Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #151
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehaven View Post
I enquired with the dealer today as to the arrival of 2013 model and if any improvements have been made,he has been told jan or feb but the 13 will have fly by wire throttle!!!
Count me out, I will source a new 12 model do they really think this complicated crap is an improvement.
I would rather a 'old fashioned' cable than this gizmo setup especially when out in the desert days and 1000s klm away from home or a dealer,its a dirtbike not an aircraft.
I have not heard of any rad fan cowling issues on later models on this forum or elsewere so I have decided I will be joining the 690 powerhorse club again.

The 690 has had fly-by-wire throttle since the first model...
your dealer needs to read up on what he's selling....
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #152
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
The 690 has had fly-by-wire throttle since the first model...
your dealer needs to read up on what he's selling....
That's only partially true. The throttle butterfly is activated through a normal mechanical cable, there is just an extra controller (EPT) that can override it.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #153
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
I'm not so sure - my 300EXC gearbox was excellent - never an issue. My previous 400 and 2 450's were very durable - but had the occasional false neutral issue - although nothing that hindered riding.
I've never had a false neutral with my 690 or my 450.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #154
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
False neutrals.

I get them, mostly between 5th and 6th. It's like 6th is in a different place: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,.....6.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #155
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
I get them, mostly between 5th and 6th. It's like 6th is in a different place: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,.....6.
+1

I've had them between 5th and 6th as well. Has happened while shifting up as well as down. Only once in a blue moon though.
SigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #156
whitehaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
The fly by wire throttle is used on the current 2012 Duke 690 together with a twin plug head and gives over 70 HP!!
It is also used on the new 1190 adventure,it is not used on the 690 E or R but my dealer has been told it will be used on the 2013 R.
whitehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #157
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
The fly by wire throttle is used on the current 2012 Duke 690 together with a twin plug head and gives over 70 HP!!
It is also used on the new 1190 adventure,it is not used on the 690 E or R but my dealer has been told it will be used on the 2013 R.
I think you will find its on my 12 R model
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #158
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
I think you will find its on my 12 R model
No it's not. The 690 models (except the 2012 Duke) until now have a mechanical throttle cable that can be overriden by the EPT computer through a solenoid that controls the throttle butterfly. It sits on the right of the butterfly shaft in this picture:

The 2012 Duke 690 uses a true fly-by-wire system, or ride-by-wire as KTM calls it, so there is no mechanical connection there any more.

This is what the throttle grip looks like, it has a spring inside to mimic the feel of a regular throttle pull:

This system does of course offer some benefits because the computer can decide when it's a good idea to give it some more gas - e.g. when starting the bike etc - but at the same time it complicates things further.

IMO - great on a 690 Duke that I ride around town, not so great on a 690 Enduro (R) that I'm taking out into the boonies.

LukasM screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 05:33 AM
Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #159
whitehaven
Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback lukasM
I agree with you that it only adds more complication on a machine which I will be taking off road, that is why I am sourcing a new 2012 model.
All you need is a bad or even faulty contact [dirt, dust, mud, creek crossings,vibration] where the ride by wire plugs into the EFI and youre in trouble,this is something I cant afford to happen as I am planning to ride around Australia and through deserts next winter using as many dirt roads as possible.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #160
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback lukasM
I agree with you that it only adds more complication on a machine which I will be taking off road, that is why I am sourcing a new 2012 model.
All you need is a bad or even faulty contact [dirt, dust, mud, creek crossings,vibration] where the ride by wire plugs into the EFI and youre in trouble,this is something I cant afford to happen as I am planning to ride around Australia and through deserts next winter using as many dirt roads as possible.
If you really want simplicity and failure proof you could do a carb conversion just like the factory 690 rally bikes.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #161
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
And bar risers get more complicated as well, at least if you need to extend the wires.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #162
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,718
sorry my mistake I thought it was fly by wire
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #163
whitehaven
Adventurer

I wish I knew how to do a carb conversion as we can have trouble with dirty outback fuel here in Australia,some people have fitted extra filters on bikes and 4wd vehicles and used products like a 'Mr Filter Funnel" to strain the outback fuel when filling up.
The fuel gets dirty by not having the Service Station tank breathers covered with a dust filter and it can be extremely dusty in the Outback.
There are reported cases of 990 Adventures and other fuel injected bikes breaking down in the Outback due to this dirty fuel,it has happened to a mate of mine 2 years ago on his 990 but some people have problems some dont.
It is my biggest concern with taking a fuel injected bike into the outback, my 525 has a simple drain screw on the carburettor float bowl and you can simply dump the dirty fuel and flush out the contaminates.
This is another reason why the carburettor Suzuki DR 650 is so popular for this type of travel here.
I have done many kilometers in the Outback on my 525 with my Girl following in our 4WD pick-up and I have never had a dirty fuel problem with either vehicle,but doing a big trip solo on a fuel injected bike is still a concern to me but what choice do you have other than a heavy underpowered DR.
But like I said some times its a problem most of the time its not but you only need it to happen once and it becomes a BIG problem.
As a point of interest there is a very good Adventure Rider thread on this type of travel with a 690 it can be found at' Fifty Shades of Orange - A Tale of the APC Rally 2012' its a good read with plenty of photos and the trip covered over 7000 klms much of it in the Outback.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #164
POMGRAD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
After mounting FMF powercore 4 on 690R 2012 owner needs to do this:

1. Throttle calibration
2. Idle reset procedure
http://www.monomaniacs.nl/tnt/KTM-69...hrottle-issues
3. 2nd and 3rd gear restriction
www.monomaniacs.nl/tnt/KTM-690/2nd-and-3rd-g2nd and 3rd gear restrictionear-restriction
4. SAS removal
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=8
5. Mapping

is that it?
POMGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #165
AJ990R
motorcycle guy

Oddometer: 200
Cool2 12 690R probs

Any major problems?...a couple thus far. My roomie/riding friends bike has been a bitch (esp compared to my LC8). A quick read of this thread, did not see any similar issues . Not looking for answers here, bike is still under its 6mo warrenty, its going to the dealer asap. Here has been his summer with his first ktm/LC4

-intermittent stalling when hot @ traffic lights, with a extended long crank to get started again--PITA but not the end of the world.
talked to the dealer, they had a 690smt there, same complaint, no problem found(prolly software glitch,whatev)

-@ 700mi-bike would crank but not start or start briefly & would not rev-up after just eating lunch from tearing up some local twisties & running like a top, in front of a bunch god damn harley riders, he had to ride bitch home to get his truck
No FI light, trailered bike to the dealer, several days later...they found debris in fuel injector(plastic shavings), cleaned out as nec, ran normal, shit happens

*he installed a FMF pipe, hated it, said lost a lot of midrange (did not re-map it), re-installed stock exhaust
*installed the open air box cover,was loud, removed for our 800mi trip(which went well), never re-installed

@ 3500mi-(today) bike starts, hunts & holds a 5500rpm idle after a hot re-start from riding @ some local trails. He rode about 8mi home with the engine revving away the whole time. He could rev the engine to redline but would maintain the 5500rpm idle. No FI light
he did drop the bike on its side @ very low speed in some mud, bike stalled quickly while on its side, fired right back up & romped it for another 15min w/no problem! Hes an expierenced MX rider, we shot the shit for a few minutes, went to ride some more & thats when the throttle had a mind of its own. shut if off & started it several times...bike could maintain hwy speeds in top gear by itself

Were thinking a throttle housing or a TPS issue
I was just trying to get him to go to MOAB with me next summer...
Our KTM shop is very helpful & trustworthy
I'll let you FF know when I know

****UPDATE****
was just a loose throttle housing to intake boot

AJ990R screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 11:43 AM
AJ990R is offline   Reply With Quote