ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #211
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Picking up my brand new 500 XC-W this afternoon and trail riding tonight with some friends Very excited!
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #212
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal
 
theantipaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Niwot
Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Picking up my brand new 500 XC-W this afternoon and trail riding tonight with some friends Very excited!
Well, so how'd it go Aaron? Is that bike any good?
__________________
degarate@highwaydirtbikes.com

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #213
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Well, so how'd it go Aaron? Is that bike any good?
It's even better than I thought! Picked it up at 4 pm and was trail riding it in the dark by 7 We rode some two track covered in leaves, which meant slimy roots underneath and the occasional rock that waits to throw you in the woods.
I'm amazed how good it is right out of the box, I haven't adjusted the sag yet or even touched a clicker..... I'm almost afraid to

My KTM dealer told me that a good trail ride is perfect for breaking the motor in, with the variable throttle and of course, the terrain we rode wasn't good for WOT anyway. I did get into the power just a bit to see how it liked to wheelie.. 1-5 seemed to work

I'm like an excited puppy, I might accidentally piss on the floor I'm so happy!


I have a set of .49 springs for the front, I'm sure it probably has .42's in it
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #214
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Iowa Great Lakes
Oddometer: 165
KTM 500EXC info needed

Just picked up a '13 500EXC yesterday and guess what, no owner's manual came with the bike. Apparently "backordered".

Plan to change the oil frequently the first few rides. What is the oil change amount/volume for an oil w/filter change? Drain plug torque? What is the stock spring rate for the front forks?

Thanks in advance. Let the fun begin!
__________________
-Fortunately still working on my Bucket List-
2014 KTM 300XCW
2013 KTM 500EXC
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #215
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 5,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Picked it up at 4 pm and was trail riding it in the dark by 7 We rode some two track covered in leaves, which meant slimy roots underneath and the occasional rock that waits to throw you in the woods.
Put a 15 tooth front sprocket on it.
If you have a friend with a 2012 or 2013 EXC trade him.

I put a 15 tooth front sprocket on my XC-W, it works great.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #216
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Put a 15 tooth front sprocket on it.
If you have a friend with a 2012 or 2013 EXC trade him.

I put a 15 tooth front sprocket on my XC-W, it works great.
I really liked the gearing, it was plenty low enough and I could cruise at 50.
The 500 will be my Enduro and Hare scramble bike, not for DS riding. My 690 is my hard core DS bike. Will the 15 be better for my uses?
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #217
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Here is the video from last night...



Zimzooma was filming on his 500 EXC and I'm the wookie in the blue jacket on the 500 XC-W. This is actually a little more open than I normally ride.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #218
CamelBill
Ride It!
 
CamelBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: St. Chuck, Mizery
Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I really liked the gearing, it was plenty low enough and I could cruise at 50.
The 500 will be my Enduro and Hare scramble bike, not for DS riding. My 690 is my hard core DS bike. Will the 15 be better for my uses?
I just got back from my first dirt (mostly single track, fire road, two track, and this bike is absolutely awesome! It handles like a 250, feels very light, and wheelies in the first 5, like you said. I would not even consider a 15 tooth CS sprocket on the bike. I think it is geared perfectly for off road with the stock 13. You would have to slip the clutch alot with a 15; it would not work for endure/hare scramble. A 14 might be doable if you did a lot of really fast fire-roads and dual sports, but a 15 would be just wrong for this bike IMHO.

Love it, love it!!
__________________
Camel
KTM 1190R, 950S, 500XC-W
FJR, Wing
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #219
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBill View Post
I just got back from my first dirt (mostly single track, fire road, two track, and this bike is absolutely awesome! It handles like a 250, feels very light, and wheelies in the first 5, like you said. I would not even consider a 15 tooth CS sprocket on the bike. I think it is geared perfectly for off road with the stock 13. You would have to slip the clutch alot with a 15; it would not work for endure/hare scramble. A 14 might be doable if you did a lot of really fast fire-roads and dual sports, but a 15 would be just wrong for this bike IMHO.

Love it, love it!!
That's what I was hoping to hear, thank you for taking the time!
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #220
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wentjo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 383
I have a 13 48 ratio on mine and I love it! Bike will cruise around 65 or 70 on the road comfortably.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #221
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 5,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I really liked the gearing, it was plenty low enough and I could cruise at 50.
The 500 will be my Enduro and Hare scramble bike, not for DS riding. My 690 is my hard core DS bike. Will the 15 be better for my uses?
I ride in Western Washington snotty roots, rocks, mud and muck.
The 13 tooth front sprocket has the bike geared way too low.

I can chug along in first or second gear with the 15 tooth front sprocket on most of the trails I ride on with no problems.

My buddy who has an XCW 500 rode it with the 13 tooth sprocket and he was in third most of the time, first and second were all but unusable.

He also owns an EXC 500, that thing is geared so high it's all but unrideable on the trails.
He swapped front sprockets and now the bikes are about perfect.

I am also running a Rekluse and a LHRB as does my friend on his bikes.

Both have the same primary transmission ratio of 32:76

Stock XC-W gearing
13T
50T
3.85

Stock EXC gearing
15T
45T
3.00

Swapping the front sprocket

XCW
15T
50T
3.33

EXC
13T
45T
3.46

guns_equal_freedom screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 10:07 PM
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #222
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
I'm not a fan of the Rekluse clutches, I'm pretty good with the stock clutch. I rode my friends 500 EXC in the single track last week with stock gearing and it was very ridable. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #223
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Central NM
Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'm not a fan of the Rekluse clutches, I'm pretty good with the stock clutch. I rode my friends 500 EXC in the single track last week with stock gearing and it was very ridable. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Same experience with the clutch. I agree with the gearing I ride trails in the mountains of NM and S CO and am very happy with the stock clutch and 15/50 gearing on my EXC. But I have friends who certainly prefer lower gearing. I do think I would have trouble with the stock 15/45 gearing however when things get really tight and steep.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #224
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal
 
theantipaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Niwot
Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'm not a fan of the Rekluse clutches, I'm pretty good with the stock clutch. I rode my friends 500 EXC in the single track last week with stock gearing and it was very ridable. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Aaron, I think you'll love this bike! Can't believe your first ride on the bike was a night ride too, classic!

I replaced a clutch a year in my YZ's and only one in my CRF. The kid and I did some of the singletrack in Moab last weekend and with stock 13/50 gearing I'm in 2nd most the time on harder singletrack and 1st only when I need it. Very little clutching even though it's a hard habit to break. My bike has never had an issue with flame outs either.

We also did White Rim, 140mi gas to gas stop with a 13l tank, was a bit sketchy on whether or not I'd be making it w/o a tow. This bike has no problem riding a gear up, so I was really easy on the throttle and coasted down the long hills motor off, if I told you the mileage I got with it you'd call bull, but easily made it, even took a side trip into town before returning to fill up at the same gas station north of town.

I'm looking at moving to a 14 tooth up front for longer rides just to see how it does.

I've had this bike almost a year now and for me, hands down, this is the best bike I've ever had!
__________________
degarate@highwaydirtbikes.com

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #225
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Aaron, I think you'll love this bike! Can't believe your first ride on the bike was a night ride too, classic!

I replaced a clutch a year in my YZ's and only one in my CRF. The kid and I did some of the singletrack in Moab last weekend and with stock 13/50 gearing I'm in 2nd most the time on harder singletrack and 1st only when I need it. Very little clutching even though it's a hard habit to break. My bike has never had an issue with flame outs either.

We also did White Rim, 140mi gas to gas stop with a 13l tank, was a bit sketchy on whether or not I'd be making it w/o a tow. This bike has no problem riding a gear up, so I was really easy on the throttle and coasted down the long hills motor off, if I told you the mileage I got with it you'd call bull, but easily made it, even took a side trip into town before returning to fill up at the same gas station north of town.

I'm looking at moving to a 14 tooth up front for longer rides just to see how it does.

I've had this bike almost a year now and for me, hands down, this is the best bike I've ever had!
I basically jumped on it for the first time, rode from my van 100' right into the trails! I never touched the sag, or the clickers and I was on the pace all night and wanting to go faster This week I'm going to put the .49 springs in the fork and my shock spring from the 390 into the 500 to get the spring rates right. I'll ride it a bit on Saturday and then adjust the sag and then start playing with the clickers. looks like a Hare Scramble on Sunday for me, can't wait

I can only imagine how great it's going to be after a get it sprung for my 250# and get a tall seat and some bar risers on it. I could not ride standing up, I had to sit most of the night and I still loved it. The rebound was a bit too fast in the shock but I'll see what's up after the springs get changed.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014