Tourances and gotta admit that I prefer the handling of the Anakee's on the Transalp. With the Tourances, the tracking on rain grooves seems really noticeable but the wear rate is brilliant after running them for 5000kms and still less than half worn.

http://heyivegotanidea.wordpress.com/
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #13777
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Hi guys,

Avon Distanza great tire

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #13778
thepoddo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Be careful riding the Tourances, they use a really hard compound which means they won't wear as fast, but once you reach 50% they tend to become extremely slippery especially in colder wetter climates

I had them and switched to michelin sirac before even reaching 70%
thepoddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #13779
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
Thanks a bunch guys
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #13780
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,056
Latest version of my Alp,

Somewhere on the trails near Cap Gris Nez, France. You can see the UK at the horizon.

Yep; this is the same bike, back in 2008

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #13781
Bossit
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Rear shock and mudguard

Hi there,

I'm rebuilding a Transalp 600. Already putted a nice WP USD front in but can't find anything to put in the back. As i want the bike higher then original. I also look for another rear mudguard. Can anyone help me out? Especialy with the rear shock absorber.
@Blackbert: I see you've changed some stuff as well. Did you put another rear shock? And what kind of mudguard didi you use there?

Thanks!

Bossit. :-)
Bossit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #13782
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Bossit,

Front is a XR600 fork, with stiffer Wilbers-springs, the rear end is supported by a Wilbers shock, longer than stock to level the bike out. All inspired by the guys here.
The rear mudguard, like the rad shrouds and headlight housing, is home-made from a 3mm sheet of Kydex.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #13783
Daveski
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Bossit,

I also fitted WP forks to mine - P.889. I was deciding on what to do to balance up the geometry as the WP fork legs from a 640 Adv were just over 50mm longer than the standard TA ones. There are 3 good options:

- Spacer on standard TA shock - quite a few folk have done this on here using 30mm I think - you can find it looking back the ways
- Wilbers rear shock is a good suggestion, as they are made to measure to you could get the 30mm (or whatever) built into a new shock over the standard length (375mm eye to eye on standard PD10)
- Fit an Africa Twin complete rear end and shock from a RD03 or RD04 - both raise the back of the TA as they have longer swingarms and I think different leaverage ratios to the TA. I fitted the RD04 to mine as the swing arm is the longest and raises the rear 1.5 inches (ah, metric or imperial - I use both! about 38mm) from memory. The RD04 shock is also 375mm. Given the headangle - this seems to balance up the WP fork very well, and the bike rides great.

I like the idea that fitting the AT rear gives more travel and increases rear ride height, rather than just increasing height by using a spacer. A longer wilbers shock should also give more travel to complement the front presuming the extra length is built into the stroke. I'm not sure if there are any issues with the chain tension by using longer rear shock or spacer on a standard TA swingarm - but I'm sure someone on here will know!

Anyhow, you have options...

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossit View Post
Hi there,

I'm rebuilding a Transalp 600. Already putted a nice WP USD front in but can't find anything to put in the back. As i want the bike higher then original. I also look for another rear mudguard. Can anyone help me out? Especialy with the rear shock absorber.
@Blackbert: I see you've changed some stuff as well. Did you put another rear shock? And what kind of mudguard didi you use there?

Thanks!

Bossit. :-)
Daveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #13784
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Avon Distanza great tire
+1 Distanzia's are great.

I ran a Kenda 761 rear after the Distanzia's - very affordable and good life (~6500 miles of 2up touring), but not great in rain/wet. The Shinko 705 front was even worse (but some people are fine with it, I never found confidence in it). I would fork out for the Distanzia's.

Also, Metzeler Sahara 3 front has great traction on and off road, tons of confidence, but very short life (~7500 miles to scary limit).
csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #13785
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

raising the rear

I don't remember the numbers, but the maximum with stock TA swingarm and linkage is dictated by the space where the shock goes between the swingarm and the linkage (hope that makes any sense). At a certain angle, the swingarm 'bridge' touches the spring. You can't raise the rear more than that. My wilbers shock has the extra lenght in travel, not just as a 'spacer' at the bottom. The only thing you need to watch is the wear of the chainguide on top of the swingarm. If the chain is set correctly with stock suspension, it will have a little more slack when the bike sits higher. No problems there.