Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #1621
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Actually, it would be (technologically) impossible to keep that size and performance in a real world conditions.
I dream about such device as a motorcycle dashboard for years.
Arrrrgh - you are sucking me in again!

Actually, I know a number of people who use iPhones as GPS units on street bikes with no ill-effects whatsoever - you can get some nice little waterproof cases for them too...

The technology and build is basically the same in the iPad mini - so why not? - stick it in an Otterbox (or tupperware as Troy suggests xx) and it would be well protected...

I'm not suggesting this for racing/rally application (as I'm on record many times as a firm advocate of paper), but for dual-sport and adventure riding, I can see real potential in the iPad mini as a moving map/GPS and even as a display for traditional road-book style instructions - Trans-Am Trail and the like? There are already a number of highly detailed map apps for the iOS, and of course Google maps if you have a wifi/3G connection...

You can already get a Garmin app for the iPhone that essentially converts it into a Garmin Nuvi style vehicular device - so the dashboard function is already taken care of...

Oooooh the possibilities!

Ram Mount/Otterbox - where are you?!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #1622
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,529
we've discussed this here.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #1623
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Many have discovered that more challenging the task is, more low-tech you need to go.
Russians didn't put hydraulic controls anywhere in their planes because 'it can fail'.
...Russians? ...Planes?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #1624
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,191
I think this is the ASO's annual, "look at us making the roadbook" video.

Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #1625
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,224
All I can say is the drivers better get used to diggin sand and using the ladders.. January cant get here soon enough!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #1626
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
I stumble onto that video tonight, hopefully it is not 205, sure makes me look forward to January after what we have seen in Morocco.

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #1627
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
I stumble onto that video tonight, hopefully it is not 205, sure makes me look forward to January after what we have seen in Morocco.
A rally for "all" but what is amazing is that this video just emphasises the enormity of the skill required to challenge for that Dakar podium

Can't wait

too old screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 09:51 AM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #1628
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,529
Quote:

My eyes are leaky.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #1629
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
This bike is good value at that price.

i really hope they start to sell these bike, and there is more compition. I really like the look of the Husky aswell.

The KTM 450 RR is great but to import it to South Africa it is 34 000 Euros
Hey Nitro

You could always do what mark & I did: Buy a 2nd hand bike for almost half the the price.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #1630
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Hey Nitro

You could always do what mark & I did: Buy a 2nd hand bike for almost half the the price.
I wish you didn't write that.
It led me here:

http://cgi-bin.dakar.com/forum/ultim...?ubb=forum;f=5

..and now I'm calculating how much all my possessions are worth.
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1631
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
I stumble onto that video tonight, sure makes me look forward to January after what we have seen in Morocco.

That was a great compilation!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #1632
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Sainz,Attiyah et al..

Over at race dez ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ollivier View Post
It's not yet official but in few days, Red Bull, the main sponsor, will annonce than Nasser Al Attiyah, Carlos Sainz and...Thierry Magnaldi will race the Dakar 2013 in the same team with three cars built as you know in California. Magnaldi will work to test and make first évolutions on the cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Miller View Post
She is 50 years, but maintains the same enthusiasm for running when he made his first steps on the winding roads of the mountains of Madrid in the 70's with a hint of a rally car. Carlos Sainz still active. Nothing retiring. Moreover, the Spaniard intends to contest the next edition of the Dakar. Want to stay on the 5th January in Lima on the podium to give out on the beaches of the Peruvian capital.

The former winner of the 2010 has pretty much bound to return to competition at the highest level. In 2012 they left wanting after Volkswagen withdraw official support to a team that had swept the stakes in the mythical past Raid. He made mild attempts, but found a squad of guarantees. A pilot can not keep his prestige to crawl.

THE DATA
stages. Spanish is the most won in cars in history
However, in 2013 the situation will be different. Sainz tried, first, achieve official Mini go to South America. It is the only brand with factory support and the top point topped last January with Stephane Peterhansel and Nani Roma. The attempts were not successful for a sponsorship problem.

Carlos has been throughout the last part of his sporting life with Red Bull and other energy drink, Monster, is the main sponsor of the official squad Mini. The Spaniard could not break away from the Austrians because his son is part of the Young Driver of Red Bull.

Toyota and raised
The next attempt was with Toyota, but was soon discarded. No warranties offered basic techniques for not punishing the deserts. The best choice came with Nasser Al-Attiyah. The Qatari, after winning an Olympic medal in shooting in London focused on his next passion rallies. With Citroën WRC ended badly. It thwarted his dream of going with them to Dakar. So seek new solutions. And found them in the same continent where the Raid dispute since 2009, in America, but North.

The winner of 2011 contacted Jeffries Racing, a California company that manufactures buggys. Nasser is also Red Bull's orbit and thus gave the project to Salzburg. He was given the nod. Sainz, knowing the plans, canvassed the option of having a car like that and received approval from Volkswagen, who has worked to develop the Polo WRC and who is advisor.

The team is quite advanced as Thierry Magnaldi, expert pilot-not in vain buggies raced in the past one-Dakar has been responsible for the development of the machine. In fact, I would participate in the next edition dakariana, but his job will be to Sainz. The machine is adapted to the new regulations and has a power greater than the Mini. Its weight is so small that even as ballast will have to reach the 1,400 kilos that are required.

Without Lucas Cruz
One of the few remaining to be closed fringes is who will be the co-driver Sainz. He wanted it to be Lucas Cruz, who won in 2010, but the Catalan has a long-term contract with Al-Attiyah. In fact, and ran together with a Hummer in 2012.

What has made Carlos are technical guarantees that the car will be reliable. Obviously it will not be as indestructible as the Touareg has been made, but there will be mechanical engineers and contrasted. Nasser made a test from 7 to 15 November in the U.S.. Carlos is not to go with his son to the Macau F3. Yes you can try it in December.

Buggies from the good ole USA... all we need is Schlesser to go in.. by the looks of the pre run there are going to be ALOT of dunes!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #1633
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Atacama Rally has started..

http://www.atacamarally.com/atacama/

The Prohens Bros are racing..

Good to see this is running again!

Cant belive it hasnt been brought up..
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #1634
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,113
I just stumbled across this so maybe not everyone has seen it.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #1635
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Nice, high resolution gallery of the Husqvarna/Speedbrain bike:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/raci...ke-speedbrain/
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote