Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #14821
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Crap, see I'm doing it all wrong. I have the same setup but haven't been charging my riding buddies a damn thing to change their tires.
Mine paid for itself in 3-1/2 months.

I tried to get the shop I used to work at to buy a No-Mar. They wouldn't do it. With what one set of scratched wheels cost them, they could've paid for the machine. Some people just don't get it, which is why they're nearly out of business (from ~100 sales a month down to ~13 a month). *shakes head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I wish you were in the Bay Area... I'd come to you for service. I love OCD mechanics...

JG
Thanks!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #14822
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Opps fixed :)
Man... It was funnier the other way...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #14823
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Man... It was funnier the other way...

JG
We did have a San Diego Back Country Adventure Route ride was a lot of Fun!!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764981

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1838782&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1838782&type=3
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #14824
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Pulling to the right??

Seems like my Tiger XC wants to constantly pull to the right. It never really bothered me on day rides.....but, just completed a 3k mile ride to the Ozarks (which has fantastic twisties by the way) and when slabbing it home to South Texas, it became a PIA.

In other words, while going 70-80 mph down the highway, if you take your hands off the bars......the bike will start to drift to the right. Which means I'm constantly having to push forward on the left bar (with light pressure)....or pull back on the right bar....(i.e., counter steering) to keep the bike going straight.

I love this bike, but would really like to resolve this issue.

Does everyones Tiger do this? Is there a fix?

Thanks!
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #14825
Jeuneyer
He don't say much.

Oddometer: 68
Easy fix for the issue you are having is to lean to the left....
Jeuneyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #14826
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
Seems like my Tiger XC wants to constantly pull to the right. It never really bothered me on day rides.....but, just completed a 3k mile ride to the Ozarks (which has fantastic twisties by the way) and when slabbing it home to South Texas, it became a PIA.

In other words, while going 70-80 mph down the highway, if you take your hands off the bars......the bike will start to drift to the right. Which means I'm constantly having to push forward on the left bar (with light pressure)....or pull back on the right bar....(i.e., counter steering) to keep the bike going straight.

Thanks!
Mine doesn't do this unless you consider the crown in the road. Most lanes will slope slightly to the right for drainage even if they appear to be flat. I don't take my hands off the bars, usually but when I owned a BMW R1200RT with cruise control, I used to set the cruise, put my feet up on the highway pegs, lean back with my hands off the bars and try to just cruise down the road. It was pretty bloody amazing how much body english it took to keep the damn bike going straight. So much so that I would just give up the calisthenics and place one hand or one finger is all it took to make simple corrections to the bars to keep the bike running straight.

Check your front end alignment and rear wheel alignment to make sure both wheels are running true and in line.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #14827
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:

Thanks!
Nothing like that with mine...I've got an O-ring between the bar end and the handgrip to act as a poor-man's (read KLR owner's) cruise control and unless there is a very pronounced crown in the road, I can ride with both hands off the bars pretty much indefinitely. If there is an unusually pronounces crown in the road, a little body english can keep me going straight.

Might want to check your rear wheel alignment. Have you or a dealer adjusted chain tension?

Cheers
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #14828
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,515
The Breeze, my XC has always pulled to the right. I installed a LeoVince muffler & I can barely notice it now. BTW, I use a tape measure to aline the rear. I've never trusted those marks.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #14829
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Pulling to the right??

Thanks for the quick responses!

At first I thought it was the crown of the road, but I've tested several scenario's based on the camber/crown of the road. Pretty much takes a strong side wind to keep my bike going straight.

I used a Motion Pro alignment tool to check to ensure that the rear was aligned properly....and the dots on the rear stops definitely are not correct. I think I'll recheck the alignment on front and rear again.

The weight of the muffler seems to make a lot of sense. The stock can is pretty damn heavy hanging of the right side of the bike. May have a new/lighter can in my future
Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #14830
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
The Breeze, my XC has always pulled to the right. I installed a LeoVince muffler & I can barely notice it now. BTW, I use a tape measure to aline the rear. I've never trusted those marks.

Do you happen to know the weight of the stock can vs. the LeoVince???
Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #14831
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiganDaft View Post
It's from a company in South Africa called "Aerotrim".
www.aerotrim.co.za.
Very easy to fit.
I found that although I didn't have any buffeting, I did have a lot of wind noise, now, it is very quiet.
FWIW, I bought this and put it on my tiger. It was $90 shipped from the US distributor and the guy shipped it out quickly. I am 5'9" and have my seat in the high position. This went on a std. screen. Wind turbulence was reduced quite a lot. Big difference in the force on the helmet when turning to check for a clear lane at 70mph +. Noise is still a little high but with ear plugs it's tolerable. Different helmets can make a big difference in noise so I see curing the turbulence as a little more universal. Using Arai RX-Q fwiw.

I have a modified low position that I use for the summer and when just commuting which gives me pretty clean air but for the highway and/or cooler weather I prefer more wind blockage and this aerotrim piece is a significant improvement over just the std. screen and its also better than the high triumph screen IMO.

I bought an adjustable mount for the std screen which should be here shortly and hopefully I can fine tune things a little more.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #14832
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,515
Quote:
Do you happen to know the weight of the stock can vs. the LeoVince???
No, but I was told the LV is less than half the weight of the stock muffler. The stock muffler would make a good boat anchor.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #14833
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,264
Quote:

Thanks!
A pull to the right means the front wheel is too far to the right, and needs to move left in respect to the hub. Using 1/4 turns of the spoke wrench, loosen all the spokes on the "from" side, then tighten all the spokes on the "to" side. Test ride, and repeat if condition still exists. This may take a half dozen or more iterations to get right, but doing it in small steps mitigates the possibility of putting the wheel out of true.

Doing this fixed my "right pull" issue; the bike now tracks straight as an arrow on level ground with hands off bars.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #14834
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
A pull to the right means the front wheel is too far to the right, and needs to move left in respect to the hub. Using 1/4 turns of the spoke wrench, loosen all the spokes on the "from" side, then tighten all the spokes on the "to" side. Test ride, and repeat if condition still exists. This may take a half dozen or more iterations to get right, but doing it in small steps mitigates the possibility of putting the wheel out of true.

Doing this fixed my "right pull" issue; the bike now tracks straight as an arrow on level ground with hands off bars.
Excellent I'll try it and report back.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #14835
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,135
If it was indeed the weight of the muffler (insignificant in the big scheme of things) then you would be leaning left to balance it and it would pull left, not right.

Regarding weight, every one likes to make these grand claims about weight savings by replacing a factory muffler. They do it ad infinitem on the husky forums for the 630 as well.

So let's say you drop 8lbs for one, or 15lbs for two (mufflers, the husky has two), and 4lbs by ditching the stock battery for a Shorai...so about 20-25lbs or so, right? So you have a 450lb pig instead of a 475lb pig, and then pile gear and racks and all that crap on it. Same for the husky, so you have a 310 bike instead of 330. Wow. And you only spent about $60 per lb to do that. Most guys will say the money is better spent on a gym membership and/or rider training. A GSA or a S10 are still another 100-150lbs. I wonder if they use the same logic...

Oh, and then you don a 7lb adventure jacket and put a 3L hydration pack on your back. Sheesh!!