Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #136
roadrunnerADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael View Post
At least there's a good chance I will be the new owner of an FT500. The bike comes highly recommended to me. Funnily enough I almost bought one of them new back in '83 but it didn't happen, now all the yrs later looks as if I'll be getting one.

This bike is Red (only ever seen Red ones here in Australia), 40,000 k's, 3 owners. The current owner once sold it and missed it so much he bought it back again a few yrs later.

It's had a top end overhaul and a new 5th gear fitted, otherwise stock and is used regularly on club runs.
It'll be registered on club certificate so only $60 a year for rego Whopee.

Paintwork, seats, stock muffler all apparently very good. Premium price, several thousand kays but they are quite rare over here and singles are getting a bit of a cult following now.

Does anyone know where I can get a workshop manual for one? Amazon lists one but not available for shipping to Australia.

If I don't get this bike then I reckon there is a new Royal Enfield in my future.

Mike
There's a new service manual available on eBay right now for $54.95 and they say they ship worldwide...

'98 NH 750, '82 FT500
roadrunnerADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #137
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,249
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get a workshop manual for one? Amazon lists one but not available for shipping to Australia.

Mike
If you don't have any luck getting one there let me know I will be more than happy to reship it to you.
I would just need the shipping cost.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #138
Mychael
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdier View Post
There's a new service manual available on eBay right now for $54.95 and they say they ship worldwide...
Thanks Ray,I'll try to find it. Can you recall what it was listed under?

Mike.

Ps. since located and purchased via ebay.. Thanks.

Mychael screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 07:07 AM
Mychael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #139
wcimb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Latest Aquisition!

Just picked up this little gem. Only 2500 original miles! I bought it from the original owner's son, who doesn't ride. His dad rode it off and on for about 10 years then parked it. It has never fallen over, the grips and shifter rubber look like new, and it still has all the original stickers, etc.
When I got it a couple weeks ago it had no brakes and would only idle with the choke on. When it was parked in '92 it was left as is. Turns out the brake fluid had all dried up, so a complete rebuild of the masters and calipers, along with some new EBC pads has the brakes working better than new.
Multiple carb cleanings and a little jet work has it running like new. Two oil & filter changes and some good cleaning has it running and looking like new. I just finished putting new tires on it as the original tires, although looking very good, were still 30 years old.
Total investment so far: $1,532.00!
wcimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #140
Mychael
n00b

Thumb

Looks nice. I'll be test riding the one I'm considering today.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #141
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Nice score. When I got mine it had 3200 miles on it. Over 10,000 now.

Great looking bike.

Ray
Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #142
roadrunnerADV
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Ray,I'll try to find it. Can you recall what it was listed under?

Mike.

Ps. since located and purchased via ebay.. Thanks.
Just checked the forum again today. Glad you got the manual Mychael! It's invaluable for maintenance work..

'98 NH 750, '82 FT500
Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #143
roadrunnerADV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcimb View Post
Just picked up this little gem. Only 2500 original miles! .....
Nice score! You'll enjoy riding this restored bike!

'98 NH 750, '82 FT500
Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #144
Mychael
n00b

Talking Got the Bike.

Closed the deal on the bike I was looking at. Collecting it later this week.
Rides very well, near new rear tire, overhauled brakes, engine 500k's since top overhaul,new 5th gear,brakes overhauled. Total bike k's of 45,000.

Seat still good,paintwork very good apart from a few small chips, tank decals still very good.

Fitted with a 530 chain, owner had tried different sprocket sizes over the years and made notes of revs to road speed so handy reference guide. Got an original shop manual and some 'passable' soft panniers.

Paid top dollar by American standards but we never had many of these bikes around even when new so a bit of a collectors item. It's been kept immaculately clean. The seller also has a new Triumph T100 bonny, an OSSA enduro which he is rebuilding and an Ariel of some sort which he is also restoriing.

I'll put up some pics once bike is home.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #145
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 676
Sweet! heck of a deal!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #146
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
In........

Just picked up a red 82 with 8000 original miles. Took it or a ride and fell in love. Bike looks almost new. Needs a new choke cable and the rear caliper seems to be sticking a little. I will enjoy having this little gem in my garage over the winter.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #147
roadrunnerADV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
Just picked up a red 82 with 8000 original miles. Took it or a ride and fell in love. Bike looks almost new. Needs a new choke cable and the rear caliper seems to be sticking a little. I will enjoy having this little gem in my garage over the winter.
Congratulations on your find!
Sometimes the return port (sometimes called the compensating port) clogs in the master cylinder. When the brake fluid can't return from the caliper to the master cylinder, you get sticking brakes.

Pictures?

'98 NH 750, '82 FT500
Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #148
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Cool. Graduated out of the Scooters huh? You will love the little bike. I ride mine more than the others. Just more fun to ride. (yes even more than my V Max)

Yeah I had the rear caliper stick on my 83' Swapped it out for a front off a Nighthawk CB650SC I had as a parts bike. Same caliper. Both front calipers on the CB650SC fit the Ascot. Left Nighthawk front fits front on Ascot and right Nighthawk front fits the rear on the Ascot. Same pads too.

Rear caliper rebuild kits are not too expensive but you have to look to find them though. Takes about 15 minutes to do the job. Pretty easy. Takes longer to bleed out the brakes.

Post up pics.

Ray
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #149
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Thanks Guys

Yea, graduated from scooters! Too funny! I really wasn't too jazzed about this bike when I looked at the pics online, but I asked my brother about it (major niche bike aficionado) and he about fell off his chair when I told him about it. So I thought, well, if hes this excited, its at least worth a road trip to check it out. When we initially looked at it I liked what I saw. The bike was really really clean and just had a really nice presence about it. Original decals on Original paint that had a nice shine to it. The inside of the tank was perfectly shiny clean it looked like brand-new. This bike was obviously well loved. All that was left was to roll it outside started it up and take a ride. Took about three or four seconds to start up, she sputtered a little, then smoothed out. (Well as much a thumper can smooth out!) PO said he hadn't started it in a couple of weeks. Anyway, all I needed to hear was that big piston slapping around in that big cylinder and I handed over the cash that was in my pocket ($1200). She rides like dream. Lightweight, well balanced with just the right amount of vibration to remind you you're on a thumper. I love it. Will try to forward pics in the next few days. Really looking forward to some adventures on this bike.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.

elite1 screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 10:55 AM
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #150
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

A cheap .ie...free mod for the exhaust. Remove the baffle by drilling out the rivets that hold it in. Then pull out the baffle. The end of the perforated tube has a plug. Find a hole saw the same size as the plug and drill out the end of the tube. Reinstall the baffle and rivet back in. Just a mild increase in tone and flow. Gets rid of that whisper chirp sound the stock one has. Not loud at all just a change in tone.

Ray

truck6driver screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 05:06 PM