Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #10471
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Hey Bob, thanks for the photo of "Captain Hook".
Did you feel that quake?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #10472
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey Bob, thanks for the photo of "Captain Hook".
Did you feel that quake?
Slapshot, great movie. Quake. Ya I felt something but I think it may have been related to the amount of wine I drank
last night

CBC headline. "
'Like a massive wind': B.C. earthquake stories

Some people in the lower mainland think they felt something but I think the party was too far north. Except for the massive wind thing, which for me was wine related, I felt nothing , of course feeling nothing may have been wine related as well
Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #10473
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Wine?
I've gone "vegan" down here.
And it is the last damn time I ask the Mystery Rider if the mushrooms are safe to eat.

Things started out ok, but got a little pear shaped around the time we hit the state line.
I kind of lost track if we were coming or going.

"By the time we got to Perote, we were half a million strong..."

Took the stairway to visit the burro and the ice machine...

And you thought I was kidding!

Beer marketing knows no boundaries, especially when they paint over the Superior advertising.

Couldn't decide whether this was a launching pad or a landing zone

Mission control...no problems here, Houston.

The Mystery Rider was playing Quasimodo

The reinforcements arrived having been summoned by the bell...

A pile of bones, a boat, and a fencepost...

Home and dry!

When you don't have any fall colors, or even a fall season, you have to take matters into your own hands.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #10474
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

note to self - to improve photography skills, wine out, mushrooms in

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 07:40 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #10475
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,261
http://www.bajaboundmoto.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #10476
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Hey guys, TVIP question - I'm going to Mexico in a couple of weeks and was about to apply online the TVIP... I'd recalled something about having to apply 7 days in advance, so thought I had plenty of time. Turns out there is a 7 day processing period, then time for mailing, so seems like it needs at least 3 weeks lead time to get the paperwork. So looks like I have to do it at the border. Plan is go via Baja and get the ferry from La Paz to Matelzan.

My question is - where do I do immigration and TVIP in this case? Any issues I need to watch out for?

thanks

Trevor
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #10477
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Hey guys, TVIP question - I'm going to Mexico in a couple of weeks and was about to apply online the TVIP... I'd recalled something about having to apply 7 days in advance, so thought I had plenty of time. Turns out there is a 7 day processing period, then time for mailing, so seems like it needs at least 3 weeks lead time to get the paperwork. So looks like I have to do it at the border. Plan is go via Baja and get the ferry from La Paz to Matelzan.

My question is - where do I do immigration and TVIP in this case? Any issues I need to watch out for?

thanks

Trevor
Unless it's changed since April, an online TVIP will take about 3 days by Fedex courrier after you've completed the application. When you receive the permit, there is an option to email them addtional info which will not require stopping at the Banjercito office when you enter Mexico....
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #10478
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:

thanks

Trevor

I've only crossed into Baja at Mexicali. If you cross there, the aduana/immigration is right as you cross the border. They were really great about 3 years ago, when they let me in without my original title. I've always thought that if I had been crossing into the US, things wouldn't have gone so well, and I'd have been pounding the slab back to home to pick up said title.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #10479
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I will be leaving from Esuintla, MX tomorrow and going to Mexico City. I will arrive Sunday morning and want to stay in the Historic El Centro. Any recommendations on good cheap hotels with secure parking for my moto. Plus any advise on things to see? I will be there about a week. Thanks!
Forget about any Holiday Inn as being cheap !
Go to. 69 Avenida Republica de Uruguay. There just ride your bike in through the huge
front portal of Hotel Montecarlo . You will get a nice room for $25 or less
Secure parking garage just after you ride past the reception desk.
You will be only 2 blocks SW of the ZOCALO and on a quiet street of stores, offices and other
hotels in the Centro Historico and tourist district with regular police surveillance.
Quite safe area to go walking about . Visit the upper deck of the Torre Latino for a
great view
(if you already booked in at a snooty $$$$. hotel just see how much you
overpaid..... then get a refund and move to my favorite hotel 😉)
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #10480
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
It's always all about the toilet seat!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #10481
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

What IS the big deal about getting crap over the internet? All the messing around
with couriers is just needless complexity , a false sense of importance and
no real time saver since you are taking days to accomplish
something which can be done in minutes in person when at the border.
What if the courier service messes up and you have to delay ?
If you are going to La Paz you can do all this stuff at the ferry terminal
either a day before you sail when relaxing or on actual day of departure of
your ferry , which might make you feel rushed .
A note about getting your tourist card. . DO NOT VOLUNTEER NEEDLESS INFORMATION.
If you happen to be on a long trip which does eventually include a visit to
Central America do NOT reveal that to Mexican Migracion.
You are going to visit Mexico! Give them ANY Mexican destination.
If you blab that you are going to Central America chances are that they
will class you as TRANSITO and give you a 30 day Trasit Permit
The normal Tourist Card costs the same but is valid for 180 days which gives
you more room to roam or use for several visits from the USA
If you were planning on a month and more of Mexican wandering before
CA you shot yourself in the foot,so to speak .
. The same applies when entering Mexico from the south-- hush up ! They do not
need to know every detail of your plans .

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 12:08 PM
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #10482
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
It's always all about the toilet seat!
Toilet seat at the Hotel Montecarlo. Doubles as a thighmaster and shower

Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #10483
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

No , actually , I cannot recall having ever seen one of the
"Turkish" squatter toilets in Mexico .really.
I am familiar with the squatters from visits to campgrounds in various parts of Europe and Morocco.
The toilets in Hotel Montecarlo in Mexico DF are just as good as in the USA with water dumper and a good seat.
THe Mexican solution to broken toilet seats is really very good- they produce new porcelain toilets which are cast with slightly smaller bowl tops and smooth rounded rims . This produces a very comfortable "interface" and you can "download " in comfort , without danger of falling in. These new bowls also remove the problem of ignoramuses ripping the seats off. Certainly they are much more hygenic and easier to keep clean than having the US style flip up seat with cracks and nail holes and mounting hardware. The absolute most stupid feature in US toilets is padded toilet seats.
The squatters are really a good solution , if the ignorant morons insist on missing the target it is a simple matter
of just hosing the entire booth down. They would however be a problem for somebody with bad knees or hips and
can not squattttttttttt

Hotel Montecarlo is really a very nice classy hotel from earlier decades used by business travellers and movie stars and is still a very good well maintained business. It is just that the jet set and the big corporate bidniz travellers have set their sights on the new hotels in other newly upscale parts of town to show off their wealth
.You can see a picture of the hotel just by getting on googlemaps.com and typing in the name and adress and clicking on the image at left to bring up the street scene and then pan around it. Some cretin has just tagged the front stucco with a spray can but that means nothing .
You can actually move down the street tyo the east a few doors and see that the Mexican Stock Exchange is on the other side of the street (Bolsa De Valores)

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 02:11 PM
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #10484
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Go to. 69 Avenida Republica de Uruguay. There just ride your bike in through the huge
front portal of Hotel Montecarlo . You will get a nice room for $25 or less
Secure parking garage just after you ride past the reception desk.
You will be only 2 blocks SW of the ZOCALO and on a quiet street of stores, offices and other
hotels in the Centro Historico and tourist district with regular police surveillance.
Quite safe area to go walking about . Visit the upper deck of the Torre Latino for a
great view
(if you already booked in at a snooty $$$$. hotel just see how much you
overpaid..... then get a refund and move to my favorite hotel ��)

So, the secure parking is NOT in the lot next door but actually in the hotel lobby?.

The DF is on my route this year as well as some high altitude mushroom picking and sheep chasing with MikeMike and the Mystery Rider

Your considerable knowledge of toilets and toilet seats has inspired me to make toilet seats the theme of my MX trip this year. Pictures to follow
Old 10-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #10485
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 934
Quote:

thanks

Trevor
I'll agree with Sjoerd Bakker's comment. Don't do the internet thing. If your bike is stolen or wrecked between the time you do the online thing and get to the border you might have to jump through major hoops get your deposit back and be able to get a new permit. The risk of this is quite small but as Sjoerd Bakker says, it is so easy either when you enter Mexico or In La Paz. I crossed at Mexicali 3 years ago. Simple, just cross at the truck gate, well to the east of the downtown gate. There was no Banjercito downtown 3 years ago.

There is good general info here on my website though most of it is specific to crossing into Sonora. Bien Viaje
http://www.losarcossonora.com/index....ps/attheborder
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote