Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #25816
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
One more Like, Gerry. I hope you win the bet, and get your hating coworker into riding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
you are at 72 thumbs up
Thanks guys. I may up the ante on him.

k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #25817
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummee! View Post
+1

m
+2

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #25818
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,661
I'm supposed to be on a 5hr ride right now. I've got the fuckits.

M
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #25819
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,268
Any experience with dropper style seat posts? I feel like I'm a pretty solid mountain biker, and my Giant Reign is one of the best things I've ever purchased. Besides brakes, the only other 'complaint' (can't really call it that) is having to interrupt my 'flow' to get off the bike and lower the seat for downhill sections. I love making use of all 6" ... that's where the bike really shines. And to climb efficiently, I really need to get back off the bike and extend the post higher, otherwise I'm not able to get near my full power to the pedals.

LBS has the giant post for $220+tx... it seems steep but it also seems like an amazing addition to the ride, and I wont buy online... the LBS is amazing with customer support and super nice guys. I also figure I'll always be able to take the seat post with me as I move on to other bikes (eventually). I've heard some negatives of seat play and mechanical failures, but I've also heard they're worth their weight in gold. Thoughts?
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #25820
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Any experience with dropper style seat posts? ...

I also figure I'll always be able to take the seat post with me as I move on to other bikes (eventually)...
no experience with dropper posts, but good luck with the moving it, seat posts come in a jazillion sizes.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #25821
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Any experience with dropper style seat posts? I feel like I'm a pretty solid mountain biker, and my Giant Reign is one of the best things I've ever purchased. Besides brakes, the only other 'complaint' (can't really call it that) is having to interrupt my 'flow' to get off the bike and lower the seat for downhill sections. I love making use of all 6" ... that's where the bike really shines. And to climb efficiently, I really need to get back off the bike and extend the post higher, otherwise I'm not able to get near my full power to the pedals.

LBS has the giant post for $220+tx... it seems steep but it also seems like an amazing addition to the ride, and I wont buy online... the LBS is amazing with customer support and super nice guys. I also figure I'll always be able to take the seat post with me as I move on to other bikes (eventually). I've heard some negatives of seat play and mechanical failures, but I've also heard they're worth their weight in gold. Thoughts?
I really like them. They really get the seat out of the way, and mine is only a 4" .

Don't count on being able to move it from bike to bike, LOTS of different sizes for posts. But you may be able to....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #25822
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,081
Cutting weight?

I'm told that for hundreds of dollars, I can lighten my 29er from it's current weight of 26 lbs down to 22 lbs. Alternatively, I can rid myself of 4 lbs just by dieting, and it would cost me nothing. So my question is, does taking weight off the bike make more of a difference during the ride than taking an equal amount of weight off the rider?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #25823
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,158
Quote:

My Stumpy came with the Command Post. I rarely use it, as we just don't have extended distances of terrain that benefits its use. I'll run fully extended on fireroads, then, drop it to the middle on the trail. The only problem I've had is that I let someone ride my bike and they didn't understand how to adjust the post and they broke the cable (the post will not release with weight on it). Not a big deal, as I just put in a new cable (takes a shift cable).

BIKE magazine (DH/AM focused) have continual updates on their test posts. So far, they've only recommended the Crank Brothers Kronolog. They've recently received the new Rock Shox Reverb and, so far, say it looks to be an excellent post. Unfortunately, they've have had problems with every other dropper post tested. So, I guess, those would be the two models I'd look at. Though, you may not be happy with their pricetags.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #25824
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
A chuckle for your Friday: Oliver's Yes Tubes! (If your browser blocks the pop-up, allow them. They're benign and funny.)
Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #25825
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm told that for hundreds of dollars, I can lighten my 29er from it's current weight of 26 lbs down to 22 lbs. Alternatively, I can rid myself of 4 lbs just by dieting, and it would cost me nothing. So my question is, does taking weight off the bike make more of a difference during the ride than taking an equal amount of weight off the rider?

The best money you can spend to reduce noticeable weight on the bike will be in wheels, tires and secondarily on cranks, cassettes, chains. Essentially, anything that rotates will make a discernible difference. Beyond that, it's all subjective and static weight. It helps tremendously to shed weight from your body and that just takes discipline, the right nutrition and training.

Edit: or you could just man up and switch to a single speed to get rid of all those unnecessary gears, derailleurs, shifters and cables. Then swap out for a light set of wheels with that money you just made to most likely get in the sub-20lb range...

Ridge screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 02:38 PM
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #25826
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,268
yeah I've read issues with all of the seatposts in one way or another, and no offense but dont particularly trust many of the mags out there who undoubtedly get paid for their 'opinions'. Where I ride, it's constant up/down/up/down and I find myself sacrificing the uphills for the downs, and just keeping my seat lower.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #25827
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
I'd been slacking since I realised my bottom bracket might be going out. Car died tonight after work. Left it, got a ride home from a co worker.

Guess I bike to work this weekend. Bike apathy solved.
So my 13.XX mile bike ride to work was a blistering (for me) 15.9 mph. Best time and average speed for quite a while. And that's factoring in the numerous times I had to slow down for construction, traffic, or traffic signals.

But not counting it against my "route" as the ride to work is all downhill (very slight.) Car started just fine. Bike apathy continues.....
Old 10-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #25828
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,827
Oh. And I voted Jerry.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #25829
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:

I have the Reverb on my Reign. Done about 500kms of riding with it and no issues at all. It's great to be able to drop your seat at will.

I got the left hand mount for the remote and put it in upside down on the right to protect it.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #25830
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,158
Quote:
no offense but dont particularly trust many of the mags out there who undoubtedly get paid for their 'opinions'.
I wouldn't say that about BIKE magazine(Bicycling - yes). They received three CB Kronolog posts. One had a failure, that CB covered under warranty. They, also, reported exactly what failed in that post (it was a part that wasn't to tolerances; not a design issue). What they had to say about the Specialized Command Post is exactly what I've experienced (finicky cable attachment that can fail).

I don't believe everything I read, either. However, with the cost of these posts, I'd be willing to trust a reputable mag, whose testers ride a lot more and are exposed to a lot more product than I, than I'd trust opinions of forum members. Not being smart, here. It's just that I have a tendency to trust a pool of riders who've seen all the stuff out there and have a collective experience that rivals what you're going to find here.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: