Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #31
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
We are going to relax our rules and standards for 2013 in regard to support and involvement from our loved ones that might want to chase us. This year we required everyone to carry everything......I mean everything. No sag-wagon to support anyone.

In 2013, bikes must carry.....just the basics, in case we are stranded and have to sleep in the woods.....but no one will have to carry 7 days of provisions and equipment.

Matter of fact, I am working on a very cool route and plan....where are camping/motel sites are a two-night thing. This will make the ride much, much better and allow us to attack the high passes with a lighter bike, minus the gear that will be back in camp.

Stay tuned.......

How about throwing in a "Trail day" where we are challenged to follow GPS routes to certain destinations; such as a gas station, we we need to pick up an item from the gas station, showing that we checked in there.

Sort of a Dakar Rally Day, so to speak.....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
How about throwing in a "Trail day" where we are challenged to follow GPS routes to certain destinations; such as a gas station, we we need to pick up an item from the gas station, showing that we checked in there.

Sort of a Dakar Rally Day, so to speak.....

Oh my word......what a phenomenal idea!!!!

The thing is....I don't think the CAM is the place for this. I think our Rendezvous in Silverton is the right event.

I will post over on that thread with the idea......and you will get the credit, SteveO!!!!
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #33
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Oh my word......what a phenomenal idea!!!!

The thing is....I don't think the CAM is the place for this. I think our Rendezvous in Silverton is the right event.

I will post over on that thread with the idea......and you will get the credit, SteveO!!!!

nice....great placement

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
CANNONMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Ever given any thought to the Grand Mesa. I recently bought a lodge up here. Thunder Mountain Lodge has a full bar and restaurant, 14 cabins and tons of single track up here. Coming from WI we didn't have much off road riding and the dirt has bitten me big time. Kind of like the elk did 25 years ago. Bought 3 bikes already. Yamaha Super Tenere, DR650 SE, and a Hotrod Kawasaki KX450. They all have more power than I have talent! Lots of USFS campgrounds up here also. I have been promoting and sponsuring a lot of snowmobile events and am looking to get into the bike venues next summer. Check us out at www.thundermountainlodge.net. If you a guys have any suggestions as what we could offer I am all ears. Thanks, Mark
CANNONMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #35
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,822
So how does one go about getting a slot on this ride? I totally get the smaller is better thing, and I'm all for it. (In fact I'll be ditching a Husky TE 610 for something lighter soon.) Frankly, I'd love to do a ride like this on a KDX, but we'll see what's in the garage next summer.

Anyway, I'm interested if there's room.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #36
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONMAN View Post
Ever given any thought to the Grand Mesa. I recently bought a lodge up here. Thunder Mountain Lodge has a full bar and restaurant, 14 cabins and tons of single track up here. Coming from WI we didn't have much off road riding and the dirt has bitten me big time. Kind of like the elk did 25 years ago. Bought 3 bikes already. Yamaha Super Tenere, DR650 SE, and a Hotrod Kawasaki KX450. They all have more power than I have talent! Lots of USFS campgrounds up here also. I have been promoting and sponsuring a lot of snowmobile events and am looking to get into the bike venues next summer. Check us out at www.thundermountainlodge.net. If you a guys have any suggestions as what we could offer I am all ears. Thanks, Mark
Yes, it is a great area. We actually rode right through the area on the 2012 route, running some of the double track over to Vega Reservoir. I doubt it will be a part of the 2013 route, but will probably come back to it in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
So how does one go about getting a slot on this ride? I totally get the smaller is better thing, and I'm all for it. (In fact I'll be ditching a Husky TE 610 for something lighter soon.) Frankly, I'd love to do a ride like this on a KDX, but we'll see what's in the garage next summer.

Anyway, I'm interested if there's room.

So here is the deal. The first of December, RMAR will send out invites to the Members that participated in the 2012 Ride. Once we receive those commitments back, then we will start to send out invites for 2013, probably the first of January. There will be slots, as we are growing the ride from one group of 15 riders to two groups, totaling 30 riders.

The first of January, I will ask anyone interested to PM me their email address. It is through you email that you will receive all the information.

Thanks for your interest.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #37
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 723
I donated a prize last year and will do so again this year.
Happy to help.

Jim AKA King of Fleece, LLC
www.kingoffleece.com
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #38
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,822
Quote:

So here is the deal. The first of December, RMAR will send out invites to the Members that participated in the 2012 Ride. Once we receive those commitments back, then we will start to send out invites for 2013, probably the first of January. There will be slots, as we are growing the ride from one group of 15 riders to two groups, totaling 30 riders.

The first of January, I will ask anyone interested to PM me their email address. It is through you email that you will receive all the information.

Thanks for your interest.

I'll keep an eye peeled.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #39
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Gang, I have flipped and back forth on the feedback from 2012 in a couple of areas. 2012 was a tough damn ride....sometimes too tough with a loaded bike. A bit of feedback was to provide a sagwagon to haul the gear.

I cannot do that. I will keep the passion and spirit of this ride, as it was originally created.

This is an extreme adventure ride where we will carry our gear and tent camp. There will be no chase vehicles and no trailer hauling gear.

This will be a team ride and we will help each other and everyone will be a successful finisher (minus a major mechanical challenge).

There will be 3-4 nights where a motel will be an option, but 3-4 where tent camping is required at a remote location.

I will do my very best to sculpt the route where we get a hot shower at least every other nigh

This ride is for only a small population of adventure explorers that want challenge and phenomenal sense of accomplishment.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #40
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Gang, I have flipped and back forth on the feedback from 2012 in a couple of areas. 2012 was a tough damn ride....sometimes too tough with a loaded bike. A bit of feedback was to provide a sagwagon to haul the gear.

I cannot do that. I will keep the passion and spirit of this ride, as it was originally created.

This is an extreme adventure ride where we will carry our gear and tent camp. There will be no chase vehicles and no trailer hauling gear.

This will be a team ride and we will help each other and everyone will be a successful finisher (minus a major mechanical challenge).

There will be 3-4 nights where a motel will be an option, but 3-4 where tent camping is required at a remote location.

I will do my very best to sculpt the route where we get a hot shower at least every other nigh

This ride is for only a small population of adventure explorers that want challenge and phenomenal sense of accomplishment.
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about.

Let's make this a R-e-a-l adventure....

Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #41
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
+1

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #42
Christeon
The BIG TICKET

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKahuna View Post
Hmmm, relaxed rules to allow involvement from our loved ones eh? Well then, I hope Big Ticket shows up again as my list of loved ones continues to diminish. I'll even send him another whistle.....
You lost your whistle LDS , mine is tethered securely to my Hydropack, Good luck on the hunt . I'm in again for this year barring something catastrophic happening. I'm hoping there is someway I can make the rendezvous as well.
Christeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #43
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Dates have been changed........

Date: Sunday, August 18 - Friday, August 23, 2013

If you are wondering.....

1. A little earlier in the year, to avoid cold weather and snow at the high altitudes
2. Seems to be a better date for many that are considering the ride.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #44
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Also......

Yes, we are keeping the ride at the heart of Adventure Riding. Disregard any posts by me....claiming a support rig or hotels,etc.

This is an extreme adventure ride.....and it will stay that way.

If you want to be a part....you pack and carry your gear and you sleep in a tent.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #45
nrspence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Dang I want to go on this ride. That video is awesome. Damn work schedule.