Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
OK, Brian hasn't popped in to update us on his crash, lets just say he was making a run to the Ferry, he thought he was past the sand, and then got caught in a sandy bit and launched. His dignity was preserved and the only damage appeared to be his left mirror. I am sure there is more to it for Brian to embellish if he wants.

Monday Sept 10.

So last night it was windy like heck and rained hard. Ripped my tarp off my tent and flapped annoyingly in the night but otherwise no damage. So I put it back up to dry. Brian left his helmet on top of his tent so he had a soggy noggin through the day.

In the morning we woke up and everthing was damp. It was cold. But the sky was clear and it was beautiful watching the sun slowly rise high enough to bring sunshine to our campsite.

The abandoned log house in the background. Sun is nearly on us.

So we rode out on the gravel of Farwell Canyon Road. Where there was active grading the gravel was loose and muddy - but without grading it would have been probably muddier. Not much fun to ride to be honest - a big open gravel road, a muddy crapper. I am back on the heated vest. Brian because he has aggressive knobbies is causing a shit storm all over his back even with a fender

We dump out onto Highway 20 (Chilcotin-Bella Coola Highway) and ride north east to Williams Lake. This was probably the longest stretch in terms of gas to get to Williams Lake. Brian gave me a spot of gas along the way as he carried a spare container. Nevertheless I was stressed and worried about running out of gas along the way. I need to carry a litre or so of gas next time. The KLRs of Vito and Vlad did not seem to suffer from gas anxiety, they have a bit more capacity.

So after Williams Lake we took the highway further east to 150 Mile House where I topped-up again and then got on the gravel. It started to spit a bit during the day, we had sun, cloud, gray, etc but we avoided getting really rained on. We were back on the muddy stuff. Because my tires were worn, I really suffered here and felt at any moment I would go down. I had trouble keeping up and dropped further and further behind. Lots of little slips of the front wheel.

Some spots the gravel was drier and not too bad. Pretty countryside, harvesting for winter feed.

Finally we get to a decent section, a nice gravel road that was tight, twisty, flowing and not muddy. We all had fun as it was one of the few times where we could all ride close together. This was the entrance if I recall correctly. Because it was a bit damp I didn't bring my camera out to play much, nor did anyone else.

We also had a bit of road to ride...

And more gravel...

We are nearby our campsite and walk in a km or so to see Canim falls. Because we are at the end of the summer after a long dry spell there is not a lot of water. You can see areas of the falls that are dry, like on the left side.

there is a nice shot of the falls here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canim_falls.jpg

So we get to our campsite at the West Side of Mahood Lake in Wells Gray Park. It was really muddy on gravel to get here. Brian with all his worldly possessions:

I am always dicking around with my tarp, getting used to it...

Vito setting up his tent - aka the palace. Brian considered setting his up inside it.

The days effort:

cathulu screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 03:16 PM
cathulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 388
great report and love the pics...could this be doable on a bigger machine like the GSA??
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tuesday September 11

So today would be a transition day from threatening weather back to good. A front moving through was finally passing for good.

The view from our campsite last night of Mahood Lake.

Now in the morning, things don't look so gloomy. We are ready to depart.

Back on the gravel. We are riding east to Clearwater for food and to stock up on supplies. If I recall correctly this was an active logging road. Vito almost got schmucked by a logging truck.

We stop for breakfast at the Wells Gray Inn, Clearwater. Vito's license plate is completely obscured with mud.

Vlad, back problems largely behind him.

On the road again. We decide to skip the gravel out of Clearwater because of the potential for logging and head further east along Highway 5 - the Southern Yellowhead Highway. We get gas at Avola Service instead of our original plan to gas up at Blue River and retrace our steps back. Vito didn't think Avola Service would be open, lucky for us it was. Apparently a thread on BC Sportbike describes the guy at Avola Service as a "nut job". Well we didn't have a problem, other than he wanted to sell us a pile of jerky.

Soon after the gas-up we get back on the gravel and cross over to the Upper Adams River.

Our most Northern stop on the route. I was worried we would never turn south!

I found this cabin there - the inspiration no doubt for the horror film "the Cabin in the Woods" and many others...

From this point on we follow the gravel road as it winds south next to the Adams River. This river is one of the most important sockeye breeding areas in North America and has a famous salmon run. A photo of the surrounding mountains with the first snowfall dusting of the year.

The river is in the valley below. Surprising how much logging is going on around this salmon run. A corridor of trees are left standing between the river and the logging...

So I was following Vito, playing this little game where I was just flowing, not allowing myself to touch my brakes at all, using engine compression. It worked for a little while until I ran off-road, in a ditch and smashing through the scrub brush and stopped here. Lucky I didn't hit anything solid along the way.

The gravel continues south and at the end of the day we stop at Tsikwustum Creek campsite, also called Silviculture Camp on the north end of Adams Lake. We find a nice spot to set-up camp and go for a swim in the lake, Vlad style. The lake was cool and refreshing, not cold yet. The campsite is nearly empty, just a few hardy campers left. Things shut down after Labour Day fast!

A nearby neighbour to us had cut a lot of wood near the beach into nice logs. We didn't know and took most thinking it was left behind - so here we are on the lake with the campfire blazing nicely.

Later our neighbour goes to find most of his wood gone. We say sorry and offer him some of his wood back. He didn't take any I guess because he had enough for the night. Just to be sure Vlad went over to make peace. I think Vlad got a beer out of it... Our neighbour was a nice guy.

The GPS:
Untitled

Later that night things got real freaky...

More later...

cathulu screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 05:35 PM
Old 10-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
great report and love the pics...could this be doable on a bigger machine like the GSA??

I think so, the only area that stood out to me as definitely not doable was the Mud Lakes ' Poison Mountain area due to the steep slopes up and down - but that can be skipped. There was a crossing where the road was out at the Gang Ranch that might be difficult but doable on the GSA.

Oh and the sand at Big Bar ferry would be a challenge.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
I did the Adams Lake road on my R100S and my buddy used his R100RS.......so I think a GS could easily do that section.

The worst thing we encountered on the Adams Lake road were the bugs........mosquitos were bloody horrible when I did the route!

In regards to the 7th picture for September 11............I did not know that a KLR could break traction in dirt???

Keep the report coming.....this is great!!

Cheers
Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
Duas Rodas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
I did the Adams Lake road on my R100S and my buddy used his R100RS.......so I think a GS could easily do that section.

The worst thing we encountered on the Adams Lake road were the bugs........mosquitos were bloody horrible when I did the route!

In regards to the 7th picture for September 11............I did not know that a KLR could break traction in dirt???

Keep the report coming.....this is great!!

Cheers
Yea the bugs can get pretty nasty in some of these areas at certain times of the year...just another reason why September is great for these kind of trips. A lot less bugs at the end of summer

Wow! I didn't know a KLR could do that! Obviously Vlad has better technic than me...got to ask him what the secret is.
Duas Rodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #22
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry to break your bubble... Vlad just disturbed the moist gravel below cause his bike was so heavy

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Scooter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Ah ! Reminiscing about the good times had.

Yes the Deep sand going to the Big Bar Ferry was interesting. The top part was like I had ski's instead of wheel's on the bike. The deep sand drew you to the left and all you could do was hopefully ride it out. I made that part then passed the people in the stuck Van. I thought the last hill would be Ok, so I picked up a little speed. Down I went. The bike pointed down the cliff. The interesting part was trying to rock/throttle the bike off the cliff face. A bit intense as it kept slipping towards the edge. One left broken mirror down and I was on my way. Later on in the trip the busted mirror almost caused an accident. I stopped and veered left to look back for the other guy's and Chris almost took me out.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Ah ! Reminiscing about the good times had.

Yes the Deep sand going to the Big Bar Ferry was interesting. The top part was like I had ski's instead of wheel's on the bike. The deep sand drew you to the left and all you could do was hopefully ride it out. I made that part then passed the people in the stuck Van. I thought the last hill would be Ok, so I picked up a little speed. Down I went. The bike pointed down the cliff. The interesting part was trying to rock/throttle the bike off the cliff face. A bit intense as it kept slipping towards the edge. One left broken mirror down and I was on my way. Later on in the trip the busted mirror almost caused an accident. I stopped and veered left to look back for the other guy's and Chris almost took me out.
I know that feeling. I have now switched to mirrors that are on RAM mounts, nice sized and dont move when tightened down. well dont move unless you put some real pressure into them. They are some great mirrors and I recommend them.
http://www.doubletakemirror.com/build/suzuki I use the long arm mount . the mirrors can be tucked away or removed by lossening 1 thumbscrew.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathulu View Post
I think so, the only area that stood out to me as definitely not doable was the Mud Lakes ' Poison Mountain area due to the steep slopes up and down - but that can be skipped. There was a crossing where the road was out at the Gang Ranch that might be difficult but doable on the GSA.

Oh and the sand at Big Bar ferry would be a challenge.
I have been riding my GS1100 over all that route since 1997 and think a skilled rider would have no real problem. I led a group of 22 BMW GS's over the China Head/Big Bar route with no significant issues in 1998 (BC Canyons Rally)...and as recently as July, 2012 led 20 dual sporters over the same route....it is my favourite BC ride

High bar Road (bench road south of Big Bar Ferry):

West of China Head Pass (north end of Yalokum Valley):

Tyax Lodge Camping:

The mud up around Gang Ranch and Farwell Canyon can be like soup when it has rained

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #26
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wednesday September 12

OK where was I? Oh ya, we woke up to a beautiful morning. Weather was back on track.

Had a bit of brekky... I had to yell to get their attention hence the bit of shocked look

One last trip down to the beach... and found these.

And we are back on our way. This was a fun stretch of gravel on the way to Shuswap Lake.

We gassed up here, at Daniels Store and Marina, in Seymour Arm - the Northern tip of Lake Shuswap. This marina ain't on google maps! They have a facebook page though. The gal that works / owns this place is a charm. Real fun lady and used to all the whippersnapers that show-up, so she easily bested us when it came to joking around and having one on.

They have a well stocked store and also sell liquor, place gets real busy in the summer, but after labour day things drop off. Lucky they are even open. Totally recommend this as a gas stop. Something like 60 people live here year round.

Anyways the gas is good.

So our plan was to take the North Fork Forest Service Road and run with it down the Perry River to Highway 1 then slab it to Revelstoke. But the road was closed, had been for a few years even though the Province is supposed to fix it. We were contemplating going for it anyways... but reason prevailed.

We took the Gorge Forest Service Road which parallels the North Fork and has some nice views of Shuswap Lake as a bonus. The road was a lot of fun, but got busier and more active with logging the closer we got to Highway 1.

Typical gravel.

Active logging

View of lake Shuswap. Very nice.

Roadside flowers, late summer. My soft and tender side.

We stop for a break

Running down the active logging road. This took us to Highway 1.

We ride into Revelstoke and get a room at the Swiss Chalet Motel. No they don't serve chicken there.

While figuring out where we are going to stay, some Tourism Revelstoke guy took our picture, who knows, next year we might end up in the travel guide. They want more motorcycles to be featured.

The Km for the day.

We walk into Revelstoke for dinner. Revelstoke is famous for sleds and skiing. It has fantastic natural beauty. It is a nice little town.

Dinner at the Village Idiot. We had a good time. The young handsome guy was a nephew of Vlad iirc. Vlad knows someone seemingly in all corners of BC.

Then bed.

cathulu screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 04:45 PM
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #27
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thursday September 13

Well it was clear we were not going to complete the full route as shown below, we just don't have enough time - we are not making enough kms each day. We are old pansies in other words.

So we decide it is time to make our way home a different route. This was a bit disappointing but necessary. We pack-up for departure.

And get back on Highway 1, this time heading back the way we came. Heading west. We don't get very far before we are stopped for bridge work.

We stop for a quick pic at 3 Valley Gap. There is a lake there that gets quite windy. We passed a powered-up windsurfer. My second off-road bike tour and again I see a windsurfer. Cool.

