User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
I vote WD 40 and a rag too.

Maybe there is a cheaper way, but its always sitting on the shelf and I ain't exactly going broke using a little WD-40 cleaning my rims.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #32
Mambo Dave OP
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Well, I'm just not a household that seems to ever have WD-40 lying around. I was meaning to go out and get some since it comes so well recommended for cleaning (I have no other use for it since I either use grease, oil, or Parts Blaster for the ways many people use WD-40), but between having some time today, and having a brief period of sunshine after a feeder band of Sasha cleared away that just happened to coincide with me reading ttpete's post that WD-40 is mostly mineral spirits, I decided to test what I had in the house.

Pictured is the way the non-chain side of the wheel looked after amounts of Simple Green, straight and diluted, a sponge and rinsing, plus the cans of Acetone and Mineral Spirits I had on hand. I didn't get into trying to scrub too hard because I wasn't all that impressed with Simple Green's ability to cut through what was there. If it didn't come off after sponging the area a few times, it wasn't coming off that day.

I was ready for a side-by-side comparison, but the truth is that they both seemed to clean the PJ1 Black lube off just as well. The only difference I saw was that the Mineral Spirits stayed around longer, and this meant that after softening up and moving around greases/dirts, it was still cutting adn liquid enough to wipe areas with a clean paper towel to clean up the gunk that got moved around but not removed. This was pretty helpful, and made the clean-up around the spoke mounds on the rim even easier.

My take on it is that one would have to re-apply acetone to their towel or rag more often, and therefore go through more of it.

I'm still not 100% sure there is no difference in cleaning ability, but I'll wait until next time to test that again since the rain started up again.

Actually, I can see waiting until I have the wheel off again to clean up the rear sprocket and other parts of the wheel... but thanks to you guys that clean up will be much easier now.

I wonder if I should try car wax on them after cleaning and washing them again to try to limit how much grime or chain lube will stick to them?

Again, I want to thank everyone for the tips and ideas.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 01:02 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #33
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,488
You are right the mineral spirits have a much longer effect than Acetone.I liberally soak engine parts sometimes with the spiritual stuff, then let it dry and go on with regular cleaners. Seems to make the imbeded oily crud in porous aluminiums come off much easier that way.

Having said that and if the spirits got on your tire, they may make it greasy for a while. Acetone will get rid of that. But watch out with Acetone around some plastics.

Wax away.....!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #34
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
You are right the mineral spirits have a much longer effect than Acetone.I liberally soak engine parts sometimes with the spiritual stuff, then let it dry and go on with regular cleaners. Seems to make the imbeded oily crud in porous aluminiums come off much easier that way.

Having said that and if the spirits got on your tire, they may make it greasy for a while. Acetone will get rid of that. But watch out with Acetone around some plastics.

Wax away.....!
Hot water will evaporate mineral spirits quickly. Go over whatever you're cleaning with mineral spirits and a brush, then hose down with hot water and blow dry.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #35
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Kerosene. Just rub it on your wheel, sprockets, etc., at the same time you're cleaning your chain.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #36
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
+3 , like Yossarian™ also said, the stuff is cheap, works and great in fact why stop at the rims, spray it on the engine (cool engine), centerstand, frame rails, chain and sprocket too then, pressure blast it off, a rag and some elbow grease can be judiciously added in select areas

while you are at it, put some in a spray bottle, it's handy to have around the shop
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #37
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
I'm a big fan of LA's Awesome Cleaner. Works well on stubborn adhesive and gunk of all kinds. It's cheap if you have a Dollar General around. Look for the clear bottle with yellow stuff in it and a homemade looking label.

http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/

And yes, I use Maxima Chain Guard and PJ1 Black.......the Black only because I couldn't remember what one I liked and I think now that it is the Blue since the Blue seems to clean the crud off while spraying and not goop up so bad.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #38
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
I've cleaned my wheels with paintbrushes and hot pine-sol with good results. I set the spray bottle in a bucket with hot water to heat it up.

If I'm cleaning the engine, I will ride it to get it good and hot before washing it.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #39
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Dawn dish soap. That shit cuts grease and oil like crazy. It also work great for hand cleaning after repair jobs.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #40
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
p.s. STOP using chain lube. There is NO valid reason to spray "Chain lube on a modern O-Ring/ X-Ring chain. NONE.

Spray a bit of Teflon lube every 400 miles or so to help with the chain to sprocket contact...

All the "won't fly off" chain lubes trap dirt and destroy the the O-rings, cutting chain life in half (or worse)
Here's a drawing of an o-ring (x-ring, whatever) chain:

Note that the ring seals in lube between the pin and the bushing, but the bushing to roller surface is not lubed by the sealed lubricant.

Here's what RK chain says: Use formulated O-ring chain cleaner or other similar product to keep dirt from building up around link plates and rollers. Don’t use a wire brush or pressure washer. If your chain comes in contact with water, be sure to use a moisture displacement (like WD40). Lubing an O-Ring chain is vital for maximum wearlife. All RK O-Ring chains are injected at the factory with a lifetime supply of internal lubricant. The purpose of an O-Ring lube is to keep the chain from rusting and the O-rings from drying out. Use a lubricant specifically designed for O-Ring Chains.
http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/faq.html#oring

I agree, the gunky chain lubes are old school. I use an industrial roller chain lube that has moly and graphite in an evaporating penetrating liquid. DuPont has a chain lube in a 4 oz. drip bottle. The DuPont blue can multi purpose teflon lube has been reformulated and is no longer adequate for chains. PJ1 blue label is good.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #41
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ______ View Post
Dawn dish soap. That shit cuts grease and oil like crazy. It also work great for hand cleaning after repair jobs.
Hum Dawn....we were using that at work for its intended purpose.Cracking hands and eczema convinced the boss to buy us better stuff. Apparently all natural and cuts the grease just as good if not better. I could try it on motorcycle parts, I have a few greasy ones here and then after I can run them through the commercial dishwasher, may even fit a wheel/tire that one.

Simple Green "Motorsports" did a darn good job on some very very greasy stuff I cleaned yesterday altough I wouldn't use in on anything anodized.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #42
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,522
Thumb Both

I use diesel/mineral spirits to clean the gunk, then Dawn and hot water to remove the residue.

Instead of wax, I have heard very good feedback on the Shark Hide product. By guys that make alloy tanks/body panels. http://sharkhide.com/faq.htm
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #43
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
I use, um, chain cleaner. Usually the kind with some citrene or limonene in it. Amazing that it works on chains AND wheels!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 AM   #44
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
Personal experience using:

Dawn Dish Soap - VERY good grease cutter. Removes wax.

Simple Green - Excellent product, paint and plastic friendly. Can use undiluted.

WD-40 - Heck of a grease cutter. Do not get it on brake parts.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #45
Red_dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post

WD-40 - Heck of a grease cutter. Do not get it on brake parts.

Barry
Becuz of the oils in it, friction is wot makes you stop. oils not so much lol
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote