User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
2WDnut OP
2WDnut

Oddometer: 16
Seeking old KAROO's....

First time post, so not sure if there is a more appropriate forum catergory for my request, but here goes....

I'm looking for an obsolete tyre, a Metzler KAROO 100/90-19 front - I'll grab 1/2 dozen if I can find them. Pls note, the new KAROO 2 / KAROO T is not what I'm looking for, I'm looking for the old "more aggressive" pattern KAROO 100/90-19.

I found one (new) in a dingy corner of a shop in Melbourne ( Oz ) and just missed out on a couple more that got tossed when a new owner took over. If I that's the case in Melbourne, there must be more about, even some in
the back corner of home garages about the place ?

Of course, there's a remote possibility that somewhere in the world they are still being sold ? Any leads appreciated.......
2WDnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,721
Why do you want them? Because you think you're going to get a deal on discontinued tires or because they offered some amazing performance that you don't think you can get in another tire?

Can you get the Continental TKC-80 tires down there? Looks very similar to me and I absolutely love them off road and on pavement.

Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
2WDnut OP
2WDnut

I wouldn't be looking to airfreight tyres half way around the globe if price was my reason....... Yep, the Conti TDK 80's look pretty good, they're a bit deeper in the tread than the "MITAS E-09 Dakar" but still not neraly as aggressive as the old 19" KAROO "1". I run 21" KAROO 2's on the front of my KTM950 and they're only just up to the job in slippery stuff.

My reason for being so set on this tyre.........I'm playing around with a new 2WD system and I need a "proper" off-road 19" tyre around the 660mm OD. The KAROO "1" ticks all the boxes, except the slight complication that it's no longer available. I have a wide choice of 19" rears, but they're all a little too tall and a little too wide.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
welcome to the forum Ian

jusy had an idea for you, if your plan works and you need more 19" fronts maybe you could speak to a tyre retread company.
I remeber seeing a article about a small company in wa (i thhink) that retread dirt bike tyres for a reasonable price.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WDnut View Post
I'm playing around with a new 2WD system and I need a "proper" off-road 19" tyre around the 660mm OD.
Ahh! That was going to be my next guess.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
http://www.mxretreads.com.au/index.php
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
2WDnut OP
2WDnut

Gotta say, I didn't realise that the knobby retread guys were still in business, I sorta figured that the high aussie dollar would have killed them off. So yes, that is an option, but it still means making a 19" mould with the desired pattern - and being a toolmaker by trade, I know how expensive that is ! But then on the other hand, I have enough gear in my workshop to do it myself......

My hope is that my 2WD design will not be overly sensitive to tyre choice, but I'd also like to cover the possibility that it may be.

Here's something else to throw out into the mix........ from my lurking over the years, many ADVrider "inmates" appear to very knowledgeable and well connected......so...... what is the opinion of the inmates as to the possibility of talking Metzler into doing a run of KAROO "1's" for me ? What sort of quantities would be involved ? 500 - 1,000 - 5,000 ? Given their cost, I would think that the moulds aren't thrown out and doing another run of them shouldn't be a major exercise ? Does anyone have any contacts high up in Metzler ?