Around 3 Valley Gap we get off Highway 1 and back on the gravel - our destination is the 3 Valley Mabel Forest Service Road. You can see an old cabin on the way there.

The view from the old cabin.

A butterfly lands on my luggage. A Lorquin's Admiral... learn something new every day.

Yes we are going the right way. The road at km 0.

Then we run into this on the gravel. This is Clark Stucktruck's tire. His name was Clark, I gave him the Stucktruck appellation.

We try and help him out, but some twit overtightened his wheel nuts. They are stuck on something fierce. Despite all of our efforts, we only were able to loosen off one nut. I figure Stucktruck couldn't get the nuts off and tried to ride out on the flat, and totally destroyed his tire. Also his wheel studs by the sound of things.

We got help for him in the small community of Enderby. Not sure how it all ended-up. The cost for a tow is very high - more than $500 bucks - and the tow truck drivers don't want to drive out unless they know they will get paid. A stand-off.

One thing I learned is that Bell has the best cellphone coverage in BC. I was the only guy to have coverage many times. Rogers and Telus just don't have it.

On the road to Enderby for lunch and to help Stucktruck, we run into our own problems. Vlad gets a flat. Fixed very quickly.

Next we have a long road section, we don't get back on the trails for a while. We roll through Armstrong BC and on to Highway 97 to get on the Douglas Lake Road.

This guy in the Rona truck toasts his tire and comes to a stop. We smelt it burning for a couple of km while he drove on for a safe place to stop.

Douglas Lake Road in the woods. It would later open up on the plateau. Scenic route, gravel very fast in the open.

Cockpit shots on the Douglas Lake Road. Pick your weapon.
Brian's Machine, busted mirror from his Big Bend Ferry get off.

Vito's cockpit

Vlad's cockpit

My Cockpit. The chalkbag covers my gopro.

Douglas Lake Cattle Company

This gravel was very fast. I won't say how fast to avoid incriminating myself.

The gravel turns to paved twisty road, which was also lots of fun. A nice change... which eventually lead to our campsite at the Monck Provincial Park on Nicola Lake. A nice spot for Brian to set-up. We all take our own sites. We camp in the closed section of the site, to get away from the RVs and to help with Brian's severe dog allergy.

Our plan: pay for the site, and leave no trace. Hence we need no facilities. We can walk to the washrooms. So we don't care that where we camp is closed. But of course there is somebody else that always does...

The view from Vito's tent. Not to be enjoyed for long...

The km.

Lies! Suffice to say we moved our campsite at the request of Park's staff, which was justified with Lies! Outright, damnable lies, the lies of a bureaucrat.

They did not heed my suggestion to come back in the morning with the cops to feel even better and kick us out.

At least that would have left us in peace for a good nights sleep. So we end up camping with the RVs.

In the end it all worked out OK and we had a good laugh and nursed a drink or two. We were in the wrong, and our poor judgement was corrected. Another life lesson learned... man I am getting to old to keep making mistakes. When will I learn? Never!

cathulu screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 05:15 PM
Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #28
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Great report Chris, but I have a few more unwanted comments!

- Adams Lake morning shot looks very cold. Is that a mosquito in front of Vito's face???

- The North Fork FSR road only had 17km's of washouts. How bad could it possibly be? You guys are fags for not taking it!

- You certainly picked an appropriately named spot for dinner in Revelstoke!

- When you left Revelstoke in the morning, why did you wait behind all the other traffic at the bridge construction?
Motorcycles always go to the front...............Fags!!

- When you were helping Clark Stucktruck to remove his wheel, did you forget that Chevy's right rear wheel is a left hand thread??

- I think Vlad needs a new pair of proctology gloves after repairing his flat tire!

- At Nicola Lake, why didn't you just tell the Ranger to FO and shoot him with bear spray?? Fags!!

Keep up the great report...............this looks like it was an epic ride!!

Cheers

Droptarotter screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 04:02 PM
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #29
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883

You guys picked a nice loop to ride....so much to see....so little time...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
enjoying your report and the unwanted comments
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote