Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,131
Compact/Midsize trucks

In the market. I'm looking to replace a 2004 Dodge Dakota. It's been a good truck. A great truck actually. It's just time to move on so I'm looking around. I'd love to find a truck about the same size or smaller that gets half way decent gas mileage. I mean, it's 2012. These guys could do it if they wanted to. Anyway, I suppose anything will be an upgrade from my 15 mpg V8.

I don't want/need a V8. I don't haul anything. This isn't a work truck (although work owns it). It's my daily driver when not on the bike. I like trucks, cos I like trucks, but I do find myself moving things around for work quite often, but I guess I'd consider something else. I'm just not a car guy though...

Chevrolet Colorado?

Toyota Tacoma?

Nissan Frontier

This review shows Toyota out ahead of the pack.

Thoughts?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
In the market. I'm looking to replace a 2004 Dodge Dakota. It's been a good truck. A great truck actually. It's just time to move on so I'm looking around. I'd love to find a truck about the same size or smaller that gets half way decent gas mileage. I mean, it's 2012. These guys could do it if they wanted to. Anyway, I suppose anything will be an upgrade from my 15 mpg V8.

I don't want/need a V8. I don't haul anything. This isn't a work truck (although work owns it). It's my daily driver when not on the bike. I like trucks, cos I like trucks, but I do find myself moving things around for work quite often, but I guess I'd consider something else. I'm just not a car guy though...

Chevrolet Colorado?

Toyota Tacoma?

Nissan Frontier

This review shows Toyota out ahead of the pack.

Thoughts?
Except the Colorado, unless you get a truck older than the one you already have, these are bigger than the Dakota you have now, and not likely to do any better on fuel with any of them.

Here in the US the small pickup went extinct with the end of the Ford Ranger. I have one that is and has been a great little truck, but it isn't that great on mileage either. If I was looking, I would include the F-150 and the Dodge 1500.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post

Here in the US the small pickup went extinct with the end of the Ford Ranger.
Yeah. It's a real bummer.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,211
I bought a new 2007 Tacoma Sport, V6/auto, double cab, long bed and could not be happier. It is paid for and trouble free. I expect to have it for a long, long time. The last tank was 21mpg. Pay it up-front or later on, it has been a wonderful purchase. Zero regrets.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
My truck is an 07 FJ Cruiser. Pretty much exactly the same as a V6 Tacoma, but an SUV. I'm at 5 years and 100000 problem free miles. Just a few wear and tear items replaced, but nothing major or expensive.

Used to get 21 mpg, with mods I've made it worse. I love it.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Bought an 04 Canyon crew cab last year. I 5 has pretty good power and gets good mileage on the highway if I keep the tach at 1500 rpm. Approx 55 mph.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Trail Ryder
Your Hero

Oddometer: 1,032
Wink

Dad and I both owned first-year Chevy Colorados. Good trucks. I miss mine.
Trail Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
Wish I could say the same. I bought a 2007 Colorado new right after college. Most disappointing vehicle purchase yet. Paper thin paint that chipped and scratched way too easily, soft, cheap plastic interior you can gouge with your fingernail, and seat foam shavings covering the floor.

I didn't have any problems mechanically, and for a 4-cylinder, it had decent power. I was just underwhelmed by the build quality. Turned me off GM products. I traded it for a 10-yr old Tundra and never looked back.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,085
I like my Ridgeline
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=39326

Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Bought our 2011 Toyota Tacoma new last year. Love the truck! 4wd, 4 cyl, 5 speed, regular cab. I've seen fuel economy reach up to almost 22 mpg. I've only out 6600 miles on it in a year, but it's been great in the snow, rain and offroad where it schooled some other Tacoma drivers with fully built rigs. ;)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
I was disappointed that the Colorado was larger than the S-10. And when I looked at a first-year model, there appeared to be rust traps built into the bed, especially where the front bulkhead and the floor met. It looked like a place where there should have been a bead of seam sealer. If nothing else, it was going to trap water, grit, small drill bits, etc., and be a pain to clean out. And the Transformers styling never did anything for me.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,154
Up until just a little over a year ago I owned a 2008 Tacoma regular-cab 4wd, 4cyl, 5speed, very basic, cost about 18K new, traded it last October for 17K after putting over 30K miles on it. I decided I needed something bigger and went with the Tundra, but that's a whole different deal.

If I were in the market for a small basic truck now I'd not hesitate to get another Tacoma. I'd probably go with the extended cab (not the double) in order to have some inside storage space and emergency passenger room, but other than that I'd go with the 4cyl. A good friend of mine has one and loves it. My BIL got a Tacoma Double-cab with the 6cyl automatic, and complains that his mileage sucks.....but other than that he likes it. But the 4cyl Tacomas are pretty gutless, it goes from zero to 70 in about a half an hour.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
I like my Ridgeline as well, 2007 RTX and I got 19+ mpg the last time I checked, combined city and highway. It does all that I have asked of it with Honda reliability.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
Bought our 2011 Toyota Tacoma new last year. Love the truck! 4wd, 4 cyl, 5 speed, regular cab. I've seen fuel economy reach up to almost 22 mpg. I've only out 6600 miles on it in a year, but it's been great in the snow, rain and offroad where it schooled some other Tacoma drivers with fully built rigs. ;)
I have a 2012 access cab in the same configuration. Good truck, up to 25 mpg, but generally gets 21 in mixed driving. I've put 14k on it since buying new in march. No complaints, even in the power department. I didn't buy it to go fast - that's what the B12 is for.

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
AC Swank
Banned

Oddometer: 9,641
Isn't the Chevy Colorado being discontinued after this model year?
AC Swank is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: