Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #136
jimmycorp
adventure lurker

Oddometer: 179
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and bikes.
Recently got my permit and will be taking a trio of MSF courses soon.

I've started looking at bikes locally here in NYC, some untitled and plan to go the VT registration route.

Question : How can I check a VIN beforehand to make sure a bike isn't stolen?

Like I said, I'm from NYC and scams run rampant. Someone having keys to a bike isn't enough proof for me.

Should it be? Thanks to all in advance.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #137
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
Quick Google search shows www.stolenmotorcyclehelp.com for VIN search.
I would also get the VIN and contact the DMV to check.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #138
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkonjunk View Post
I registered just to say thanks wholeheartedly to all of you for this amazing information. I just sent in my stuff to register a 1981 c70 with a 125cc engine. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/2832629...7630624244810/ pix)
It's kind of amazing, and I talked the guy down for no title, and this information was amazing, so happy I didn't bother with ITS.

Cheers! I'll let you know when the plates come, and I'll let you know if I can retitle it effectively in wisconsin.
WI is really dumb about lost titles, and this information is sorely lacking on the interwebs. This thread is just the greatest thing, though.

EDIT: Plates came, no trouble so far!
So here is your big problem with all of this.... LEO stops you and asks for your DL,reg and POI. THEY DON"T MATCH as per state! Now how do you explain a WI DL and insurance and a VT reg and plate? He writes you a big ticket for an IMPROPER PLATE with a FIX IT. Now what? You even have trouble cooking up a "snowbird" story on that one.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #139
luniz7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
So here is your big problem with all of this.... LEO stops you and asks for your DL,reg and POI. THEY DON"T MATCH as per state! Now how do you explain a WI DL and insurance and a VT reg and plate? He writes you a big ticket for an IMPROPER PLATE with a FIX IT. Now what? You even have trouble cooking up a "snowbird" story on that one.
You're not gonna get a ticket unless the cop is a ass. Besides you have 30 days you can legally drive on the tag and plate from out of state. Just as if you just moved to the state.
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #140
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

We wouldn't have to do this stuff anyway if every state had an easy way to get a title if one is lost as long as the VIN shows as not stolen.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #141
Dieseldog13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Insurance

Do you get your bike insured through a Vermont agent or in your own state?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #142
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
My Vermont Transferable registration and plate came today.

Vermont is very responsive, last week I got my paper work back with instruction to send $12 and be sure to sign the application. I responded the same day and today I received my transferable registration and license plate.
Thank you Vermont. And thanks for the folks here for sharing the information.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #143
Fred_Garvin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Just found this thread through the internets and really appreciate the feedback you've all done.
I'm also in Colorado and facing a bonding process. I have two questions:

1. I purchased the bike in New York while working in the area. It has not been registered since 1982. Would I be able to use the original notarized bill of sale from the seller in New York?

2. It's yet another 200cc 1966 scooter, so I would NOT have to do any type of vin verification?

3. The check would be for $44 + the 6% of the $725 I paid (43.50) - $87.50 total?

Thanks in advance guys!
FG
Fred_Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #144
HondaBobber
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey everyone i'm a bit confused on how to do this can someone explain it step by step for me? This is my situation, i have a 1982 honda cb650 bobber thought i bought (clean, just no title) without a bill of sale. The VIN comes in clean and its just i have no bill of sale to honestly prove i even bought it. I live in virginia before you say it varies by state. Can i still do this without a bill of sale? If i need one im honestly gonna probably forge the buyers signature, i know its not the brightest thing to do but im getting desperate. How do i know how much to pay too?

HondaBobber screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 03:48 PM Reason: forgot something
HondaBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #145
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

First, you will need to "find" the bill of sale.
Honestly, hit the DMV.vermont.gov and follow the instructions. You will need the Bill of Sale.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #146
HondaBobber
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey believe it or not i actually did get the bill of sale just yesterday!
i sent the guy a bill of sale to just sign and i recieved it back yesterday so im good for that.
Do i physically mail it to them? If so can i send a copy of it not the actual?
HondaBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #147
Dieseldog13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Soooo,
Where do you insure the bike, through a Vermont Insurance Agency or an agent in your state?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #148
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Cancelled check

I did not have a bill of sale but I had payed for the bike with a check so I used the bank copy of the cancelled check that showed the previous owner signature. The application asked for the information on the previous owner I filled in the information but did not sign his signature. The cancelled check with his signature is a legal proof of the transaction.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #149
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Garvin View Post
Just found this thread through the internets and really appreciate the feedback you've all done.
I'm also in Colorado and facing a bonding process. I have two questions:

1. I purchased the bike in New York while working in the area. It has not been registered since 1982. Would I be able to use the original notarized bill of sale from the seller in New York?

2. It's yet another 200cc 1966 scooter, so I would NOT have to do any type of vin verification?

3. The check would be for $44 + the 6% of the $725 I paid (43.50) - $87.50 total?

Thanks in advance guys!
FG
I went through the Colorado bonded title in 2003 or 04. It was on an out of state purchase where the Minnesota title was lost in the mail (actually mailed to a bad address.) The only documents I had were a fax copy of the original title and a bill of sale.

Had I been able to track down the seller, he could have gotten a duplicate for me but he moved. It involved verifying the VIN at the big cop shop at Camp West George in Golden, buying the bond from a specialized insurance company then getting the title at the main state DMV offices, not the local offices. It was relatively easy except for the bad attitude of the very nasty state cop doing the inspection. It took some running around and the bond was maybe $100 or so based on the value of the bike.

That was eight or nine years ago so things may have changed. Good luck
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #150
Mollybro
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I hate to zombify an old thread...

Here's my situation:

I live in FL. I had a title, but it was lost before I registered the bike, which is a 1981 CB750C. I have tried contacting the previous owners for a Bill of Sale (they moved), but I have a friend that said he'd draw one up for me if they couldn't.

Now, will this VT trick work in my case? What all do I need? Thanks and sorry in advance.
Mollybro is offline   Reply With Quote