User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Discojon75 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Evil scooter plans for my nephew...

Ok, so my nephew lives in the Pacific Northwest. He's 22, unemployed, no college, no drivers license (never bothered getting it), and doesn't know how to drive a car. He's got no real ambition or direction in life but he's up for all kinds of adventures.

Here's my plan...

Step 1) Purchase a "starter" scoot. I'm thinking something 250CC or less, probably in the 125-150 range. Ideally it will be used and cheap. I recently bought a salvage Yam Majesty but I think that may be too much bike for him initially. (Did those words really just come out of my mouth?) Ideally I'm thinking fuel injected if possible because he knows very little about maintenance.

Step 2) Buy ticket for him, fly him out. I told him to get his beginner's permit before he comes. He's willing to do that. I mean, it's just a test right? Hell, I'll even pay for that. I'm thinking next summer timeframe.

Step 3) Put him through the MSF locally.

Step 4) Take him on a scooter ride. We'll spend 3-4 days on the road together, maybe cruising up to Colorado.

Step 5) Turn him loose. Around day 4 on the road with him and once I'm comfortable he knows what he's doing, my plan is to hand him $500, the title, 6 months of insurance on the scooter and say "so long!" It shouldn't take him TOO long to get back to Oregon right? He's got a cell phone and can always buy a bus ticket if things go wrong.

Thoughts? Scooter recommendations? I considered a 49CC but it would take just too long for him to get back to Oregon on it plus there's a bit more safety, IMO, in a bike that can cruise at highway speeds instead of just city speeds. He's sort of tall... if I could find/rebuild a salvage SH150i that would probably be perfect or maybe a PCX or Zuma 125?
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Honda Helix, Honda Elite 250, or a Yamaha Riva 180 or 200....nice 80's machines that should run forever once properly sorted and parts should be available.

Sounds like quite an adventure!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Discojon75 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Did I mention he has zero mechanical ability?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
None of my business, but from your description of him, I wouldn't waste my time and money. I've known a few guys like that, they usually get it eventually. I learned to both drive and ride before age 10, got both my drivers license and motorcycle endorsement on my 16th birthday, worked on the farm from age 5, bought my first dirt bike with my own money at age 8, and have been continuously employed since age 18. I did mess up a little bit in high school, hung out with the wrong "friends", and let my grades drop. I still got my diploma, just a couple months late, and had a job 2 days later. I had no choice. I had rent and car payments to make, clothes and food to buy, and would have been on the street real quick without getting a job. I lost the part time job I had when I bought the car when the guys running the place, an auto body shop, all got arrested for selling stolen car parts. My dad made the payments on it till I could get my diploma, and I paid him back, every penny.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,581
I don't get what fuel injection has to due with maintenance. I understand the advantages of fuel injection but how much maintenance a scooter requires has nothing to due with whether it has FI or carbs. What's more important is the interval between oil changes, belt changes, valve adjustments, etc. Ideally what he needs is a cheap, simple to work on scooter that needs a lot of maintenance. Then maybe he'll get off his lazy ass and learn how to work on it. I'm sure you can pick up a cheap China scoot with a GY6 for next to nothing. For a little more you can get him a cheap Chinese tool kit so he won't have any excuses for not working on it.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 05:07 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Oh, geez...I've been in your position, and have done pretty much what you propose doing for a similarly-unmotivated, unaware, aimless young relative, and IMHO and experience, it ain't gonna work.

First, going anywhere and relying to any degree on a scooter or motorcycle is directly analogous to traveling on hoseback: Job One is to see to the mount, its care and well-being. A person with no track record for personal responsibility, no matter how likable, will not be able to do it.

Secondly, dropping a bagfull of "gifts" - tickets, scooter, training courses, travel subsidy, etc., - on a young person who has shown no inclination or interest in caring for and developing himself is only going to enable him in his unproductivity, as I found out for myself. The motivation, the sense of responsibility have to come first, else your 'gifts' are soon squandered and abandoned.

