Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
Syscrush
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 38
A buddy of mine tipped me off to an XB12XT for sale after I mentioned that this would probably be exactly the right bike for me, and now reading stuff like this thread has me about ready to pull the trigger...

After a series of logical motorcycle purchase decisions, I was pretty keen on the idea of getting something dumb (like a Brutale 675 or a custom CBX)... But when I really think about what those bikes would be like to live with, and what they'd cost compared to the Uly-T, my commitment to stupidity starts to really waver.
Syscrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
Taglioni
1200 8V

Oddometer: 12
Uly

Nice bike, hopefully you can make it down east with your buddy, then we go for a much overdue tour together...well we're in the same boat, two new bikes and winter upon us...I guess this will be an exercise in patience, but I've waited 30 years, so what's another 5 months,,,this is my first 'post' on adv. rider...
Taglioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Congrats on the 10. I picked up an 08 this year and put a quick 8k on the clock and decided this is a keeper. Sold the 10 Multistrada. It is technically a superior bike but as a Harley guy I never got used to spooling up to over 10k RPM. ( although it gets interesting when you do). My 3rd Buell and the maintenance is as mentioned stupid simple.
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
996DL OP
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglioni View Post
Nice bike, hopefully you can make it down east with your buddy, then we go for a much overdue tour together...well we're in the same boat, two new bikes and winter upon us...I guess this will be an exercise in patience, but I've waited 30 years, so what's another 5 months,,,this is my first 'post' on adv. rider...
Welcome stalker, a Guzzi Norge has little to do with your chosen adv moniker,
you "old" bevelheader...

Come out west and I'll attempt to show you what a Uly can do to a Guzzi in the Rockies.

And Brucifer will probably blow by both of us, mid corner on his ST...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Congrats on the Uly. I just brought home my first Buell on weds, 06 Ulysses w/67k miles. I love it!

- sent from my graphing calculator
Old 10-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,541
Have fun with your new bike.

I love my '09.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,197
It's funny how riders seem to "discover" the Uly in waves like this. Every 6 months or so there seems to be a rash of used Uly purchases and riders find out what a great bike this is.

HOPEFULLY when the EBR 2013 1190AX (rumored to be introduced any day now for sale next year) hits the dealerships, we'll see a lot of motorcyclists who never set foot in an HD/Buell dealership give EBR serious consideration. One huge factor is these dealers WON'T have salesmen saying "yea, we have Buells, but why would you want one of those when you can buy a REAL bike?"

I just keep thinking "If Erik Buell could pull off the Uly under Harley's thumb, what kind of ADV bike will he build now that he's unconstrained?"
Old 10-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
996DL OP
Buell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post

EBR 2013 1190AX

I just keep thinking "If Erik Buell could pull off the Uly under Harley's thumb, what kind of ADV bike will he build now that he's unconstrained?"
1190 Rotax power, with Erik's sense of humour, should mean more rwhp than a Multistrada and without the daunting desmodromics. Not what I'm after, but a dynamite segment bike, for power hungry customers.

996DL

Finally back to a bike, that's as enjoyable to sit back and ogle, as it is to ride.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #24
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
1190 Rotax power, with Erik's sense of humour, should mean more rwhp than a Multistrada and without the daunting desmodromics. Or the Multistrada's weight.

996DL

Finally back to a bike, that's as enjoyable to sit back and ogle, as it is to ride.

Have fun riding when you're done ogling.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglioni View Post
Welcome to the asylum Tag. I picked up my first Buell a couple of months ago. '09 XB12X with 1500 miles on it. 4200 now and I'm loving it. It's a real can do anything bike. I'm no more than 2 hours from the Niagara parkway and don't consider the season done for nice bikes until the salt trucks come out.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #26
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
Weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
(Multistrada weight)
Amen to that! As a 2010 MTS1200S owner, I get tired of people praising the Multi for its LIGHTNESS! Fully wet, but no luggage, it's 520 lb on my scale (owner's manual says 423 lb excluding center stand & battery...hah!)

Yes, most of the current "ADV" bikes are heavier, but that's no praise. By comparison, my '06 Uly is 515 lb in the same condition.

Dunno that Erik's latest creation will be all that light, but boy, anything lighter would sure be appreciated.

I guess that's why the name of this sub-forum is BEASTS...

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,197
Any of you "new" Uly owners who don't already have the "Comfort Kit" installed, I just saw this posted to Badweb:

http://www.grharley.com/Buell_Ulysse.../m1907.1ak.htm

Apparently they have a few in stock. If you're not aware, the "Comfort Kit" consisted of a right side scoop that funnels air to the rear cylinder head, an under-seat "duct" that directs hot air from the cooling fan downward and away from the seat, and a heat shield for the rear exhaust pipe. This was standard on the 2010 bikes but is a great addition to earlier bikes.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,876
I'm glad you like your new ride, but the DL couldn't have been that bad - you named yourself after it... I am curious, you must have liked it once upon a time - why the change?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #29
996DL OP
Buell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I'm glad you like your new ride, but the DL couldn't have been that bad - you named yourself after it... I am curious, you must have liked it once upon a time - why the change?
The 996 motor's to die for, the rest not so much.
I posted my DL impressions, in the first post on this thread.

Nuff said.

996DL
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,094
Laugh

So when are you changing your name to XB12X?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote