Take that spring out and you've got cruise control
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #6152
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
Amazon had the shim kit for $54.00 & Free shipping from powersport superstore. Woot

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
Good price.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #6153
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Originally Posted by offworlder
Replaced the headlight bulb in my 2010 690, thinking the old bulb had simply burnt out. The new bulb fired up for a few seconds then quickly died. Checked the voltage at the (lighting wiring) terminals, seems solid, non-intemittent; approx 12+ volts with the engine off, and 14+ volts with the engine running, no shorts between the high and low beams, etc...

Any ideas from the collective ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Have a look at the regulator, loose grounds, intermittent shorts - look specifically for rubbed insulation. The latter two can cause voltage spikes.a

Seems strange that the parking light, signals, etc... are all fine (as they use the same fuse as the headlight)....
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #6154
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Headlight

Not to be a guy who responds with an immediatley negative comment, and then post what may be an unreasonable solution but my thoughts..

Stock headlight is garbage, and useless. Had mine for 3 years, but never rode at night, this summer I started too, and realized it for the hazard it was. Too easy to get over your head with a light that's only good for 40 kms per hour or so...
I went through 2 bulbs myself, and rather quickly although I just wrote it off as poor judgement by KTM by putting a bulb and system in the bike that is not "quality", and is there strictly for show.

That's the negative..

The solution?

For my was the Lynx kit from Britannia Composites. Great (awesome) lighting and a functional, adjustable windscreen all in one. It costs money, but allows you to ride at night with confidence, to see better, and to be seen better as well by oncoming.

My opinion is forget the stock light, I'm not "hardcore" by any stretch of the imagination, but the stock light agreeably cannot be used for evening riding, to dim, hard to make out hazards on the flattest of surfaces.

Big Money to spend on the 690 to purchase for most, including me which was why I sat in denial so long and did multiple 2500 km trips with a stock 690. Don't wait like me, look for improved, reliable lighting (Lynx is my vote for value, service, look, fit and finish!) But there are other options. Money well spent, and will open you up to many more riding opportunities!

Even pavement riding will kill the filament in the bulbs used in the stock housing, let alone the shake rattle and roll of even the mildest offroad methinks.

Of course, this is advice from the guy who still hasn't chased down his own gremlin with the stalling, but snow and an unheated garage has dimmed my interest and my wits of late

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #6155
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFS View Post
Stock headlight is garbage, and useless. Had mine for 3 years, but never rode at night, this summer I started too, and realized it for the hazard it was. Too easy to get over your head with a light that's only good for 40 kms per hour or so...
I went through 2 bulbs myself, and rather quickly although I just wrote it off as poor judgement by KTM by putting a bulb and system in the bike that is not "quality", and is there strictly for show.

The solution?

For my was the Lynx kit from Britannia Composites. Great (awesome) lighting and a functional, adjustable windscreen all in one. It costs money, but allows you to ride at night with confidence, to see better, and to be seen better as well by oncoming.
MFS
Agree that the stocker sucks (2012 is supposed to be better, similar to the 08 "E"), but I digress. I do know Ian (Brittania composites), and the Lynx is a great product.

Nonetheless, while I may go with a 3rd party lighting system at some point, I dont ride at night, and simply want to figure out why the stocker is shorting....

Thanks.
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #6156
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,860
The light on my 08E is MUCH better than that borrowed light from the RFS bikes they used between 09 and 11.

A couple aux LEDs and you're turning the night into day with low amp draw
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #6157
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 840
For what its worth, if you run the headlight on main beam only (as opposed to dipped), they last 3 times as long. I have an orange lense protector fitted to my light, so I can get away with it, you may not. I have had as little as 2 weeks on the dipped before it blew. Its more a shit bulb spec than a poor light, although I have some conserns about the reflector as well. I'm converting mine to a Rally Raid UK fairing kit, so that's 1 less issue to deal with.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #6158
daveknievel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
My 09 R model had the 35w bulb. It blew out and i replaced with a 60w. Bad idea. Melted the housing. Now i use the trailtech X2 halogen. But the low beam was shit in that too. Replaced that bulb with a severe duty one and has been fine since.
daveknievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #6159
toniton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostridergary View Post
Hi Harty

I made this one for about 10 (bit of simple soldering) for my 2008e - cable tied near handlebars - still have to cycle ignition on and off though

Credit to this bloke..... http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/technical-...-selector.html

Cheers
I can't see the first photo. Do you have photo of the wire from the front to the switch under the seat?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #6160
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,144
I heard that the 14 models were completely ride by wire. You sit on a couch and use an Xbox controller to ride the bike.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #6161
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I heard that the 14 models were completely ride by wire. You sit on a couch and use an Xbox controller to ride the bike.
'15 will be ride by wi-fi.

Heard it from the owner of my neighborhood grocery shop.
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #6162
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Awesome. I won't need to replace the seat.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #6163
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I have heard that the ride-by-wire system is coming to the 690 Enduro models in 2013, can anybody confirm or deny that?

Here is some more info for those that have no idea what I'm talking about:
Ride-by-wire will be the standard for all bikes in the next few years.
Good? Bad? I don't know.
Anyway I think that a true rbw could be better than the hybrid solution currently installed on the 690 enduro.
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #6164
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurizio View Post
Ride-by-wire will be the standard for all bikes in the next few years.
Good? Bad? I don't know.
Anyway I think that a true rbw could be better than the hybrid solution currently installed on the 690 enduro.
Better how? With the current solution you are relying on the (easy to fix) mechanical cables, if the electric motor fails it will simply not override the butterfly in some situations any more but will still run fine.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #6165
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Going back to the shims discussion, I rode up to the nearest Harley Dealership (which was less than a mile, these things are popping up like corner stores) to pick up some shims for an intake rocker replacement.

This was the parking lot. You can just BARELY see my bike hiding behind that 4runner.

Yup, I was the only bike there...