User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Tr25w OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
kx250 frame + lifan questions

My friend has a 92 kx250 roller(no motor). I see these lifan 200cc motors and thought it might be a good combo. What would be needed for the wiring since a kx250 doesnt have a battery?
Tr25w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr25w View Post
My friend has a 92 kx250 roller(no motor). I see these lifan 200cc motors and thought it might be a good combo. What would be needed for the wiring since a kx250 doesnt have a battery?
You'd probably be best to just get an entire Chinese 200cc dirt bike and rob everything you need including a wiring harness. Everything I read about them says that the strong point is the engine, and the frame/suspension/wheels are junk.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
You'd probably be best to just get an entire Chinese 200cc dirt bike and rob everything you need including a wiring harness. Everything I read about them says that the strong point is the engine, and the frame/suspension/wheels are junk.
Pretty much what i have learned from people that I know that have them.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr25w View Post
You'll need the regulator/rectifier if you're going to run lights. It regulates the AC current as well as the DC. You'll also need the CDI unit and coil.

The Lifan 200 engine comes in at least 3 types, push rod, push rod with balance shaft, and OHC. I have the push rod type with balance shaft in my Lifan motorcycle. The engine is excellent if not overly powerful, it now has over 37,000 miles on it with no problems.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Thumb Lifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
+1
I am watching for a complete bike to transfer everything over to the RM250 rolling chassis I have.
It is much easier to start with a running bike than to figure out why it won't start when getting just an engine.
Lifan and several others have excellent reviews of their engines.
James
JagLite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,648
I toyed with the idea of doing this to a 2000 RM 250 i have sitting around that I never ride. Keep us posted if you move forward.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Sellers of Lifan engines often supply everything you need as a kit. Engine, carb, manifold, CDI, rectifier/regulator, coil, kick start lever, shift lever, etc.. I've bought 3 engines this way and installed them in old Hondas. Makes it real easy. Wiring was straight forward and jetting in the supplied carbs was perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
+1
I am watching for a complete bike to transfer everything over to the RM250 rolling chassis I have.
It is much easier to start with a running bike than to figure out why it won't start when getting just an engine.
Lifan and several others have excellent reviews of their engines.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Sellers of Lifan engines often supply everything you need as a kit. Engine, carb, manifold, CDI, rectifier/regulator, coil, kick start lever, shift lever, etc.. I've bought 3 engines this way and installed them in old Hondas. Makes it real easy. Wiring was straight forward and jetting in the supplied carbs was perfect.
x2, thats what i have seen too!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Thumb Lifan complete

Quote:
That's good to know! Do you recommend any of the sellers? Link?

I should have clarified that I am looking for a complete bike that is street legal to transfer everything over to make my RM a street legal trail bike.
Our laws here in Alaska don't allow a bike to be made legal unless it came that way from the mfg and says so on the title.
I will just get the title changed when I install my "custom" frame and get a state supplied VIN #.
I hope to find a 200cc street bike donor eventually.

If you only want a dirt bike engine, the electrical on it is simple!
James
JagLite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry about the delayed response, I've been doing some Lifan riding in the wilds of BC Canada.

I've bought new engine kits from hooperimports.com and dratv.com but I'm sure there are many other legit sellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
That's good to know! Do you recommend any of the sellers? Link?

I should have clarified that I am looking for a complete bike that is street legal to transfer everything over to make my RM a street legal trail bike.
Our laws here in Alaska don't allow a bike to be made legal unless it came that way from the mfg and says so on the title.
I will just get the title changed when I install my "custom" frame and get a state supplied VIN #.
I hope to find a 200cc street bike donor eventually.

If you only want a dirt bike engine, the electrical on it is simple!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
ibhayirob
n00b

Oddometer: 3
hi there q

are you putting honda clone lifans in your bikes or is frame modification required

tks

rob

Quote:
ibhayirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

All the Lifan engines I've used are Honda clones. Minor grinding and drilling on the frame is required. These are the bikes I've done.

Lifan 110 into 1971 CT90.
Lifan 140 into 1968 CT90
Lifan 110 into 1965 Honda Cub

I also own a Lifan 200 GY5 motorcycle with the OHV vertical engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibhayirob View Post
hi there q

are you putting honda clone lifans in your bikes or is frame modification required

tks

rob
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
You'll need the regulator/rectifier if you're going to run lights. It regulates the AC current as well as the DC. You'll also need the CDI unit and coil.

The Lifan 200 engine comes in at least 3 types, push rod, push rod with balance shaft, and OHC. I have the push rod type with balance shaft in my Lifan motorcycle. The engine is excellent if not overly powerful, it now has over 37,000 miles on it with no problems.
Is the OHC better?

Which of the three is preferred?

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

All the horizontal engines are OHC. The majority of vertical engines sold are OHV which they say have a better power curve for dirt bike and dual sport use. There were some OHC vertical engines used in street bikes imported to the US.

The OHV vertical engines are clones of the Honda CG125 which is one of the most bullet proof engines ever made. The OHC vertical engines will eventually wear out the cam chain but otherwise are very similar in design.

BTW Lifan makes many different engines including parallel twins, V twins, shaft drive engines, liquid cooled engines, forced air cooled scooter engines, generator engines, industrial engines, car and truck engines, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
Is the OHC better?

Which of the three is preferred?

Don