Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #1831
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
The fork brace is great for handling. Mine had a screaming eagle brace when I got it. I didn't like the chrome and it interfeared with a fender I liked. Took it off. Put it back on after one ride. I hear the super brace works the same. I think it looks best and its cheap.

Hhkiwi, that seat is great, I wish I had had one like it
Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #1832
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post
Hhkiwi, that seat is great, I wish I had had one like it
A lot of people ask me about the seat. It is strange that you can't get one like it for the Sportster anywhere - I looked for months and finally decided to do my own. It took me quite some time do modify the stock seat pan but once the upholsterer had worked his magic it all came together nicely. It wasn't a cheap exercise though - I probably spent somewhere in the order of $300 plus many hours of my time...
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #1833
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
It's too bad Harley won't make a retro standard Sporty to go head to head with Trumph Bonnevilles and kawi W800's. They sure do seem obsessed with skulls and wanna be bobbers though.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #1834
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
fork brace

I have a fork brace. Picked up a used SE for cheap awhile back.
I'm 150lbs, and it really did not change anything for me.
After I had bought and installed,
started reading it makes better use for the people much massier than I.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #1835
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,941
Bench seats and fork braces

I have a 99, XL1200s. Bought new. I rode it the first summer and installed the HD fork brace over the winter. It tightened up the handling to a very noticable amount. I highly recommend it. About that bench seat. I get cramped up on longer rides because the distance from the pegs to the seat is too short. Also the stock seat foam would compress after about an hour and leave my ass sitting on the seat pan. Combine this with the solid mount engine vibes and it's time for a break. I had this company modify my stock seat pan. http://www.badassbikeseats.com/
I had him add about 4 1/2 inches of foam to the driver front area and told him I wanted a 70's era ujm bench seat look. What an improvement! Feels like a completely different bike. Gets me further away from the pegs and dampens alot of felt vibration through the seat. Another very worth while mod/farkel for long range riding improvement was the addition of handle bar end weights. My bars are solid mount and get quite buzzy over 70mph. I bought and installed the heaviest solid stainless steel weights they listed and am very happy with the results. They cut the felt vibration through the bars by a significant amount. http://www.manicsalamander.com/products.aspx
I think these three mods done to any Sportster are well worth the money.
I have no affiliation with the above linked vendors except to be very pleased with their products and service.

Message sent from a Molsen beer can with very tightly streched fishing line.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #1836
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
I am looking at one of these

http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php...t_detail&p=129

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #1837
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Yep, I looked at the Biltwell Banana. Great looking seat but, unfortunately, not suitable for 2004 or later model Sportsters...

Greetings to Gainesville - Go Gators!
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #1838
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
I have a 99, XL1200s. Bought new. I rode it the first summer and installed the HD fork brace over the winter. It tightened up the handling to a very noticable amount. I highly recommend it. About that bench seat. I get cramped up on longer rides because the distance from the pegs to the seat is too short. Also the stock seat foam would compress after about an hour and leave my ass sitting on the seat pan. Combine this with the solid mount engine vibes and it's time for a break. I had this company modify my stock seat pan. http://www.badassbikeseats.com/
I had him add about 4 1/2 inches of foam to the driver front area and told him I wanted a 70's era ujm bench seat look. What an improvement! Feels like a completely different bike. Gets me further away from the pegs and dampens alot of felt vibration through the seat. Another very worth while mod/farkel for long range riding improvement was the addition of handle bar end weights. My bars are solid mount and get quite buzzy over 70mph. I bought and installed the heaviest solid stainless steel weights they listed and am very happy with the results. They cut the felt vibration through the bars by a significant amount. http://www.manicsalamander.com/products.aspx
I think these three mods done to any Sportster are well worth the money.
I have no affiliation with the above linked vendors except to be very pleased with their products and service.

Message sent from a Molsen beer can with very tightly streched fishing line.
First of all, we need pics of that seat. Get to it!

I remember a thread on the XLForum about Manic Salamander bar end weights that turned into a shitfest. Were you the one that started that thread?

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #1839
_tomaso_
n00b

Oddometer: 1
my 1991 Sportster XL 883 in 2000

_tomaso_ screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 01:50 AM
_tomaso_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #1840
bravada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
It's too bad Harley won't make a retro standard Sporty to go head to head with Trumph Bonnevilles and kawi W800's. They sure do seem obsessed with skulls and wanna be bobbers though.
My feelings exactly. I like a Bike to ride. I am secure in my manhood. Don't need skulls, studs or leather streamers. The Sportster has always looked on its own. That is why it lasts....
bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #1841
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravada View Post
My feelings exactly. I like a Bike to ride. I am secure in my manhood. Don't need skulls, studs or leather streamers. The Sportster has always looked on its own. That is why it lasts....
Take an R model, throw a flat seat on it, done.

Too bad the R models DIDN'T SELL.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #1842
scooterintexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
883 to 1200 conversion cost

What is the typical cost to convert the engine from 883 to 1200? Parts and labor breakdown? What about the SE stage 1?

Looking at prices on used sportsters, it looks like you can get a low mileage 883 for $3K - $4K here in the DFW area. If I can upgrade to the 1200 at a reasonable price this may be the way to go.

Like this one: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/3338127623.html

Scott
scooterintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #1843
ian03xl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterintexas View Post
What is the typical cost to convert the engine from 883 to 1200? Parts and labor breakdown? What about the SE stage 1?

Looking at prices on used sportsters, it looks like you can get a low mileage 883 for $3K - $4K here in the DFW area. If I can upgrade to the 1200 at a reasonable price this may be the way to go.

Like this one: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/3338127623.html

Scott
You can do a basic 1200 for $500 if you do it yourself it'll double that if you pay someone to do it.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #1844
bravada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Take an R model, throw a flat seat on it, done.

Too bad the R models DIDN'T SELL.
Love the R!

Why doesn't the motor co make a xl with a 29"- 30" seat height( for me would be ideal at 31"), real swing arm travel, and some great front forks. This low stuff is great for the market it is intended for but I am not that market.

I don't want one of the bigger bikes that they offer as I tend towards the smaller displacement size stuff. I like nimble point and squirt stuff. Can you think of a nimble fat ballerina?

Now I know that are many other brands out there that would make a better choice. Here are my secondary considerations that are very important to me: 15 min away is a great well known Harley Dealer I am not interested in driving 90 miles for parts or mail order . Service is big in my book next as is parts availability and interchangeability. A few years after the purchase I have confidence that I will be able to keep my wheels on the road. Been there/here done that. My current brand/ dealer will still service my bike and started selling lawn equipment any way i need a second bike.
bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #1845
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravada View Post
Love the R!

Why doesn't the motor co make a xl with a 29"- 30" seat height( for me would be ideal at 31"), real swing arm travel, and some great front forks. This low stuff is great for the market it is intended for but I am not that market.

I don't want one of the bigger bikes that they offer as I tend towards the smaller displacement size stuff. I like nimble point and squirt stuff. Can you think of a nimble fat ballerina?

That's the issue is that bikes like the R don't sell well in the USA. Most HD customers either want a one of the touring bikes for the long haul stuff or they want a bike that is lowered with a particular sound and look. Guys like "us" that want a Sportster standard are a small part of their current market. Honestly though , the parts interchange so easily and are so readily available that making one of their current bikes into what you are describing is simple and inexpensive.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote