Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #14071
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Is it all ginger ?
I need another $20 fast to find out.

Damn. Brazillian carpet. I'll know in a few weeks.

You are a sick little man. I like that in a person.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #14072
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I think they're making the right choice; I don't think there's much of a market here for a high end 650.

Now, I do think the market is begging for a WR450R class bike.
Unless it deserved the high price. I too wanted a 660 until you look close and
it seems kinda dated on the suspension. 450s are a little limited on our US
slab speeds. Even if Kawasaki would bring back the KLX 650 with a few updates.

It ends up I will take Tenere where I took the KLR so I'm not as motivated for
a new mid size bike anymore.

The one that is fun for me is my KLX 250. It had a bearing go out in the motor so
as long as it was apart I put a Bill Blue 351cc kit on it.
Fantastic mid range trail riding power. Still the weight benefits of a small bore with the power
of a larger bore. Now if I could just get it to float.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #14073
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I think they're making the right choice; I don't think there's much of a market here for a high end 650.

Now, I do think the market is begging for a WR450R class bike.
I think the price is a key point honestly. I personally think the 660 Tenere would be the perfect blend. a bit lighter than the 800 options, but mainly the reliability history. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable buying an 800xc or gs due to the issues. The 660 will run for thousand and thousands of miles without any headaches. I basically want the reliability of my xt1200z in a smaller package. having the two would be a perfect pair for me. put it this way....I am tempted to use my families address in Italy and buy one from there when my citizenship goes through.
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #14074
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
I think the price is a key point honestly. I personally think the 660 Tenere would be the perfect blend. a bit lighter than the 800 options, but mainly the reliability history. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable buying an 800xc or gs due to the issues. The 660 will run for thousand and thousands of miles without any headaches. I basically want the reliability of my xt1200z in a smaller package. having the two would be a perfect pair for me. put it this way....I am tempted to use my families address in Italy and buy one from there when my citizenship goes through.
The European prices are steep! That said, my son joined the air force and I would be up for getting a used one for sure.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #14075
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
I have both available to me, but, as said earlier, the XT660 price point is a bit high for what you get. I think the design is due for a major upgrade. Their are obvious advantages of lighter weight and more ground clearance, but the big XT12 is actually more stable in many off-road conditions. I'd consider an XT660 if they upgraded the suspsension and tweaked the geometry just a bit. The engine is old school as well. I will definitely acknowledge the reliablity over most any bike in its class though. I suppose if Yamaha sought to aggressivley change the under-powerd, overweight equation with that bike, they might lose some of that reliability.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #14076
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Now if I could just get it to float.
Yeah. Float.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #14077
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,919
Quote:

You, sir, are one sick bastard....

I like that!!!!

$20 for revelation.....quite the bargain!!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #14078
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
I have both available to me, but, as said earlier, the XT660 price point is a bit high for what you get. I think the design is due for a major upgrade. Their are obvious advantages of lighter weight and more ground clearance, but the big XT12 is actually more stable in many off-road conditions. I'd consider an XT660 if they upgraded the suspsension and tweaked the geometry just a bit. The engine is old school as well. I will definitely acknowledge the reliablity over most any bike in its class though. I suppose if Yamaha sought to aggressivley change the under-powerd, overweight equation with that bike, they might lose some of that reliability.
People always change out suspension so that wouldnt be of concern for me. I want a bike that will run forever and the 660 will do that. I am done messing with valves every 6,000 or 12,000 miles. I agree it needs an upgrade, so maybe we will see a Tenere xt800z in the near future?
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #14079
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Yeah. Float.

Looks like the Elders are about to baptize a Yamaha. (Mormon joke)
Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #14080
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Looks like the Elders are about to baptize a Yamaha. (Mormon joke)
It was a group baptizmal, 2 WRs and a CRF.

Come to think of it, I was pinching the nose (holding my hand over the exhaust opening) in that picture...

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #14081
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,706
Laugh Well, maybe... but...

Quote:
It was a group baptizmal, 2 WRs and a CRF.

Come to think of it, I was pinching the nose (holding my hand over the exhaust opening) in that picture...

Would that be more like pinching its a**hole than its nose?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #14082
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Would that be more like pinching its a**hole than its nose?
Assholes are self sealing.

Noses and exhausts, not so much.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #14083
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Assholes are self sealing.

Noses and exhausts, not so much.
The man has a point there !
Old 10-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #14084
airheadpilot
Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer: 280
Oil Light on Cold Engine

I don't remember ever reading anything like this, so I don't think it's 205, but I had a heartstopping moment the other day. I left for work as I do every morning and let the bike idle while I put in my earplugs, put on my helmet, and pulled on my gloves. Call it 60 seconds maximum. I then left home and rode out to the freeway, which is about two blocks from my house. It was early in the morning, so I didn't have to wait for traffic or lights in order to get on the freeway. As I got to the bottom of the on-ramp, my merging head check revealed a tractor-trailer bearing down on me in the lane that I needed to be in. I wailed hard on the throttle (probably harder than I should have on a cold engine) to get out in front of him. As soon as I was on the freeway I glanced down and saw that the oil pressure light was illuminated. I immediately pulled over onto the shoulder and made my way up to the next exit in the breakdown lane at low rpms. After 10 seconds or so, the light went out and didn't come back on.

Naturally, I had visions of some kind of catastrophic oil leak, but when I got off the freeway and put the bike on the center stand, I could see in the sight glass that the oil level was exactly right - perfectly in between the low mark and the high mark. There was no evidence of any leaks, so I started back up and went on to work. The light has not come back on since, although I have been more careful to baby it until it comes up to temperature.

Anyone else have an experience like this? I'm assuming that my hard revving while cold meant that the thicker, cold oil couldn't circulate fast enough, but that frankly seems a little strange to me.

Thanks,

Andrew
1971 Ambassador
1972 R75/5
1983 R80ST
2003 XR400R
2004 V11 Le Mans
2012 Super Tenere
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #14085
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadpilot View Post
I don't remember ever reading anything like this, so I don't think it's 205, but I had a heartstopping moment the other day. I left for work as I do every morning and let the bike idle while I put in my earplugs, put on my helmet, and pulled on my gloves. Call it 60 seconds maximum. I then left home and rode out to the freeway, which is about two blocks from my house. It was early in the morning, so I didn't have to wait for traffic or lights in order to get on the freeway. As I got to the bottom of the on-ramp, my merging head check revealed a tractor-trailer bearing down on me in the lane that I needed to be in. I wailed hard on the throttle (probably harder than I should have on a cold engine) to get out in front of him. As soon as I was on the freeway I glanced down and saw that the oil pressure light was illuminated. I immediately pulled over onto the shoulder and made my way up to the next exit in the breakdown lane at low rpms. After 10 seconds or so, the light went out and didn't come back on.

Naturally, I had visions of some kind of catastrophic oil leak, but when I got off the freeway and put the bike on the center stand, I could see in the sight glass that the oil level was exactly right - perfectly in between the low mark and the high mark. There was no evidence of any leaks, so I started back up and went on to work. The light has not come back on since, although I have been more careful to baby it until it comes up to temperature.

Anyone else have an experience like this? I'm assuming that my hard revving while cold meant that the thicker, cold oil couldn't circulate fast enough, but that frankly seems a little strange to me.

Thanks,

Andrew
1971 Ambassador
1972 R75/5
1983 R80ST
2003 XR400R
2004 V11 Le Mans
2012 Super Tenere
has happened to many - just add another 200ml to top of sight-glass and enjoy the ride
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote