ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #17701
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
My protractor says that's 35 degrees, but I'm thinking that the angle of the bike, turning away from photog may have affected that.
The Max lean angle for those bikes is usually around 32-38 degrees.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #17702
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 11,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
YOU are contributing to the split. So either shut the fuck up, or shut the fuck up.
You have hit upon every pro-Harley argument on the entire internet. First, torque. Then, money. Then the old "stole your girlfriend in high school" line. Finally "shut the fuck up." You oughta work for Harley.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #17703
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto View Post
She has dirty knees.
__________________
To ride, or not to ride? Now that's a stupid question.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #17704
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Robert OK's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Deadford, NY
Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
And you make a living selling H-Ds to those I commented upon.

All of this silliness didn't exist when I began riding in 1960. Most everyone got along then. I owned a '38 ULH and an Indian at times. But I was just another motorcyclist in a society that didn't really care who rode what. We did field meets where it didn't matter what anyone rode. Not until Easyrider and all of the exploitation films came out and divided the motorcycling community. The AMA didn't help, either. They just drove a wedge in between H-D and everyone else who was progressing technologically. I still remember when 750 H-Ds were getting their asses handed to them by 350 Yamahas. H-D paid good money to Porsche to design the VR1000, a concept they didn't have the expertise to develop into a competitive contender. Even today, H-D is having problems on dirt track from the Ducatis and Kawasakis who are blowing away the old XR750s. All they can depend on today is the outlaw image of those who still believe in the Harley fairy tale.
You've been riding since the 60s and have over 2000 posts and spew such crap? Sad.

I don't give a sh*t about pirates, Easy Rider, Sonny Barger, SOA or what happens on the track. Believe it or not there are other reasons to own a Harley.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #17705
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
My protractor says that's 35 degrees, but I'm thinking that the angle of the bike, turning away from photog may have affected that.


I was using anti-hyperbole.

Anyway, the guy is out there riding! Which is more than I'm doing right now. Gotta knock the morning frost off the bike and see where the wheels take me.
__________________
To ride, or not to ride? Now that's a stupid question.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #17706
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
My protractor says that's 35 degrees, but I'm thinking that the angle of the bike, turning away from photog may have affected that.
Yeah, but the angle of the rider is only 30 degrees.
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #17707
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
You have hit upon every pro-Harley argument on the entire internet. First, torque. Then, money. Then the old "stole your girlfriend in high school" line. Finally "shut the fuck up." You oughta work for Harley.
I like all manners of bikes. Have you seen me make fun of other bikes? Nope. That's why you should shut your stupid yap, because I'm better than you.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #17708
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: U-gene, OR.
Oddometer: 19,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
All of this silliness didn't exist when I began riding in 1960. [ ... fill in more ignorant asshattery noncensical vomit]. All they can depend on today is the outlaw image of those who still believe in the Harley fairy tale.

Keep posting. You make yourself sound more juvenile and foolish with every post.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #17709
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
And you make a living selling H-Ds to those I commented upon.

All of this silliness didn't exist when I began riding in 1960. Most everyone got along then. I owned a '38 ULH and an Indian at times. But I was just another motorcyclist in a society that didn't really care who rode what. We did field meets where it didn't matter what anyone rode. Not until Easyrider and all of the exploitation films came out and divided the motorcycling community. The AMA didn't help, either. They just drove a wedge in between H-D and everyone else who was progressing technologically. I still remember when 750 H-Ds were getting their asses handed to them by 350 Yamahas. H-D paid good money to Porsche to design the VR1000, a concept they didn't have the expertise to develop into a competitive contender. Even today, H-D is having problems on dirt track from the Ducatis and Kawasakis who are blowing away the old XR750s. All they can depend on today is the outlaw image of those who still believe in the Harley fairy tale.
Agreed. H-D sells the image and a lifestyle and not technology. A triumph of modern marketing hype and not of design.

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #17710
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Agreed. H-D sells the image and a lifestyle and not technology. A triumph of modern marketing hype and not of design.

--Bill
Awww.... poor baby can't understand that people have different tastes... :(
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #17711
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 6,365
How can ads like this make you NOT want a Harley?



__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #17712
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,393
Selling an image and a lifestyle is branding. Harley probably does it better than anyone, but Ducati and BMW do it very well too. Honda makes pretty good bikes too, but they can't give away a new VFR1200 because none of us can describe who a Honda rider is. There are pages of posts about HD pirates, Aerostich-wearing BMW snobs, and Ducati owners hanging out in cafes dressed like Valentino Rossi, drinking espresso and chatting it up with models. We identify with the lifestyle and we buy into the program. Apple's average laptop sells for 30% more than the industry average, but they all do basically the same things with the same basic parts, but Sony never had a Steve Jobs or catchy new Coldplay song in their commercials.

I'm not a Harley guy, but I'm a sales and marketing guy, and when you can get people tattooing your brand all over their bodies it's something that has to be admired. It's literally branding personified.

I just wish most HD riders didn't ride like such twats.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Agreed. H-D sells the image and a lifestyle and not technology. A triumph of modern marketing hype and not of design.

--Bill
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #17713
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Selling an image and a lifestyle is branding. Harley probably does it better than anyone, but Ducati and BMW do it very well too. Honda makes pretty good bikes too, but they can't give away a new VFR1200 because none of us can describe who a Honda rider is. There are pages of posts about HD pirates, Aerostich-wearing BMW snobs, and Ducati owners hanging out in cafes dressed like Valentino Rossi, drinking espresso and chatting it up with models. We identify with the lifestyle and we buy into the program. Apple's average laptop sells for 30% more than the industry average, but they all do basically the same things with the same basic parts, but Sony never had a Steve Jobs or catchy new Coldplay song in their commercials.

I'm not a Harley guy, but I'm a sales and marketing guy, and when you can get people tattooing your brand all over their bodies it's something that has to be admired. It's literally branding personified.

I just wish most HD riders didn't ride like such twats.
Agreed.


Btw, I'm your typical honda cruiser rider. By that I mean I wish I had a harley. ;)
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #17714
folknride
Old Adventurer
 
folknride's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 566
"Wildlife photographer catches THE YELLOW PIGGY in it's natural habitat"



But probably the safest way to roll with it
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #17715
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 6,365
+1 to josephvman. I've owned two Harleys. Frankly, they sucked, but I didn't know any better at the time. I now have 3 Triumphs, a Ural, and a Honda, all of which I love. Each moto has its own character that compliments a certain type of person. At the end of the day, I'm an Equal Opportunity Offender. I make fun of everyone, including myself. For some reason though, most of my Harley riding friends really get their panties in a bunch over the joshing.

Sent from the voices in my head, and transcribed by their drinking buddy.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014