It's a tough situation and hard for families to know what to do - there seem to be more kids out there than ever before who are drifting, afflicted with aimlessness, unconcermed, relying on luck and the good will of others to get by. Simply giving them things and money does not help, and can indeed make things worse. Wish I had something more postive to suggest; I don't think your generosity is going to help this kid.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I don't get what fuel injection has to due with maintenance. I understand the advantages of fuel injection but how much maintenance a scooter requires has nothing to due with whether it has FI or carbs. What's more important is the interval between oil changes, belt changes, valve adjustments, etc. Ideally what he needs is a cheap, simple to work on scooter that needs a lot of maintenance. Then maybe he'll get off his lazy ass and learn how to work on it. I'm sure you can pick up a cheap China scoot with a GY6 for next to nothing. For a little more you can get him a cheap Chinese tool kit so he won't have any excuses for not working on it.
yeah my Agility went 10,000 miles with zero maintenance 'cept for oil changes (engine / gear), air filter cleaning, and um....thats it. tires. ran and runs like a top. and this guy doesn't sound like he is going to ride as much. so fuel injection or no a scooter is a scooter is a scooter. just start with a decent one and it should be ok, op

Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto View Post
First, going anywhere and relying to any degree on a scooter or motorcycle is directly analogous to traveling on hoseback: Job One is to see to the mount, its care and well-being. A person with no track record for personal responsibility, no matter how likable, will not be able to do it..
its not a matter of having a track record of doing or having anything to do with character or personal responsibility. but you do have to want to ride. thats about it, though

Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
its not a matter of having a track record of doing or having anything to do with character or personal responsibility. but you do have to want to ride. thats about it, though

Hah, hah...the Mongols...not exactly solid citizens, but you make a good point.

My point is that the Mongols are if nothing else motivated to ride, and riding takes maintenance. Whatever else they are or are not, 1%ers do spend time wrenching.

I truly hope this plan works out well for the OP and his nephew; that the lad rises to the occasion, and that caring for a scoot springboards him into caring about his life.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

^ yeah i get your point, too. just being a bit tongue in cheek this morning

everyone ride safe and have a good one. and much luck to op and his nephew. if nothing more perhaps 30 years from now they will have a bit of a laugh about it....

".....hey, remember that time you bought me that scooter, uncle?"

"do i? how could i forget!"

sounds like good times, to me
Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 148
If you have the money to spare Jon sounds like a plan. A real nice gesture and one that could yield a lot of memories. That said, I think a lot of the guys are right...your nephew has to WANT to get motivated and on with his life...
Doesn't sound like he is there yet. Throwing money at the situation might just enable him to do less for longer... Just my two cents.
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Take him to "under a bridge" and leave him there. Never mind of scooter, ticket to fly and sheit. Tell him to go home or come to you on his own, then you may start something with him together.

I think you are wanting to do it for your sake.

I wish I had a rich uncle like that.
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Discojon75 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck21 View Post
If you have the money to spare Jon sounds like a plan. A real nice gesture and one that could yield a lot of memories. That said, I think a lot of the guys are right...your nephew has to WANT to get motivated and on with his life...
Doesn't sound like he is there yet. Throwing money at the situation might just enable him to do less for longer... Just my two cents.
He's been "Liking" every post I put on facebook about my bikes and scooters and when I told him he needed to get his Beginner's Permit he said "No Problem!" I would definitely have him help me change the oil and air filter before he left. He's had jobs before and when he has them, he works hard. He's been applying to Wal-Mart and other places, but without transportation, let's be honest, his options are limited.

There is a guy with a GS500 for sale in my town. That might also be an option. My only thoughts were the utility and comfort of scooters might be better than a bike.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
One other note about FI vs. carbs....if he's not very mechanical, he has zero chance of learning to fix a FI bike with fuel problems. On the other hand, if he has a carbureted bike, he will be able to bail hiimself out of a problem by doing what everyone else here did when they first started out...getting a manual and learning how to clean out a carb. Probably the easiest first mechanical step for anyone who has to learn. When money is short, motivation comes.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

scooter will depend on things like how tall he is, inseam, etc. and availability. and he will need to get it serviced in his area, too. so maybe find out if that will be possible?

if a SYM dealer is nearby used HD200's are a great buy and super reliable. and it will easily reach highway speeds. SYM claims 72mph top end, many owners say a bit more. idk what :"cheap" is to you but a good used example with low miles should be 2K give or take, depending on condition and owner and all those variables. i've seen 'em go for $1500. it can handle "adventures"

thats a tall wheeled scooter. for small wheels if he has a Kymco dealer nearby i like to recommend my model scooter, the Agility 125. it will "cruise" easily at 50mph under good conditions. anything more will vary accordingly. but this is just my pick for "small" scooter, not as BEST scooter. but its one that can be had well under 2K used and is reliable and durable and fun to ride and good for taller riders. super cheap used or around 2kOTD new with a two year warranty

DudeClone screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 09:13 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote