User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #76
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,909
one of the things I love about cast iron is it works so well on inductive stoves.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #77
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Don't care.

A little Dawn dishwashing liquid ain't going to hurt baked-on pure fucking carbon.

Deglaze.
Wash.
Dry.
Oil.
Wipe.
Store.
I also use a thin stainless steel turner on my cast iron. Works dreamy to knock down the big chunks and has smoothed out the cooking surface over the last few years. I have one 16" pan that gets stored on my stove.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #78
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 602
I love mine. Use it all the time. Don't overthink it.
Use. After dinner, when its cooled, hot water and a scrubbie till clean. No soap. Little bit of oil in it (whatever is handy, usually veg oil), wipe it around with a paper towel. Flip it over, top rack of the oven till next time. It goes through the heat cycles of the oven. If I'm using the oven super hot, 450+ or broiler, I'll pull it out if I think about it.
Its as non-stick as I can ever ask. Works great for me.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #79
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 56

My brother and I go fishing in the Missouri Ozarks once or twice a year. Our kitchen box has several cast iron pans, as a rule we never cook with anything else.

Goes back to when we were kids. Dad always fried Trout and everything else in the old cast pan. I wish I still had it.
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #80
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
I also use a thin stainless steel turner on my cast iron. Works dreamy to knock down the big chunks and has smoothed out the cooking surface over the last few years. I have one 16" pan that gets stored on my stove.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #81
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I use my 12" CI for just about any food that isn't grilled or baked. Great stuff, great seasoning, sometimes two or three meals a day on the weekends. Get one if you don't have one.

I'm thinking of refinishing (sanding?) my small cast iron skillets to better flip eggs. The surface seems far too rough, even though the coating is pretty good, not great. Has anyone done this, and how?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #82
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,380
You can grill in a cast iron pan, makes nice grill marks on a steak that little one. A little deglazing with your beverage of choice, tea included et voila!

No markings on it but 2 B. For some reasons of my own, I am pretty sure it predates the foreign invasion of cast iron cookware. 2 B or not 2 B.....
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #83
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
You can grill in a cast iron pan, makes nice grill marks on a steak that little one.
I got good results with a Wagner Skillet Grill, but figured out quickly a range hood is REQUIRED to use one inside & gave it up. It filled the place with smoke.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #84
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I got good results with a Wagner Skillet Grill, but figured out quickly a range hood is REQUIRED to use one inside & gave it up. It filled the place with smoke.
I don't have a range hood and a few too many smoke detectors.Still cook sausages/vegetables on it however note the thermometer next to the grill. Same type of thermometer I use at work where I have a huge hood,self cleaning and fire protected. Still don't like smoke....that one at work is pretty darn noisy on High.

Grilled Hot Italian Sausages w/grilled garlic & tomatoes,deglazed with some beverage tomorrow, house will smell good but maybe not the "facilities" the next day! That's fine them are outdoors...
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #85
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Grilled Hot Italian Sausages w/grilled garlic & tomatoes,deglazed with some beverage tomorrow...
That sounds really good.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #86
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolink654 View Post

err....... i hope the big box of imodium isnt anything to do with the pans?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #87
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,632
Just added an 8" Lodge to the pantry, ran it's first seasoning heat tonight. Needs a few more before it's ready.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #88
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I swear to god you FFs will argue about anything. If you have a way off using cast iron that works for you, do it. It's a piece of archaic metal, cherished because of the lack of carbon in the iron and the presence of carbon on the iron.

I personally treat my cast iron like I would treat a grill. Preheat before cooking, scrap off the crap, hit with cooking oil, then cook on it. Cleaning? I just remove as much crusty bits and nastiness, if I'm outdoors, I might stick it on the fire to carbonize any junk. Once it's black, it's as sterile as it's ever going to get.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #89
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
I swear to god you FFs will argue about anything. If you have a way off using cast iron that works for you, do it. It's a piece of archaic metal, cherished because of the lack of carbon in the iron and the presence of carbon on the iron.

I personally treat my cast iron like I would treat a grill. Preheat before cooking, scrap off the crap, hit with cooking oil, then cook on it. Cleaning? I just remove as much crusty bits and nastiness, if I'm outdoors, I might stick it on the fire to carbonize any junk. Once it's black, it's as sterile as it's ever going to get.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see an argument in this entire thread. Differing opinions / tips, yes, but your rant sounds about the same as some other ADV'er I once posted a question to just to ask what make/model of part he used on his bike... he immediately spouted off about ADV'ers arguing about anything, when all I was asking was for the part he used.

My guess is - Some guys either don't read threads with the right frame of mind, or there must be some guys who are just out of touch with reality and discussion. Must be utter joys to be around for their friends and family, lol.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #90
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post

Oh, and just for the record, cast iron has about 4% carbon by weight - 4x as much as a "high carbon" knife, but at those levels it clumps and doesn't distribute well for hardening, but is easy to make in a large blast furnace, and so became popular for it's relative ease of manufacture and ability to cast to any shape desired.

Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: