User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #48301
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Trip Report Up!

So, I had a few people ask me where my trip report was, and I realized that would probably be a good idea as I haven't really heard of anyone who has attempted a Central and South America trip on an XRL, so here it is:

http://advrider.com/forums/newthread...postthread&f=2

Made it Mazatlan today via the ferry after a mad dash through La Paz yesterday trying to get a tourist card. About to head out to Autozone to pick up some break cleaner. Regards!
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #48302
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Like previously posted though, if they want your bike they're gonna take it. I mean the thing only weighs 300 pounds so two guys and a pick up truck could have thee thing gone quick.
Well, at least the chain is chained to the bike and then to a fence pole. So, they would need to first break the chain/lock and then lift the bike. I will add a kill switch and a front disc lock as well. I also need more farkles and surely a cover for the winter. Sigh. There's even a Yamaha V-Max that noone cares to steal and it doesn't have any locks or anything. Hell, I would love to steal a classic V-Max well before my XR.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #48303
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oops...

So, I don't think that the link worked so here's a better one: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post19927601

Cheers!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #48304
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
So, I don't think that the link worked so here's a better one: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post19927601

Cheers!
Hey, Ulyses,

Happy to see the report. Isn't it fun to travel and get bad information (visitor cards at the ferry? airport? no where??).

Be sure to tell elsalvadorklr that you are going through Central America. We all really want to know about his bar! He has talked so much about riding and drinking with him that we can't stand it anymore. A full report with pictures is required.

Stay safe.

PD
Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #48305
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Holy shit,,,,,,,,you been learnin.......i hadta get me dictionery out for alot of em big words...still don`t know what the hell you were meanin there,,use smaller werds wills ya..

B
What I am saying is that SOME people think a great, correct in every way write up makes what they say 100% true 100% of the time.

Not so.

Your spelling and grammar sucks! Get a PHD will ya. Do you ride another bike besides the Honda?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #48306
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
What I am saying is that SOME people think a great, correct in every way write up makes what they say 100% true 100% of the time.

Not so.

Your spelling and grammar sucks! Get a PHD will ya. Do you ride another bike besides the Honda?
I like all the commas,,,,,,,,,,must be a Canadian thing We love you though Brian!

John
Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #48307
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
also looking for a stock exhaust too, gonna try my hand at modifyin a stock one, need some one local with one or someone to only charge me shipping for a good one.
thanks brian
Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #48308
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Get a 6Gal Tank.
LOL, that's why I want Kubiak to get another XRL, he was making some AWESOME tanks

-Barron
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #48309
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Can always count on Fritz tellin it like it is

Thanks Fritz.........i really do love you...

B

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #48310
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Ulyses,

Happy to see the report. Isn't it fun to travel and get bad information (visitor cards at the ferry? airport? no where??).

Be sure to tell elsalvadorklr that you are going through Central America. We all really want to know about his bar! He has talked so much about riding and drinking with him that we can't stand it anymore. A full report with pictures is required.

Stay safe.

PD
Man, from what I've heard of El Salvador, I might just skip it.....
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #48311
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I really cann't believe some would critize MY sentance structure. I mean I'm a graduate of the Evelyn WoodHead Sped Reden Course. And my spelling, F__ken Perfect.

F--k, I RIDE a BMW!!! What a dumb dick I are.
You tell 'em, Fritz! We don't need no book learnin'.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #48312
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I'm sure the PowerCore is much louder than the Q4 muffler, Red. However, I would install the quiet insert in the PowerCore muffler, which is reported to lower the sound level quite a bit. The combined cost of the PowerCore muffler and quiet insert is still much less than the price of the Q4 muffler.

http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/MX/599

Spud
The DG is a great price...I didn't see it when I was shopping or I might have picked it up. I think I still still like my Big Gun better tho, looks alot sharper imo, and came with the quiet insert and spark screen included. Plus its very well put together with some nice extra features. Its also a little longer than the DG, which might help some with the noise factor. With the quiet insert in its actually pretty reasonable sound wise, no earplugs needed trail riding, but I do use them for the highway running. And it really helped the power alot from the bottom to the top. And its WAY lighter than the stocker I believe I picked it up for $243 total with free shipping.

I'm a big fan of aftermarket silencers, you gain a big performance boost and lose weight, plus it just enhances the desmogging/derestricting/jetting/slide drilling and opened up airbox and free flowing filter we pretty much all do anyways.....plus they look damn good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
How much pressure were you running and what kind of speeds were you clocking? I'd guess that it got hot and starting chunking knobs. Low psi and high speeds on blacktop will eat a knobbie alive.
[QUOTE=Walterxr650l;19919762]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Had a rear tire blow-out yesterday. Dunlop D606 with about 1300 miles. Haven't pulled the tire to see where the tube failed. This tire was almost all road miles. 9 of the 22 center lugs were torn. Too hard on the acceleration?

/QUOTE]

I have never run a D606, because I have seen other pictures like that on this site. Probably in the early pages of this thread, but I'm not sure on that part. The 0one common thing that I noticed is that the chunking was always reported to have happened on pavement, not in the dirt. That makes me wonder if it is caused by a tire heat/tire pressure problem. In other words would a higher tire pressure cause the tire to run cooler and thus not chunk. Given the high price of the D606 I am unwilling to test this theory for myself. If I did have a D606, I would run it at the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall, when riding on pavement.

Walter
You know I've seen more than a few pictures and heard stories like this of D606's......starting to make me wonder.
I'm running a set of Sedona 887IT's that I picked up locally for 100 bucks...so far they've been awesome on and off road, if I can get any kind of reasonable mileage out of them I'm going to get another set......the rear REALLY digs in and hooks awesome, suits the xrl's power characteristics perfectly. They literally make the bike feel 100lbs lighter.....and I can't beat the price Plus they are tough as hell, I haven't lost a lug yet and I've been hitting some gnarly rocky terrian under power, and 65-70 on the road
Btw I'm running 22psi front and rear, both dirt and road.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #48313
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Come on out... plenty of room here. Just keep the California thing to yourself I'll keep your secret safe

Where are you at in Ca? In NorCal there is tons of open space. Incredible really.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #48314
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
The Power Core is quite a bit louder than the Q4, but not obnoxious.

Speaking of mufflers, I see Yoshimura makes ones. Anyone on here tried it?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #48315
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 776
This just popped up locally to me.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3374057366.html
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote